Official UFC 197 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
not as high on whittaker as most people, think natal has a good chance to score the upset

I fucking hate Natal but i know what you mean he manages to grind wins out in his awkward way. I don't like him here tho and i hope Whittaker knocks his block off.

I think Whittaker hits him with a blitz and KO's Natal in the 1st to be honest. I can't believe Natal is on a win streak. Good for him though, but bad for him because Whittaker is not Kevin Casey lol.

Natal's best win is definitely Hall who is a bizarre fighter. He's like Disney's Frozen when he fights against grapplers, he needs to Let It Go.

Natal's best win is definitely Hall who is a bizarre fighter. He's like Disney's Frozen when he fights against grapplers, he needs to Let It Go.
VQLGJOL.gif

Interesting. I see Whittaker easily being a top 5 mainstay in 2-3 years time.
Agreed. Whittaker is so good and consistently puts together good combos. He made Uriah Hall look pretty bad (even tho he did almost get finished in the 3rd).

Whittaker is not someone I would want to fade except against very top tier guys.

UFC 197:
April 23, 2016 | MGM Grand Garden Arena | Las Vegas, Nevada

MAIN CARD

Edson Barboza +140
Anthony Pettis -180

Rafael Natal +250
Robert Whittaker -350

Andre Fili +115
Yair Rodriguez -155

———-

Yair will get bet up to -190ish. Willing to bet Fili once that happens but not 100% on the winner.

Pettis will get back up to -220ish or higher but not sure who'll win that either but Pettis should win the fight.

Not touching Whittaker, I'll wait for props.

thinking similiarly on those, reb.

i'll prolly end up losing some $ on barb.

thinking similiarly on those, reb.

i'll prolly end up losing some $ on barb.
I think Barboza is a great under dog play, actually feel pretty good about it and i'm looking forward to his decision line. Pettis isn't a pressure fighter at all, and barring a one hitter quitter which is possible, I don't see him out striking Barboza over the course of the fight.

wait it out, imo ^^
Cool. Wasn't really sure who money would come in on when thinking about it, so i'll take your advice. If Barboza by dec is +3xx i'll probably just play that over the ML anyway

Liking Barboza too but I'll wait along with you guys. My only concern is that Pettis finally gets a guy that will just strike with him where there's no concern of the takedown and we'll see him looking more like he did a couple years ago.

That said, I think Barboza can hang standing for sure so at +175ish he's an auto play for me. Agree with Joe on his dec line too. +300 or better and I'll play it.

Not touching Tumenov.
His TDD is not that proven and Gunnar can most likely take him down.

And Russians are not good off their back.

Wanted to bet Bigfoot because Struve is as far over the hill as him, but I don't think Bigfoot will use the safe gameplan of going for takedowns on someone with no TDD.

What about Fili over Yair? Fili is more complete and experienced.

Hmm the lines realistically looks fair for Yair/Fili. I was thinking there was alot of hype behind him right now that he'd get bet up. Not sure who'll win that fight but I was prepared to bet Fili as a bigger underdog but I'm not enticed by +115.

And for Pettis, I guess his stock has really dropped lately. If he gets down to -140 I'm really liking it. He's just a much potent finisher. His submission game makes his striking flow, and his striking game makes makes his submissions flow(y). It's like, when he kicked Benson to the body after so many times, Benson ended up catching the last one on a slip/TD and scrambled into Pettis' armbar.

Barboza could probably be the best fighter in the world if he had like a vicious submission game or some extra dimension to his game but he just doesn't. Love his muay thai technique but he's never integrated it for MMA that much. Pettis can move a bit more free without much of a grappling threat out of Barboza. But it sort've goes the same for Barboza because Pettis isn't one with a wrestling gameplan but still, Pettis is a very slick submission grappler in any situation.

In Barboza's head, there isn't a safe way to navigate any GnP on top of Pettis if a situation like that were to occur and he sure as hell don't wanna be on the bottom. After all these years Barboza still avoids trying to grapple in any of his fights. As dynamic as he is with his striking, he's still 1 dimension in his approach to the game.

If a Barboza decision were to occur, that really would be the end of Pettis career as a big dog in his division. Pettis' losses have all come to guys who can be dominant with grappling and Barboza don't got that I don't think. If Barboza wins a decision it's because Pettis got outclassed for 3 straight rounds and he couldn't do anything about it? Wouldn't that situation invoke Pettis to change gears if he were to get picked apart for 15 mins? That's the question I'm asking myself. Maybe after a few interiews to see where Pettis' heads at then I'll make a decision. But hopefully his price sticks around at it's current line. But I'm willing to bet Barboza if he was a bigger dog don't get me wrong, I just favor the former champion.

Last edited:
Not touching Tumenov.

Wanted to bet Bigfoot because Struve is as far over the hill as him, but I don't think Bigfoot will use the safe gameplan of going for takedowns on someone with no TDD.

I don't know how anyone can touch Big Foot he has been KO'd in r1 in 4 of his last 6 fights. Sao even looked like he was about to stop him with ground strikes but the bell saved him. Off TRT he has no chin whatsoever and looks soooo slow, he's also 36. I would not put Struve in the same bracket as Big Foot. Yes Struve has had problems and did not look good against Reem, but he comfortably beat Big Nog (yes a well over the hill Big Nog) and Rosholt was stylistically a tough fight for him. A lanky HW against a short stout HW wrestler was always going to be difficult for him. The fight is also in his home country so he will be extremely motivated. I don't think the UFC should be allowing Big Foot to fight he needs to retire immediately.

Fighting for the UFC Light Heavyweight title in 23 days

Ce4q-YSUUAUXEDF.jpg

Not touching Tumenov.

I think fairly similar to you on all of those. I'm going to wait a while on Gunnar and think he'll be worth a stab at high odds. If he gets Tumenov down, I think he can finish.

I will almost definitely be playing Bigfoot. His top game is stronger than Struve's bottom game and Struve is very hittable when on bottom. I remember people liking Struve vs. Rosholt and vs. Overeem. In both fights, each fighter had a clear path to victory with Struve's bad TDD and ability to get pounded on the ground. Bigfoot has that here, but like you said, he may not use it and stand. I'd still take my chances at + odds because I'm not so convinced his chin gets cracked by Struve.

Fili over Yair is a strange one to cap, but I think Fili can end up on top more in scrambles.

Why aren't people betting DC? Was hoping this incident would give me a better price on Jones :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back