Official UFN 85 Thread - Brisbane - Hunto vs Murrrr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hunt - http://www.ufc.ca/news/Veteran-Hunt-ready-for-another-days-work

“That (being the favorite) sucks for me because I like being underestimated; then I can come and steal (the win) and they won’t know about it.”

“Frank is one of the best fighters in the world. He’s number 10, he’s two-time former world champion. I haven’t been UFC champion and he has twice. He’s a top end fighter. I watched him break Nogueira’s arm in Canada, so I’ve watched him have a few good fights.”

“I don’t think he’ll be able to take me down and I don’t think he’ll be able to submit me.”

Prevention is always best, so I’ve gotta stop him from getting that position. But if he does, I’ll have a lot of submission defense for that.”

“Yeah I should’ve been a black belt in jiu-jitsu. I’ve been doing it for like 12, 13 years, and I’m a purple belt now. I didn’t chase the belts, but I was fighting top level guys from my first fights and I practiced a lot more submission defense. I didn’t chase any belts; I just had to learn submission defense.”

“I try not to have an emotional thing; I just try to keep my mind clear. Emotions make you tired and I don’t want to be emotional while I’m fighting because you get into a lot of deep waters like that, so yeah, I try to have a clear mind.”

“I don’t know how it will go; I’m going to try my best to put it out in the first round. It’s going to go how it’s going to go.”

He looks smaller but take into consideration its probably from the weight cut, all these ufc fighters are cutting well ahead of schedule to make weight and loose fight money.

Lombards tree trunk leg stumps are gone in that above pic !

But id imagine by fight night once the water goes back in he should look different beast.

No idea on how he performs on fight night, but as we said 2 weeks back its a live betting fight to not miss.

Agree about the legs that was my first thought. Lombard still looks a powerhouse at weigh ins im convinced some size has defo gone.

Te Huna - http://www.ufc.ca/news/james-te-huna-back-to-roots-in-must-win-fight-night-brisbane-march-2016

after close to two years since his last Octagon appearance, Te Huna has gone back to his roots ahead of his middleweight fight at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre.

“Towards the end of last year I started doing seminars in New Zealand,” he said. “In my seminars, I was talking about my journey and the career that I had and the places that I traveled to train, and one key thing that I talked about was growing and developing your own style from the team of guys, the environment that you’re training in. That’s something that I went away from. I developed my own unique style that made me dangerous, and I went away from that trying to improve on other weaknesses. It’s always good to do that, but then I left my original game behind me and then I had nothing. The new stuff that I learned, I started gradually getting better at that but I was losing my original style at the same time. So it was just a real big learning curve. The main thing was I had time to rest, I thought things through and let the body heal up, and came back when the timing was right.”

“Yeah (I considered retiring); straight after the last fight I was pretty much done,” Te Huna said. “I didn’t really have a good time training for the fight. You’ve gotta really be wanting to train and wanting to fight, and I didn’t want to do neither. I was just copping injury after injury and it just wasn’t good. I just didn’t want it. I didn’t pull out of the fight because I don’t do that. I gave what I had in the bank and it wasn’t much. After the last fight, I did consider calling it quits. I just left it at that and over time everything healed, and I got offered to fight on the Brisbane card a couple of months ago and I was in a different place, so I took the opportunity.”

“I’m just enjoying training and I’m not getting hurt because I’m doing things that I like and growing every day with my team. I don’t feel lonely anymore like the past couple of years, because fighting is a lonely sport traveling (to different gyms), meeting different guys, training all over the place. Now I’ve got my own team, we’re all correcting each other, giving each other compliments and growing every single day, which is really great. (I am) Taking all the right steps, added a hell of a lot more recovery sessions because of my age, and I’ve ticked all the right boxes for this fight.”

“(I’m training with) My good mate Stevie Ashby, he’s been there since my very first fight; Richard Sergeant, my jiu-jitsu instructor, he’s pretty tight with me there, he’s been with me for seven or eight years. My last fight I went away from him.”

“To get rid of that ring rust I’m putting in rounds and doing a lot of mental preparation and visual preparation. Going over walking to the cage, getting used to the crowd, the canvas up against your feet, stuff like that.”

“I’ve only watched two minutes of one fight; I haven’t really seen a great deal of him. I learned that he was an ice hockey player, so he’s probably equivalent to an NRL player a footy player here (in Australia). He’ll be a hard bloke. From what I saw, he likes to bang and strike and he doesn’t take a backwards step. I see him in me (and) myself in him. He’s a similar fighter.”

