RBR ***Official*** Sherdog Sanctioned Berchelt vs Valdez RBR ESPN Top Rank 2/20

Winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Berchelt's wife is a baddie. He got hit tonight.

Tomorrow, her turn.

He was BADLY hurt from that first knockdown, his legs were not under him at all for the rest of that round and the first minute of the next round (4->5 I think). if this wasn’t a title fight I think the fight gets stopped at the first knockdown.

but Berchelt kept coming forward. I see a lot of people questioning the corner but I can also see an argument that he was still in the fight. Clearly losing on the cards, but he won a few rounds after the first knockdown and even seemed like he was starting to take control of the fight and overwhelming Valdez with pressure (r6&7) ...

Until the second knockdown.

20/20 hindsight and all but I think the fight was competitive enough (until the end of the 9th when that second knockdown) that it is a tough call to ask a corner to throw the towel and take their guy’s belt away when he was coming forward and he is a guy with 34 KOs and a 6 pound weight advantage.

Great fight.

Very impressive how Valdez made the adjustment to really turn up the angles to turn the tide of the fight after Berchelt was successful with his pressure in rounds 7-8.

Last edited:
Pretty bad ko. I think worse than the leo santa cruz one

Idk man, I don’t think the actual KO shot was as devastating as the one LSC took from Tank. But Berchelt certainly took more head damage overall as he was battered relentlessly.

Yeah, brave corners have gotten guys killed before. They should be there to save the fighter from himself. No champion wants to quit, even if they should.
Agreed. The father-son trainers are the absolute worst.

Idk man, I don’t think the actual KO shot was as devastating as the one LSC took from Tank. But Berchelt certainly took more head damage overall as he was battered relentlessly.

Berchelt also has eaten more shots than Santa Cruz since his defense is godawful. It's not the KO that leads to brain bleeds, it's the sustained damage over multiple rounds (and multiple fights) in most cases.

Thought Berchelt would overwhelm Oscar. Man was I way off.

And that’s the end of Berchelt’s run, he’s completely done after tonight.

In terms of boxing ability, I have not seen a champ with as bad technique as Berchelt in a good while.

I mean, it wasn't THAT long ago...

ssEdn5q.gif

He seemed stuck in second gear after he got hurt that first time.
Eating those hooks had Berchelt fighting on skates. No timing, no anticipation, just guts and muscle memory. Body couldn’t execute what the brain said to do.

He was BADLY hurt from that first knockdown, his legs were not under him at all for the rest of that round and the first minute of the next round (4->5 I think). if this wasn’t a title fight I think the fight gets stopped at the first knockdown.

but Berchelt kept coming forward. I see a lot of people questioning the corner but I can also see an argument that he was still in the fight. Clearly losing on the cards, but he won a few rounds after the first knockdown and even seemed like he was starting to take control of the fight and overwhelming Valdez with pressure (r6&7) ...

Until the second knockdown.

20/20 hindsight and all but I think the fight was competitive enough (until the end of the 9th when that second knockdown) that it is a tough call to ask a corner to throw the towel and take their guy’s belt away when he was coming forward and he is a guy with 34 KOs and a 6 pound weight advantage.

Great fight.

Very impressive how Valdez made the adjustment to really turn up the angles to turn the tide of the fight after Berchelt was successful with his pressure in rounds 7-8.

It looks like he never got his legs back from that first Hook to the temple. For a guy that is so active in there he was clumsily chasing Valdez in straight lines and when he’d close the distance he wouldn’t throw and when he did there was no snap in his shots at all. Think Valdez was running due to pressure but it unintentionally worked in taking that last bit of juice off Berchelt's legs

This isn’t figure skating and we knew it, but damn, I’m still a little shocked. An horrendous beating, then the one-punch flatliner. Yikes.

Back