Official Judo Thread

I don't think there is supposed to be one fixed intensity during randori. It depends, among other things, on who your partner is. But even with that considered, there is a difference between going hard and and just trying not to lose. The latter is something one of those competition addicts in my club always asked me to do so he can prepare to deal with passive opponents in tournaments.

+1

The Judo club I came up in always did hard randori. The truly advanced guys always came out relaxed, but they were still trying to bounce me off the ceiling whenever they could capitalize. Basically randori = shiai at that club.

The thing is, to actually get good at timing and kuzushi, you have to be allowed to work the move whether you're good enough to impose it or other guy is allowing you to. It's like Joe Rogan's BJJ analogy of finding a random blue belt and just beating the shit out of him, learning how to work your game. But if you're the blue belt, you either need to find resisting guys who suck worse than you do or just "flow roll" with guys allowing you to hit the throws with minimal or partial resistance.

Last edited:
Good to see Kaori Matsumoto training. I'd love to see her come out of retirement, even if only for the Master's circuit. One of the most entertaining and well-rounded competitors in the last decade.
*Looks at name*

Hmm, wonder what your tokui-waza is.

Last edited:
The Worlds are being held on the 6-13th of this month in Tashkent. Who are we looking forward to watching most?

Who participates? Is there a list?
I don't know if there is a list available. Each country has a national governing body that picks who is going to represent them, I think most countries will have published their team by now.

I don't know if there is a list available. Each country has a national governing body that picks who is going to represent them, I think most countries will have published their team by now.
There is a wikipedia article for the 2022 World Judo Championships, so thanks to the references i was able to find out who participates.

Uta Abe and her brother Hifumi, as well as Hamada Shori are there. Safe to say we're going to see some banger ippons.

I used to be quite keen on Osoto Gari. But no, I don't know what you're referring to.

The OG Sith Lord of Osoto Gari is back from Valhalla.
He's been perfecting the rape choke for the past five years and is back to grace us with his wisdom.
You've been missed.

Uta Abe and her brother Hifumi, as well as Hamada Shori are there. Safe to say we're going to see some banger ippons.

Uta Abe I will be watching. I'm looking forward to seeing Harasawa Hisayoshi too, probably my favourite heavyweight player since Inoue retired.

Once again, Abe Uta vs. Bouchard was amazing. :p

giphy.gif

Last edited:
What fucking genes have they got going on in that family?

Once again, Abe Uta vs. Bouchard was amazing. :p

giphy.gif

How the hell did Uta not get ippon at 2:20 vs. Primo? Sure she didn't land flat on her back but that's about as clean of an uchi mata as it gets and looks more ippon-worthy than the one in the gold medal match.

Back