“I’m going out there to win, same as everyone else. I don’t know what it’s gonna be, but just winning, that’s it.”

Bosse - http://www.ufc.ca/news/The-fighter-inside-has-brought-the-Bosse-back-to-UFC

I was thinking about my future and I made the decision to put my MMA career on the table to focus on my firefighter career. But the warrior inside me was still there and wanted to come back to training.”

“I have nothing to lose,” “After my first UFC fight, (it was the worst outcome possible), so now I just want to prove who I am and what I can do in the UFC cage.

“I just want to come back with this and show around the world ‘Who’s The Boss’ and what I can do.”

“I know James is in his hometown and wants to give a good show too. He’s on a three-fight losing streak, so he needs that win and I need that win so it’s going to be a good fight for sure.”

“I’m just focused to win and to brawl with him.”

Smith - http://www.ufc.ca/news/Healthy-Smith-ready-to-avenge-last-Octagon-appearance

We knew I would have to deal with Eye's speed as I landed my harder punches. I wasn’t as fluid with my game plan as I needed to be, and I wasn’t as aware of the severity of the doctor’s impression of my ear. I would have traded that ear for another round and a half any day. I felt like I was getting dialed in. I felt like I was, way stronger in the second round, and I thought I was turning the tide.

“The funny thing is that it was a punch that wouldn’t have done any damage to me if I hadn’t been working so hard in my training camp. Isn’t that ridiculous?”

“The best thing that I learned is that I need to have more fluidity in my game plan, because there definitely are different things I could have done.

Last April, the 7-6-1 pro unfortunately needed surgery to mend a torn meniscus, which kept her out of competition in 2015. During her time on the sidelines, Smith trained a lot even when she traveled, such as the five weeks she spent in Singapore working out with Evolve MMA

“Between Miesha (Tate) winning and Nate (Diaz) winning, that was probably the most wonderful night I’ve ever had watching fights,”

“For me, it’s always been a dream of mine to go to Japan and fight a fighter out there because jiu-jitsu, judo, samurais and ninjas come from out there,”

But even though I’m not getting to fight in Japan, it’s going to be an honor to step into the cage with Rin. She has a pretty long and illustrious history in MMA. I feel like it’s a really good matchup for me. I have a lot length that I’m going to get to work with, and I know I have some of the best training in the world. I’ve spent the last year figuring out how to channel all that energy and all that aggression of mine into the most precise way that I can.”

Mir - http://www.ufc.ca/news/Mir-motivated-as-long-as-he-gets-to-keep-hunting-lions

“I’ve added a lot more kickboxing with takedowns, basically MMA from our feet in this camp,”

“That was one thing in my last fight against Andrei Arlovski that threw me off, because every time he threw a kick, that felt alien to me. I could see his hands fine, but when he kicked I was out of my element. In this camp, I had people throwing kicks at me with takedowns and punches, so my reactions will be better. It won’t be anything I see for the first time on the 19th.”

“I’m very calculated and very efficient as far as the amount of time spent in the gym where I don’t drain myself out,” Mir said. “As I’m getting older, I realize that three-hour practices are a waste of time. You realize that you’ve been doing something for forty-five minutes and you really haven’t accomplished anything. I warm up now, I cool down, and I can socialize, but when I’m sitting on the mat not really doing anything, it’s not something I’m interested in anymore.”

“You have to have people in your life who are willing to compromise, because being a professional athlete is a selfish endeavor,” he said. “For example, my daughter is on a traveling softball team and she had to go to California a few weekends ago and I couldn’t go because of training. The last thing I need two weeks before a fight in Australia is to be in a car for six hours, and my wife understood even before I said I couldn’t go. It wasn’t even a question.

"It’s not best for me as an athlete. My daughter understands this too. At most, I will go to my kids’ football game on the weekend but that’s about it. In January, I will help out, but the last few weekends I’m trying to recover. I’m watching but I can’t be involved at all.”

Magny - http://www.ufc.ca/news/Huge-opportunity-looms-for-Neil-Magny-in-Brisbane

“I feel like I’ve learned something I’ve needed to learn from every one of those fights. Even the fight I lost against Demian Maia taught me things I needed to know, as did my most recent fight with Kelvin Gastelum.

I feel like the fights I’ve had up to this point did a good job of getting me comfortable inside the Octagon and helped me prepare myself for the bigger challenges to come. Now I’m fighting the top-ranked guys and that’s what I’m going to need in order to get to that title.”

