Official Judo Thread

How did everybody find the match? Both judoka could have been given hansoku make imo. Especially Maruyama for his inactivity and step outs.

I am really happy for the winner because he is my favorite judoka to watch, and hope he will take Olympic gold next year.

That match was everything wrong with Judo.

35 minutes of pattycake from the best athletes in the world, a half-million people watching, and it ended in a bobdamn koka.

Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 8.27.19 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 8.27.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 8.23.56 PM.png
wHy WoN't AnYbOdY wAtCh OuR sPoRt?!?!

Oh, and the advertised stream was region-locked just in case anybody actually did want to watch.

Turtling should be a shido.

Honestly, I think that fundamentally it was a stalemate. They really tried to win but were so evenly matched that this shit dragged on for half an hour and in the end some ugly o uchi gari was all it took but it could have gone both ways, sort of. I mean this was not even a test in judo but a test in endurance and concentration.

But I suck at watching judo so maybe I am saying shit.

That's exactly the problem! You shouldn't have to be *good* at watching Judo to understand what's going on. MMA, Tennis, Curling, Snowboarding, even if you've never seen the sport before, you can watch for 5 minutes and fundamentally understand what's going on.

That's the problem with competitive Judo - with the ruleset as it is, evenly-matched people, even the best in the world, will stalemate.

That's exactly the problem! You shouldn't have to be *good* at watching Judo to understand what's going on. MMA, Tennis, Curling, Snowboarding, even if you've never seen the sport before, you can watch for 5 minutes and fundamentally understand what's going on.

That's the problem with competitive Judo - with the ruleset as it is, evenly-matched people, even the best in the world, will stalemate.

Not sure I entirely follow though. The obscure rules are there, I thought, precisely to make it more watchable for the non-judoka, so that we end up with an upright style without stalling and many high-amplitude throws.

Yes, when the two very best meet in a "super high stakes judo match", it ends up sucking, but in general we still get HL reel after HL reel. Guys like Lasha, Shohei Ono, Muki, Abe and Maruyama generally deal utter death and destruction.

it's the same thing with MMA - uneven matchups and hungry up-and-comers put in a helluva show, but guys trying to advance will fight conservatively and play for points. it's a smart strategy for sure, but it's boring as a spectator.

the match above is anything but watchable. I'll shout it from the mountaintops - turtling is noncombativity and should be a shido

It's all about matchups. I always like Pride better than UFC, because they made matchups that weren't all grinds. Yes have title matches for hardcore fans, but let's be honest freakshows are fun too.

Judo should mix it up too. Superfights, open weights, newaza. Nobody wants to grind through watching yet another tournament of evenly matched players, both in skill and physicality.

Hey BTW what is the reason for Canada's pretty good results in international competitions, recently? Around # 5 in terms of medals, which is kind of unexpected in a way, for a small-ish country with no grappling tradition at all.

Hey BTW what is the reason for Canada's pretty good results in international competitions, recently? Around # 5 in terms of medals, which is kind of unexpected in a way, for a small-ish country with no grappling tradition at all.

Canada has a HUGE grappling tradition. Because we are small it hasnt really stood out. Very nice judo and wrestling for years and years tho.

Dood! You're from Quebec. They're amazing.

Last edited:
"rolled" for the first time in over a year (fuck.you COVID) when childhood friend and wresting teammate (we are now 40 year old dads) decided to initiate a friendly grappling encounter while getting good and drunk....

I released the triangle after I locked it in to not put him out, then swept him with ease...

We gasped for breath then laughed...and drank more

Dude owned me in HS...a brown in Judo and a blue in BJJ later after 20+ years...

Never stop training...

"rolled" for the first time in over a year (fuck.you COVID) when childhood friend and wresting teammate (we are now 40 year old dads) decided to initiate a friendly grappling encounter while getting good and drunk....

I released the triangle after I locked it in to not put him out, then swept him with ease...

We gasped for breath then laughed...and drank more

Dude owned me in HS...a brown in Judo and a blue in BJJ later after 20+ years...

Never stop training...
Good to hear it mate. I forget people on the other side of the world haven't been able to train!

Good to hear it mate. I forget people on the other side of the world haven't been able to train!

It wasn't even macho shit. We laughed and drank more..
Damn I miss that comradre

Last edited:
2021_selected_tokyo_tamerlan_bashaev.jpg

Russia selected Bashaev instead of Tasoev for the +100kg category <KhabibBS>

Visited my old coach's club and promoted to club rank of Shodan. I know what club rank means, but still an honor from my Coach and friend of 15 years.
Congrats brother. I respect any club shodans we have, just as much as the others.

Congrats brother. I respect any club shodans we have, just as much as the others.

Thanks brother!

Total shock and maybe something in my eyes:

Coach (7th Dan): "(Thrawn) has my full respect, and confidence, and has even coached some of you in tournaments when I couldn't, so he will wear this when he visits this club..."

Felt great. Even forgot to line up up front with the Dans for bowing off.

Back