No Spoilers Official Resident Evil Village Discussion

Had the past couple days off and this game literally consumed me haha. Finished 3 play throughs to get achievements. Last was a Village of Shadows difficulty and finished in 1hr 52 mins. Of course used the Stake magnum maxed out with infinite ammo which made it easy. Definitely got my monies worth out of it.

I think I'm a little over halfway done. If I had one complaint is that the game isn't scary. I did get one jump scare but that's it. I later read that Capcom purposely made the game less scary to appeal to a wider market. It feels a lot like Resident Evil 4 to me. I know people love that game but for me, that was the shift to action instead of horror and while it was a good game, I prefer survival horror.

Also, the story is just way too over the top. Again it's fun but it's just too out there and unbelievable. At least with RE, it's somewhat plausible that there's a virus that turns people into zombies and you are investigating the aftermath.

Overall, I just wish that RE7 was called Village and this would be Village 2. They don't need to be connected to Resident Evil at all. It actually feels like RE's answer to the Evil Within franchise and feels much closer in close and gameplay. Especially the 2nd game.

Anyone else notice one of the hall ways of the dollhouse seems like the layout of P.T

Anyone else notice one of the hall ways of the dollhouse seems like the layout of P.T

Personally, I thought that RE7 was heavily inspired by the visual design of PT. I remember when that demo hit and there was nothing else like it, in terms of it's realistic look and claustrophobic setting. Then the RE7 trailers hit, and I was all "Oh', they clearly were inspired by PT"

Finally got some time to make some progress and made it out of the castle. I didn’t have the 3D audio on for the first portion of the game but did the entire castle with it on and holy shit it adds so much to the game. Creaks and cracks coming from every corner, hearing wind blow by a window behind you.

The vampires in the dungeon were an especially awesome sequence

Haptics feel awesome with some of the weapons, another cool addition. Got my aiming sensitivity down so I’m rolling much better with the gunplay. Feels like this game was made for VR, I hope we see a port.

Really, really loving the atmosphere here. Might be my favorite in every RE game so far. Loving the over the top characters, brings back that fun eccentricity of the series. Already feel like enemy variety has surpassed 7 and I’m not far at all in the game.

Enjoying it a lot, hope I can finish this week.

Completed the game. I fucking loved it. Took me 10 hours with a lot of exploring and just wandering/taking in the views.

A masterpiece in every sense of the word. Ill write out my thoughts more clearly, but for now Ill reflect on the experience.

Im so grateful I played on the PC. Having no vignette, removing unnecessary filters and a perfect FOV really added to the experience.

Who is the figure walking towards the SUV in the post credits scene..? lol

Mercenaries mode is kicking my ass, though I have managed to get an SS rank in 5 of the areas so far. The next 2 of the last 3 are going to be a real bitch.

Good game but preferred 7. Would have like more moments like the Beneviento House

Mercenaries mode is kicking my ass, though I have managed to get an SS rank in 5 of the areas so far. The next 2 of the last 3 are going to be a real bitch.

How to you get SS ranks? Any tips?

Just finished the game.
My short (random) thoughts:
Played on PS5 on RT mode. Game ran mostly fine. The framerate mostly held up and the frame drops didn't bother me at all.
I did notice some texture pop-in though which was way more annoying to me. Example: Dimitrescu castle's roof.

Took me 12:45 according to the ingame clock, which is longer than most others.
Really took my time and tried to explore everything.
Game is pretty easy on normal. I died about 5-7 times. About half of that was due to stupidity, other half was dying on purpose to do a fight better to conserve ammo.

Liked most of the story even if a lot it doesn't make sense.
Example: Why would Chris let Ethan believe that he killed his wife?

Heisenberg fight was stupid. Didn't like his powers either. Was way too superhero like.

Really liked the castle. Didn't like the Dimitrescu stalker part. It isn't scary at all. Just annoying.
The other 3 lord houses were great and unique as well. I think they could've done more with the village itself though.

If I would have to give it a score, I would give something like 8/10 or 9/10.

You're probably right.
Take a look at this video at around 9:28

I pretty much thought as much. You gotta sometimes turn of your brain for RE lol.