“I don’t even look at it like [Lombard] has all this knockout power and no one wants to fight him,” Magny said. “I look at him as just another guy who is in my way of getting what I want, and that’s a shot at the title. If I have to beat a big name like Hector Lombard to get a top five opponent next, then that’s what I have to do. For me it’s all about opportunity, and Hector is that next opportunity so you bet I’m going to take it.”

Jouban - http://www.ufc.ca/news/Fighter--model-actor-meet-Alan-Jouban

“That’s pretty much the order,” he said. “I dabble in acting and do commercials here and there, but fighting is my passion. Anybody that knows me, that’s all I do. I eat, sleep, train and repeat. I’ve been doing the same thing for ten years now.

“I feel more in sync, and I feel like I’m the best fighter I’ve ever been going into this fight,” he said. “A lot of guys say that, and I don’t know if I was saying that the last fight, but if I did, I was lying (Laughs) because in the last fight I felt like I had a wet blanket on top of me throughout the whole camp. I couldn’t shake it. But I took time off (after the fight), I went back to the drawing board and improved in some areas and changed my training up a little bit. I promise you, this is the most confident I’ve ever felt going into this fight. I see an early stoppage. I don’t see a back and forth war.”

Junior - http://www.ufc.ca/news/Antonio-Carlos-Junior-always-evolving-ready-for-Kelly-on-enemy-soil

“The cut is very easy,” he said. “I've been trying to be as dedicated and focused with the diet and training regimen as I can, so this cut becomes easier and easier. I think I got better overall in all aspects of the game. I am a very young fighter in MMA and I've been trying to develop all my abilities. I wanted to show that evolution in the Casey fight. But it's OK, I can show it now against Dan Kelly.”

“Kelly is an experienced judo player but, like me, he doesn't have a whole lot of MMA fights,”

“We both come from grappling backgrounds, but I think if he uses his judo skills, he will land in my world, where I'm more comfortable. I think it is amazing to travel and see new places; I love it. The only setback is when it's a long trip, you are obviously dieting, so the flights are not that fun. Australia is a long trip, but I absolutely love it there. I lived in Australia for a while and have amazing memories and I hope to leave here with even better ones this time. I also have a lot of friends in Australia that will be here supporting me. So even though they won't be as much as Kelly's crowd, they will be sending me good energy.”

“I’m always training and evolving with my coaches Marcos ‘Parrumpa’ DaMatta, Katel Kubis, King Mo Lawal and Everton Bittar,” he said. “And, of course, with the help of my amazing training partners such as Steve Mocco, Thiago ‘Marreta,’ Junior Dos Santos and Hector Lombard. I live in Florida now. After my fights, I go back home and spend some quality time with my family, friends and my girlfriend. But right away I go back to ATT to continue my journey. It's a good thing that I bring good competition experience from another sport, and I'm glad I adapted very well to this new sport.”

“With both of us coming from a grappling background, it's safe to say it will be a very technical ground affair,” Carlos said. “They can expect a more mature and complete fighter in me, that's for sure.”

Ok. Guys, due to widespread panic and uncertainty I also pulled out of Magny bet. Call me a pussy if you so desire. Here is my reasoning, it is unlikely that Magny finishes Lombard, and 2 out 3 wins for Magny came by way of split decision. So if it comes to decision, it is most likely that Lombard will get the nod on the home ground.

In the meantime, I cashed out and went full retard by placing all the cash on Mir. I just think this will go to the ground.

never go full mirtard!

OReilly - http://www.ufc.ca/news/OReillys-hard-work-has-led-him-to-UFC-and-a-dream-come-true

it was nice for me to go up to 170 and not just get a win there, but it was quite a physical battle and we were in the clinch a lot, and I proved that I’m not outmuscled at that weight and I can hang with guys at that weight.”

“I still think there will be those guys that will push the envelope (in terms of large weight cuts), but for me, it doesn’t matter,”

“I don’t mind if these guys are bigger than me. I think I can fight those guys anyway. I don’t mind giving away a bit of size, because I know that I’m tough, strong and really game against anyone. It’s not a big weight cut for me, so I’m able to maintain my movement and my strength throughout the fight.”

having a fight, not just in Australia but in my hometown is nice because everything is familiar and comfortable. As much as you have to do it as a professional fighter, it’s nice to not have to fly eight hours or 13 hours and fly to another country. It’s just wake up and get it done. That’s going to be nice for sure.”

