Official Judo Thread

Recently i have been pretty impressed about how consistently gorgeous Baruch Shmailov's kata guruma looks.

Great videos, thanks for sharing.

It's interesting to see how kata guruma has been adapted to fit with the no leg grabs rule. It's not a throw I ever did so I never took much notice of it but I always assumed it would disappear once leg grabs were banned.

Great videos, thanks for sharing.

It's interesting to see how kata guruma has been adapted to fit with the no leg grabs rule. It's not a throw I ever did so I never took much notice of it but I always assumed it would disappear once leg grabs were banned.
It was already popular to do this way even before the rule change (fun fact: Chuck Norris out of all people did it to Randy Savage in a Walker Texas Ranger episode, lol), so it wasn't really an adaption of the technique especially for the rule change. I usually did kata guruma like that in randori before the change, because i like the strong pull you can create with the grip.

But yeah, i think it wouldn't have disappeared either way, because the technique is uniquely well suited against immovable judoka and therefore too valuable to just let go of. Professor Kano added it to Judo especially because he was unable to throw a guy named Fukushima whom he was unable to move. Because of that, he actually talked to Sumo experts first because Sumo obviously focuses on moving somebody heavy, but he couldn't throw Fukushima with Sumo techniques either, which is why he looked into a western wrestling manual and finally managed to utilize this specific technique to throw him. Fukushima ended up committing suicide for unrelated reasons by walking into a river and hitting himself over the head with a stone, falling unconscious and drowning.

Regardless of how stupid the background music is, this was a beautiful Uchi Mata.

Beautiful throw and Interesting she initiated as uchi mata with a sode tsurikomi goshi grip. I wonder why she didn't go for regular sode once securing the double sleeve grip. Maybe that's her normal way of hitting it? Or maybe the rhythm of the capoeira berimbolo put her in a funky state of mind lol.

It was already popular to do this way even before the rule change (fun fact: Chuck Norris out of all people did it to Randy Savage in a Walker Texas Ranger episode, lol), so it wasn't really an adaption of the technique especially for the rule change. I usually did kata guruma like that in randori before the change, because i like the strong pull you can create with the grip.

But yeah, i think it wouldn't have disappeared either way, because the technique is uniquely well suited against immovable judoka and therefore too valuable to just let go of. Professor Kano added it to Judo especially because he was unable to throw a guy named Fukushima whom he was unable to move. Because of that, he actually talked to Sumo experts first because Sumo obviously focuses on moving somebody heavy, but he couldn't throw Fukushima with Sumo techniques either, which is why he looked into a western wrestling manual and finally managed to utilize this specific technique to throw him. Fukushima ended up committing suicide for unrelated reasons by walking into a river and hitting himself over the head with a stone, falling unconscious and drowning.

My Japanese mother apparently grew up with some prejudices and one thing I remember her telling me as a kid (growing up in California) was that sumo wrestlers train by eating up all the food and then hitting each other over the head with stones to make themselves stupider. I wonder if that misnomer somehow originated from this incident with Fukushima.

Beautiful throw and Interesting she initiated as uchi mata with a sode tsurikomi goshi grip. I wonder why she didn't go for regular sode once securing the double sleeve grip. Maybe that's her normal way of hitting it? Or maybe the rhythm of the capoeira berimbolo put her in a funky state of mind lol.
Uta Abe is usually more of a Newaza player, but i guess she tried to be extra fancy, since i believe this was her return after a 1 year long injury break. She hit a lot of insane stuff in the tournament. I think she won another match via Uchi Mata from a georgian grip, threw another girl with an one handed Morote Seoi Nage and won the finals after a half-nelson hammerlock turnover into Osaekomi.

My Japanese mother apparently grew up with some prejudices and one thing I remember her telling me as a kid (growing up in California) was that sumo wrestlers train by eating up all the food and then hitting each other over the head with stones to make themselves stupider. I wonder if that misnomer somehow originated from this incident with Fukushima.
It might be based on the idea of different Karate styles making their bones tougher by hitting hard surfaces. Interestingly though, olympic Judo medalist Allen Coage (aka "Bad News Allen") had a pro-wrestling feud with Yoshiaki Fujiwara in Japan about who has the most robust skull, where they would do things like that. The feud was cancelled after Fujiwara developed a (permanent) stutter from the brain damage. The stutter is the reason Karl Gotch said Fujiwara wouldn't make a good catch wrestling coach even though he has great skills.

