Official UFC 197 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just realised I am over-exposed to Mighty Mouse by decision from some old parlays. Do we see a sub or ko as more likely for him to score a finish? Or just hedge ITD?
Sub imo. I think MM can catch him in a scramble and might take his back even if he cant hold him down for long. I might be alone here but I think MM will be able to land TDs here, his transitions are just too good.

Like that parlay also, lima is a tough cat as well as a grinder who nearly always goes to decision (5 out of her last 6 times), same with mm/cedujo both like going the distance, perhaps id be slight concerned of osp power early in r1 but jj chin is good and he should survive the o.5, may have to try hitting that one.

Whittaker is not a brawler c'mon dude. He has excellent standup you are making him sound like Tank Abbott! I can't remember the Hall Natal fight too well but I certainly don't remember Natal pouring it on like he's a cardio machine either. Let's not forget Natal was beaten up on the feet over three rounds by a very slow and plodding Ed Herman only two years ago. Yes Natal is on a four fight winning run but two of them are controversial split decisions, and wins over Watson who was not UFC level and Casey who is pretty bad and dropped Natal in round one do not inspire confidence.

I know what you mean re Lee and his boxing but he has always mixed his wrestling in too. It's not like he will stand there for three rounds. He has shown decent fight IQ. I rewatched all his UFC fights and he has utilised takedowns in every fight bar Santos. Santos has elite level BJJ tho so i can understand his reservations there and Santos has clearly made big improvements in his standup which no one least not Lee saw coming. Plus the fight only lasted a few minutes so we didn't really get to see Lee's gameplan albeit it did look like it was to keep it standing. Escudero will not be able to stop Lee's takedowns and I fully expect Lee to mix them in.

Lee and natal comments have merit.

But make no mistake about it. Whittaker is not tank Abbott but there is nothing refined about his striking skills.

Rewatch the hall fight

Lee and natal comments have merit.

But make no mistake about it. Whittaker is not tank Abbott but there is nothing refined about his striking skills.

Rewatch the hall fight
I think he throws great combinations. Hall is hard matchup, a very dangerous counter-striker who can punish his style but he still did well IMO. He will be able to push the pace more in this fight which will work in his favor.

you think bookies add an extra 66% of winning to whatever chance they've already given him? not sure I agree with your numbers lol, but I agree with the sentiment. hype is a powerful thing, and it is slower to die away when the perceived potential is still there, partially i guess due to how young he still is.

The bookies set lines to reflect the publics thinking so that they can get equal action in both sides of the line.

The 125 division is stacked with "no name" guys.

So when pettis older brother is champ and Sergio makes his debut in a division with no popular public names.... Yea.... He gets a lot of attention and action that if he were at 205 let's say no one would care about his name.

Last edited:
Could not disagree with that more. Whittaker is not even close to a brawler, dude has very legit skills.

finally got around to rewatching some of east's fights. dude isn't a bad hw prospect imo. moves well. good sharp right. harris has never impressed me and i think he's a bit slow. -150 might not be too bad on east. won't go big whatsoever, tho.

Yeah I have been a lingerer for awhile, but will try to contribute more, love the thread. I also am in the Madison area, born and raised in Stoughton and work on the west side. Thanks for the welcome!

Good to know regarding Pettis/Barboza, was starting to feel a little less confident, might still hedge some of my parlays with Barb dec, if bovada ever releases the lines. I got Pettis at -150, so was happy with the price.

Agree with about everything else too regarding Yair/Fili and Steele.

Thanks for the draftkings take too (Vkram as well!), might just do two line-ups with the same four then sub Whittaker and MM in.

Nice! I grew up in Verona. Played against Stoughton way back when in football and hoops.

Glad you're gonna jump in here more!

Just realised I am over-exposed to Mighty Mouse by decision from some old parlays. Do we see a sub or ko as more likely for him to score a finish? Or just hedge ITD?

I would just hedge itd. MM showed he has power when he starched Joe B (the other Joe B, not our Joseph Budden here LOL). But he's showed great sub skills too and he's an amazing scrambler going against a wrestler. So while I think sub is slightly more likely, it's close and I wouldn't get too cute.

But he's winning 50-45 times three anyway LOL.

Paying the juice on Mighty Mouse here. I dont see how Cejudo beats him.

Think Whittaker smokes Natal and Jones smokes OSP.. parlayed both ML with DJ at close to evens. Lot of juice but Im pretty confident.

Also some on Barboza at +140. I think he can pull this one.

with you on all of that

i really think whittaker, jones, and johnson win pretty easily.

Barboza moved to Jew Jersey full time for this training camp (used to split camp via Florida), and stopped teaching other people to 100% concentrate on himself this camp, 10 weeks, no injuries, best cardio, feel strong

My fight shouldn't affect my brothers fight, so we decided to do it again, we had a great outcome in Vegas last time, I've been training the last 7 months, I'm 22 he's 35, I've been working on everything, I still feel fresh, I want to make a legacy, I can beat him in any situation, I'll take him down as well, move around alot, I'm the better martial artist

it's not a team sport, I like doing camps with my brother, Barboza doesn't like to deal with pressure, he's going to try to push me against the cage, who ever controls the pressure and aggression will win the fight, he's dynamic, I have to make this an MMA fight, a 15 minute kickboxing match is where he's comfortable, so I'll make it ugly get in his face, see a different Pettis this time, I'll look to test that chin

I'm going head hunting, I'm still developing, it's a journey, Look for the finish for 15 minutes.

Great camp, very confident, with my wrestling and BJJ, I have more skills than him

this is a great opportunity for me, trained very hard for this, i train for MMA, not just striking, I'm ready everywhere, I'm very dangerous as well, if he gives me a chance the fight will be over

I'm young in the division, one day take over, I'm a better fighter than Walt, will knock him out

he's technical, if I see an opportunity I will take advantage of it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back