“I want to keep momentum rolling, keep the wins coming and build my profile with exciting fights that the fans enjoy. I want to be one of those fighters that the fans want to come to an event to see.”

Please for the love of all that is sacred and holy STOP buying out of bets you made just because you see line movement go the opposite way. Hedging should only be used as a last resort emergency as it does nothing but decrease your long term +EV. If you're bandwagon jumping on consensus picks from the majority then I wouldn't consider you very $harp and you're most likely a recreational gambler. I might give more leeway to hedge live in-play betting but getting "cold feet" on a bet and buying out of your bet before the fight has even taken place is just terrible. Why both making the bet in the first place if you're not confident in your pick? I highly doubt more than 5 people in the sherdog betting threads are actually capping each fight. You only get out what you put in and trust me, it takes many hours of hard work capping.

One of the most important lessons I've learned from sports betting in general is to spot pick your plays. Only bet on fights where you have an edge and don't play more than 3-5 fights on a MMA card because most likely you'll only be able to extract value from a few of them. Not every fight, game, match has value. Sometimes I cringe when I see all the mistakes being made here because it just reinforces to me truly how much money the bookies are making from 98% of sport bettors.

- Barry

just wanted to say -- i would miss your posts if you didn't sign off with "- Barry" -- it'd be impossible to know that you, barry, were making the post if you didn't include it

(so thank you)

Laprise - http://www.ufc.ca/news/chad-laprise-taking-lessons-from-first-ufc-loss-to-fight-night-brisbane

(the loss) “I think it’s the best thing that could have happened in my career.”

“I love fighting in Canada and I will fight as much as I can in Canada, but knowing that there were no Canadian cards coming up, I actually asked the UFC to fight on this card in Australia,”

“I’m going to go down there and do my thing and there is definitely less pressure,”

“With me winning The Ultimate Fighter Nations, it was against Australia, so I have a lot of fans down there and it’s always been a place that I wanted to go, so I said, ‘I’ll go fight down there.’ It’s more of a hassle with the travel for things like cutting weight, but I think it’s going to be fun.”

“Physically, I was fine – I was never knocked out cold or anything – but I definitely had a broken heart for that whole night,”

“But when the sun came up the next day, I realized it was just a fight and I just got caught. I realized life goes on and I picked myself up from there and it brought me back to this point.

“I’m more motivated than ever now,” he added. “I was so used to winning all the time and that feeling of losing didn’t sit well with me. I can’t wait to get back in there and get back into the win column.”

Hunt vs Mir Faceoff.. Hunt is a funny dude :D

i think the Mir pics i posted earlier might have been somewhat misleading.. tough to say with shirt on but Mir looks fine to me. slimmer but not as extreme as it looked on those pics

pics absolutely can be misleading, wait for weighins tonight (6 hours from this post)

Would rather pay the extra juice and go with EZ on Not Jouban rd 1 at -140. You get the extra 2.5 minutes not to worry about plus are covered by O'reilly somehow stopping Jouban early.

yep! dat chin! (but yea, that extra 2.5 mins)

Thanks Card.

Anyone know if Bosse trained with Tristar? It seems not.

Lombard - http://www.ufc.ca/news/hector-lombard-looking-for-spectacular-win-fight-night-brisbane

“He’s very tall and hits really hard, but so do I. I’ve fought much bigger guys than him. I’ve fought heavyweights, so his size doesn’t matter to me.”

“I want to fight for the title. I’m ready and I believe I’m in the best shape of my life,”

“This camp has been very good. I brought in different sparring partners to help me get ready, but (Magny) doesn’t do anything I haven’t seen before. I just worry about what I’m going to do and do my game plan well and I will be in good shape for this fight. I’m a very well rounded fighter and I’ve always been a well rounded fighter. I am a black belt in judo and in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, but I am a very good striker, as I’ve proved many times with knockouts.”

“Neil has a good record and a win over him, especially a spectacular win, will make a lot of noise and hopefully propel me to the title,” he said. “A lot of these guys don’t want to stand with me because they know I will knock them out, but Magny is a guy who comes to fight and it should be exciting for the fans. This is a fight I wanted.”

I fight with all my heart, through any ups and downs.”

“I have many fans over there. They always come out cheering and respect a good fight,”

patrick -3.5 -150? can brown keep from gassing on short notice like this? could easily be another anton zhafir kind of deal? i know patrick isn't a great finisher, but he doesn't have to be if the guy hits the wall..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back