Last edited:
Uta Abe is usually more of a Newaza player, but i guess she tried to be extra fancy, since i believe this was her return after a 1 year long injury break. She hit a lot of insane stuff in the tournament. I think she won another match via Uchi Mata from a georgian grip, threw another girl with an one handed Morote Seoi Nage and won the finals after a half-nelson hammerlock turnover into Osaekomi.

That's impressive. I haven't followed competitive Judo in awhile but I would have thought throws from "unconventional" grips would be pretty rare with the 3 second grip limit in place. I haven't been to Judo class since my knee injury back in May (but feeling OK to go back soon), but the instructor always yelled at me for holding grips too long or WTF ever during randori. I used to like uchi mata from georgian grip but would hold it for however long until I got an opening. If you have to grip and go within 3 seconds, that reduces my game to dancing the f'ing waltz with "conventional" grips.

It might be based on the idea of different Karate styles making their bones tougher by hitting hard surfaces. Interestingly though, olympic Judo medalist Allen Coage (aka "Bad News Allen") had a pro-wrestling feud with Yoshiaki Fujiwara in Japan about who has the most robust skull, where they would do things like that. The feud was cancelled after Fujiwara developed a (permanent) stutter from the brain damage. The stutter is the reason Karl Gotch said Fujiwara wouldn't make a good catch wrestling coach even though he has great skills.

I would have thought Kazuyuki Fujita's skull already put this debate to rest, but I suppose he wasn't around back then. Re. sumotori hitting heads with stones, I don't think my mom's comment was meant literally. I suspect it was some trope parents in her prefecture told kids to encourage them to stay in school and get good grades rather than aspire to be the meatheads they wanted them to think sumo wrestlers were.

That's impressive. I haven't followed competitive Judo in awhile but I would have thought throws from "unconventional" grips would be pretty rare with the 3 second grip limit in place.
They are the opposite of rare. The do, in fact, happen all the time. The grip limit doesn't really do anything because even with a conventional grip, you'd get a penalty for "stalling" if you hold it significantly longer than 3 seconds. The only thing those petty limits do is lead to every competitor collecting a bunch of Shidos in almost every match, which in turn doesn't really do anything except lead to the odd annoying disqualification or decision after the time limit expires. It's in essence an unnecessary rule that doesn't have any influence on how the actual match looks but just makes it that judoka keep getting Shidos even when they were clearly not trying to play dirty.

Interestingly, Uta Abe's brother, Hifumi Abe, also does like to do one handed flippy shit.

I haven't been to Judo class since my knee injury back in May (but feeling OK to go back soon), but the instructor always yelled at me for holding grips too long or WTF ever during randori. I used to like uchi mata from georgian grip but would hold it for however long until I got an opening. If you have to grip and go within 3 seconds, that reduces my game to dancing the f'ing waltz with "conventional" grips.
The difficulty in creating an opening even after establishing a grip as opposed to waiting for one is my bigggest problem in Tachiwaza as well, which is why i was always better at counter throws or combinations from failed attempts. For some reason though, approximately 5 years ago i started liking offensively using Tai Otoshi after like 15 years or so of not being good at it.
I would have thought Kazuyuki Fujita's skull already put this debate to rest, but I suppose he wasn't around back then. Re. sumotori hitting heads with stones, I don't think my mom's comment was meant literally. I suspect it was some trope parents in her prefecture told kids to encourage them to stay in school and get good grades rather than aspire to be the meatheads they wanted them to think sumo wrestlers were.
Something about using sumo wrestlers specifically for the example makes me chuckle. It seems so arbitrary.

They are the opposite of rare. The do, in fact, happen all the time. The grip limit doesn't really do anything because even with a conventional grip, you'd get a penalty for "stalling" if you hold it significantly longer than 3 seconds. The only thing those petty limits do is lead to every competitor collecting a bunch of Shidos in almost every match, which in turn doesn't really do anything except lead to the odd annoying disqualification or decision after the time limit expires. It's in essence an unnecessary rule that doesn't have any influence on how the actual match looks but just makes it that judoka keep getting Shidos even when they were clearly not trying to play dirty.

Interestingly, Uta Abe's brother, Hifumi Abe, also does like to do one handed flippy shit.

