Official Judo Thread

well that's because we're old as fuck.

bruh going back after the pandemic was rough. lost all my anti-spin equilibrium for backrolls, shins got all bruised up from citrus belt footsweep attempts, even took a couple of falls in randori where my brain was like "yeah bro, that one hurt, you're old as fuck" and i'm like "shut up brain, judo is pain"

totally get why it's a young man's sport after that much time laid off. stayed in shape, kept doing uchikomi to keep technique sharp, but definitely lost the body conditioning...not even like cardiowise just raw skin where calluses used to be and getting purple bruises for the first time in a decade.

Thoughts on the upcoming Olympic judo? I'm pretty invested now we have some bets going at our club.

I'm expecting some changing of the guard and looking at Haecker as Australia's best ever shot at a medal... though I'm not holding my breath!

Thoughts on the upcoming Olympic judo? I'm pretty invested now we have some bets going at our club.

I'm expecting some changing of the guard and looking at Haecker as Australia's best ever shot at a medal... though I'm not holding my breath!
I hope Hifumi Abe will get gold tomorrow, he is the most exciting thrower in all of Judo

81kg and 90kg should both be fun

It is impressive how Ono got injured after the olympics and took quite a long time to rehab, then came back; dominated at the 2019 world championships and is probably the biggest favorite of any weight category in judo.

I'm glad Naohiso Takato managed to get gold. He's been such an entertaining staple at the very top of judo for so long it would have been a shame to see him get anything less at what is probably his last Olympics.

Anyone see the 60kg bronze medal match between the Korean and Frenchman? An absolute shit show of a refereeing job.

I love this double sleeve-osoto gari from Hifumi Abe, his athleticism is up there and he even knocked a guy out with the same osoto gari earlier this year

I recently left a BJJ school and found a new place to train. They offer Judo and Wrestling in addition to my BJJ.

I don’t know if it’s the fresh perspective or something else but I’m enjoying my judo more than anything else. I’m a 4 stripe white belt in BJJ.

With this new school I can only train 1-2 days a week. I’m not overly concerned with promotion just trying to be realistic about my development.

Training 1-2 days a week, will this have me ready for competition or should I just learn these techniques for my BJJ game? I’ve tried to find schools to practice judo more and they don’t fit my schedule unfortunately.

the majority of adult judo below black belt is hobbyist so don't be afraid to enter novice divisions after a few months. you'll be fine. Judo's so rough that unless you start young and are in hellacious shape it's best to limit yourself to 2-3 nights per week and giving yourself time to recover, especially if you have a more physical job.

Watching the Olympics from up here on Mt. Toldyaso. Half the matches going into golden score and folks getting Hansokumaked in Gold medal matches.

How dynamic and exciting.

They never should have removed leg grabs. They ruined it.

That said, heartbroken for Arthur Margelidon making a small mistake and getting subbed in the 73kg bronze match but absolutely stoked that Ono beat Lasha in the final. Lasha is the ultimate snoozefest antijudo while Ono is the Judoka's judoka with the best style since Koga and carries the entire sport on his back. Love that he repeatee for Gold especially at Lasha's expense. Traditional Japanese Judo lives on ❤

As a ref, I think we need to head in a direction that takes the trajectory of the matches out of our hands and back into the players'. We've done a good job in recent years giving people more time in newaza, but there's still far too much time in every match where players just stop and stare at the referee.

I absolutely want leg grabs back, but not just for the throws. Where Judo is really awkward from both a grappler and spectator point of view is the lack of scrambling. There's this sentiment that somehow scrambling situations would be *dangerous*, but I don't give much credence to arbitrary dangers in a sport where the objective is throwing someone ass-over-head on their back as hard as possible.

I'd seriously considered getting my national ref certification, but I just don't find Judo competitions that enjoyable anymore. The techniques and the practices? Absolutely. Lifelong obsession. But the current competitive meta? Meh. I think it's doing a disservice to some spectacular athletes, and I think it's hindering the development of an entire generation.

If I can find the video later, or someone else does, Mahjoub vs Frey is the worst scoring call I've probably ever seen.

2021_selected_tokyo_tamerlan_bashaev.jpg

Russia selected Bashaev instead of Tasoev for the +100kg category <KhabibBS>
<{chips}>

Back