Graphics:
These are some of the best graphics in gaming. As a whole package, the art team did a fantastic job bringing the visions of the directors to life. The immense detail that pours out of the finished product is basically unrivalled. I can only think of maybe 1 or 2 studios that can make something of the quality when it comes to the visuals. This level of graphics do come with a downside, in that there are a lack of 'physics' within the world. You cant break or interact with everything but thats pretty much standard in today's industry. Its a shame that at times the game is pretty much photo realistic, and you kind of expect another level (which is unfair). Some of the textures are insanely detailed, whilst a few lack that detail. A huge upgrade from RE7/RE2make/RE3make imo. There is a huge step up in the cinematography, animation, and cutscenes aswell. It really looks like a huge budget AAA, with what I would predict is a modest budget.

10/10 in this aspect imo. I played with everything on Max with RT on a 3090FE and the performance was a smooth, this may vary for consoles, and other rigs. I modded the game to remove the vignette (dark corners), removed any chromatic aberration (vaseline look), and had a nice FOV of 105.

Audio:
The engineers did a fantastic job with the audio, and as expected, its pretty much the best in the business. The atmospheric music, the ambient sounds, etc just add to that shiver you feel moving through these spaces. Its even better on the PS5 with the 3D audio.

Story:
Okay, you gotta turn off your brain when it comes to logic and story in these RE games. Why doesnt Ethan shoot down these doors locked by these stupid keys, why doesnt Ethan not sit on that chair like he's told, and the more you keep questioning, the more dumber everything feels. BUT I really did enjoy seeing the lengths Ethan would go to save his daughter, and you do get emotional at points, which is something RE games do really well. I really enjoyed how they tied RE7/RE8 to the overarching RE story. I feel like this game had more twists and turns than any other RE game, I was always clamouring for more info on people and groups.
I really enjoyed the pacing of the game aswell. There are portions that RE7 attempted to mix up the gameplay (the boat section) that this game absolutely nailed. You actually feel empowered and as physical as the character you do end up playing.

Some people are gonna call the dollhouse, as the highlight of the game but I really wasnt too impressed here as its pretty much PT/RE7 and so I could kind of tell what was gonna happen. I never felt more anxious as the nervous treks through the forest as the lighting shifted and the mood changed, I love these parts and theyre gorgeous to boot. The lycans still make me shit myself. I personally love the RE gameplay loop, finding keys, opening doors, memorising layouts and shortcuts, exploring, and dodging moving between enemies etc and this one nailed it. On normal, its not hard, but it does get obscene at parts like the final boss fight or the beginning lycan area. God this game is gonna be insanely difficult on the hardest level without infinite ammo and the STAKE. I died maybe 5 times but I always always overloaded with resources and cash. Make sure to visit areas and search for treasures, you might find something you werent expecting lol.

I just loved that this game brought the action and atmosphere from RE4 and RE7 whilst adding a little RE5/RE6 over the top action set pieces. The miniboss fights were fun and the main boss fights were....RE boss fights lol. I wouldve preferred to have fought some characters in their human forms such as
Heisenberg. His human form seems insanely OP, and wouldve destroyed Ethan.
. The acting and characters are what you would expect from an RE game and executed well. Some of my favourite performances come from Chris/Heisenberg/Alcina. As a whole package, I dont what to criticise outside of the main RE game criticisms (plot/boss fights), this is a fantastic package.

9/10 on a first playthrough, might increase/decrease on a future playthrough. Personal GOTY and the one to beat this year. I cant wait for RE9, and I expect we'll have more crazy twists and turns.

Was it better than RE7? Yes and No. I personally like games that are on a smaller scale but I feel like RE8 is pretty much Aliens to RE7's Alien if that makes sense. Both fucking great and both are worth your time. I think RE7/RE8 will be so highly regarded that they'll probably get remakes in the future lol.

Im not a mercenaries guy and Ive got more games to get through, so Ill put it down for now. I wouldve went for the platinum trophy (and so play it on a higher difficulty right away) if I played on the PS5, thank fuck Idgaf about PC achievements. I felt like I wanted to do an indepth review but this surface level review is fine for now, and I dont wanna write.

Did anyone notice at certain points in the doll house, when you were next to the dummy on the table, it's like something was right behind you blocking you from moving? It didn't happen often but that really gave me the creeps. The whole doll house was creepy AF and gave me a PT vibe. I actually wanna replay it just for the doll house sequence alone

Back