Holy hell that is beautiful. But isn't that a sleeve grip variant of reverse seoi nage that just got banned?

And they don't stop the action for grip shidos? Like you could just hold a georgian grip for 10 seconds after shido and go for the throw without hansoku make? I read somewhere that shidos aren't a factor unless you accumulate more than 3 but I thought the ref stops the action and makes you reset. That's what our Judo instructor does during randori (but only for me because apparently I'm supposed to know better) but he's a complete tool.

The difficulty in creating an opening even after establishing a grip as opposed to waiting for one is my bigggest problem in Tachiwaza as well, which is why i was always better at counter throws or combinations from failed attempts. For some reason though, approximately 5 years ago i started liking offensively using Tai Otoshi after like 15 years or so of not being good at it.

This is interesting because I've actually been liking tai otoshi for the past few years myself, after not having any success with it for years. But part of that is because randori with BJJ guys (many of whom have the TDs of a wet noodle) has opened up my offensive game more. When I did Judo back in the 90's I was always training with other competitors who wouldn't give an inch and many of whom were better than me. So I was always forced to play defensively. Now I really like tai otoshi both in gi or from underhooks or head and arm from collar tie up in nogi. But I have to be careful because I injured my knee 2 months ago hitting it on a bigger dude - I didn't quite get him over so dropped to my knee to get lower and complete the throw, but the mat impact on my knee (with 210 lbs uke hiked up on my shoulder) dicked it up. I remember some old coral belt telling me years ago to not drop the knee to the mat when doing tai otoshi and now I know why.

Something about using sumo wrestlers specifically for the example makes me chuckle. It seems so arbitrary.

Lol it is funny in hindsight. I think it was a "big and dumb" trope families that encourage their kids to focus on academics like to throw around. The image of a stable of sumotori brainlessly downing 10 bowls of chankonabe and then hitting each other over the head with stones while asking about the rabbits is pretty hilarious.

Holy hell that is beautiful. But isn't that a sleeve grip variant of reverse seoi nage that just got banned?
Only that one specific korean Seoi Nage got banned because of the arm break risk if uke can't release his grip. Korean Seoi Nage usually goes straight backwards for Uke as well and he isn't really flipped. What Abe is doing here looks more like some insane one handed Sode Tsurikomi Goshi. But either way, there is no arm bend risk and it's not illegal.

Day 2 of the Zagreb GP has been pretty decent as well regarding ippons btw.

And they don't stop the action for grip shidos? Like you could just hold a georgian grip for 10 seconds after shido and go for the throw without hansoku make? I read somewhere that shidos aren't a factor unless you accumulate more than 3 but I thought the ref stops the action and makes you reset. That's what our Judo instructor does during randori (but only for me because apparently I'm supposed to know better) but he's a complete tool.
Your instructor is correct. The do start again. My point was just that it doesn't really matter if your grip is uncoventional or conventional, as shidos, and therefore restarts, happen from conventional grips as well when the ref decides you're stalling, which often times happens after similarly short times. Therefore, there is no significant strategic disadvantage to unconventional grips and from a spectator perspective the techniques end up identical, the only difference being a bunch of resets (which, realistically, happen fairly often anyway if you consider grip breaks and resets from moving off the mat). The most interesting thing that might happen is if both competitors are one Shido away from hansoku-make and it becomes a contest of trying to not get disqualified (which is difficult, because you have to still be offensive to not get another Shido).

This is interesting because I've actually been liking tai otoshi for the past few years myself, after not having any success with it for years. But part of that is because randori with BJJ guys (many of whom have the TDs of a wet noodle) has opened up my offensive game more. When I did Judo back in the 90's I was always training with other competitors who wouldn't give an inch and many of whom were better than me. So I was always forced to play defensively. Now I really like tai otoshi both in gi or from underhooks or head and arm from collar tie up in nogi. But I have to be careful because I injured my knee 2 months ago hitting it on a bigger dude - I didn't quite get him over so dropped to my knee to get lower and complete the throw, but the mat impact on my knee (with 210 lbs uke hiked up on my shoulder) dicked it up. I remember some old coral belt telling me years ago to not drop the knee to the mat when doing tai otoshi and now I know why.
Knee injuries suck and i'd rather take off too long than too short after one. Fortunately, the only injuries i ever got from training Judo was a broken pinkie toe from a poorly aimed Deashi Barai and a freak accident where i completely snapped my heel vertically after getting thrown with a Kouchi Makikomi where tori somehow stepped so deep that he trapped my foot so it got twisted like a heel hook on my way down.

Lol it is funny in hindsight. I think it was a "big and dumb" trope families that encourage their kids to focus on academics like to throw around. The image of a stable of sumotori brainlessly downing 10 bowls of chankonabe and then hitting each other over the head with stones while asking about the rabbits is pretty hilarious.
My girlfriends mom (from China) always told her similar stories about people from Inner Mongolia, lol

It just keeps happening ...

Nice Ude Garami finish too. Released too late after the tap though imo.

Last edited:
It just keeps happening ...

Damn that looks so ridiculous, it's like a troll move. From the ref's angle, surprised it was only waza ari. From that angle I'd probably go for tai otoshi and maybe I should try it out like this with a sode sleeve grip when my knee is healthy enough to get back to standing randori.

Nice Ude Garami finish too. Released too late after the tap though imo.

Kind of a Paul Harris extra delayed release but he's clearly looking at the ref to end it. Ref just half-assedly waving toketa while he's tapping in pain - he should have jumped in and stopped the action while calling ippon.

Last edited:
Damn that looks so ridiculous, it's like a troll move. From the ref's angle, surprised it was only waza ari. From that angle I'd probably go for tai otoshi and maybe I should try it out like this with a sode sleeve grip when my knee is healthy enough to get back to standing randori.
If someone made a tutorial for this throw on YouTube it would probably be widely considered a bullshit Aikido move, lol
Kind of a Paul Harris extra delayed release but he's clearly looking at the ref to end it. Ref just half-assedly waving toketa while he's tapping in pain - he should have jumped in and stopped the action while calling ippon.
Yeah, i can't really blame Nagasawa too much here, with the unresponsive Ref and also the ridiculously tough Brasnjovic as an opponent. I didn't expect him to be able to roll out of that Osaekomi in the first place. I see how Nagasawa won't take any risk.

If someone made a tutorial for this throw on YouTube it would probably be widely considered a bullshit Aikido move, lol

This is the one I want as my tokui waza. 0% chance of blowing out my knee or ankle if I could pull this off in randori. But alas, my chi is not yet worthy so I'll settle for one arm sode.

PSA:

If you are a new BJJ white belt do not try that osoto thing you discovered online against the BJJ Blue/Long time Judo Brown who loves osoto when you ask for a hard roll....

Holy shit it was an automatic/reflexive counter and we were both lucky I was able to soften it at the last second and its less torque in no gi....I kinda feel bad

Holy shit.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2022/8/...urder-of-childhood-friend-mongolia-crime-news

"The first Mongolian athlete to ever win an Olympic Gold medal for his country has been jailed for the brutal murder of his childhood friend.

Naidangiin Tüvshinbayar, a champion judoka and the former president of the Mongolian National Olympic Committee, was handed a 16-year jail sentence by the court of the Khan-Uul district of the Mongolian capital Ulaanbaatar following a year-long and well-publicized trial that gripped the nation."

Holy shit.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2022/8/...urder-of-childhood-friend-mongolia-crime-news

"The first Mongolian athlete to ever win an Olympic Gold medal for his country has been jailed for the brutal murder of his childhood friend.

Naidangiin Tüvshinbayar, a champion judoka and the former president of the Mongolian National Olympic Committee, was handed a 16-year jail sentence by the court of the Khan-Uul district of the Mongolian capital Ulaanbaatar following a year-long and well-publicized trial that gripped the nation."
This is the guy who made judo so boring, they got rid of leg attacks?

Some nice Ippons in Ecuador. In the last few months, Sode Tsurikomi Goshi seems to have been more popular for some reason.

And of course, one clip with unfitting, retarded music like always with the IJF twitter.

Last edited:
PSA:

If you are a new BJJ white belt do not try that osoto thing you discovered online against the BJJ Blue/Long time Judo Brown who loves osoto when you ask for a hard roll....

Holy shit it was an automatic/reflexive counter and we were both lucky I was able to soften it at the last second and its less torque in no gi....I kinda feel bad

I've been there a few times, my version of nice is that I try to stay standing after the counter o soto and hop away instead of landing in kesa and driving them into the mat.

Back