Official Women's Division Discussion #27

Hehe, the thing that more amused me was the LOUD WHISTLE from someone outside the cage JUST THE EXACT MOMENT DIRECTLY BEFORE THE TAP - like "TAP NOW!"

Allcaps like proper tinfoil! =P
Did not know that even happened. These are the things I miss when I watch fights muted.

I think I'd be more inclined to punch the ref than this obviously beaten opponent.

I honestly hoped I'd never see a worse stoppage than Curran versus Warren. At least there wasn't a huge amount of damage being done, but that girl so obviously wanted out it was painful to watch the ref make her keep standing up.

women refs amirite guys??!1
{<diva}

seriously though; when I see stuff like that I usually feel more irritated about the corner than the ref, how can you not want to step in and protect your fighter in that situation?

I wouldn't want to bump into Angela Hill today. Poor woman, can't catch a break. I hope she'll get better things coming her way in the near future, she's always ready to fight, makes weight with short notice, puts on entertaining fights, and has shown notable improvement in recent years. She deserves a big reward for her efforts, and the universe seems overly keen on not giving it to her.

Damm, that judge really wanted to see blood.
Did yamassaki made disciples/changed sex?

If there was a legitimate injury I hope it wasn't made worst since I know I wouldn't want a referee
officiating if they previously forced someone to fight injured instead of calling a TKO.

My picks are the same as Purple Storm, dammit.

I think Silva out-grapples DLR. If it stays on the feet it will be a sloppy fight.
Hill just out-athletes Yoder, dammit. I like Yoder but I cannot pick in her favor.
I really like Davis as one of the real old guard that never seems to get enough credit for what she has done. However, Mazo is too good on the feet for Davis to get it to the ground (including clinch work).

If I am wrong I can at least say I was influenced by Purple Storm during a moment of weakness.
:)
I'll go against the grain. MDLR uses her grappling just well enough to keep it standing and wins on the feet. Davis continues to look old and unimpressive while Mazo shines.

Jackie Buntan getting to show off in ONE was very pleasing. Just want to point out a couple other young American muay thai fighters who are already very good, but haven't got to show off in big promotion yet...

Coral Carnicella
At the IFMA Worlds in 2019 this then 19 year old beat ONE's Anne Line Hogstead, Glory's Aurore Dos Santos, and Channel 8's Chommanee on her route to getting silver. She fits into either Glory or ONE's weight classes.

Nicole Fernandez
Just turned 18, and like Carnicella has already beat other good international fighters. During her IFMA jr. run she beat solid Australian Erin Harberger, and Super Champ's Phetganya AyuthyaFightClub. She also stopped Jasmine Parr a month or so after Parr had pretty cleanly beat Wondergirl.

[KICKBOXING] RISE: El Dorado 2021 Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan
Main Card – iPPV (Fite.tv) / Abema.tv – 12:30am ET / 9:30am PT
Hinata Terayama vs. Suzuka Tabuchi

Really into this fight later tonight. Tabuchi in her first kickbox/mt fight beat the person I would have had ranked #1 at 48kg not too long ago (Manazo Kobayashi), and looked like the much cleaner fighter in the process. If she manages to beat Terayama, Tabuchi has an argument for being the best kickboxer in Japan based off of just two fights.

Jackie Buntan getting to show off in ONE was very pleasing. Just want to point out a couple other young American muay thai fighters who are already very good, but haven't got to show off in big promotion yet...

Coral Carnicella
At the IFMA Worlds in 2019 this then 19 year old beat ONE's Anne Line Hogstead, Glory's Aurore Dos Santos, and Channel 8's Chommanee on her route to getting silver. She fits into either Glory or ONE's weight classes.

Nicole Fernandez
Just turned 18, and like Carnicella has already beat other good international fighters. During her IFMA jr. run she beat solid Australian Erin Harberger, and Super Champ's Phetganya AyuthyaFightClub. She also stopped Jasmine Parr a month or so after Parr had pretty cleanly beat Wondergirl.

Really into this fight later tonight. Tabuchi in her first kickbox/mt fight beat the person I would have had ranked #1 at 48kg not too long ago (Manazo Kobayashi), and looked like the much cleaner fighter in the process. If she manages to beat Terayama, Tabuchi has an argument for being the best kickboxer in Japan based off of just two fights.

Awesome. Thanks. Enjoy!

One FC. Can't say I'm impressed by Victoria, they set her up with an easy softball and she still gets face punched badly. Wondergirl fell in love with her boxing after her previous fights and got face punched by the better faster boxer. She forgot that it's a Muay Thai fight and kept trying to win the punching exchanges when it was clear early that her opponent had the advantage there, and that's what got her face planted. Nice job by Jackie to use her boxing advantage and keep putting her punches past Wondergirl's lazy guard, that's what happens when you go long guard and don't even try to clinch.

Davis vs. Mazo was interesting and unexpected, but made sense in hindsight. Davis looked faster & fresher after her extended time off, and we need to remember that she beat Carmouche twice and IMO beat Chookagian as well even if the judges didn't agree. She's no slouch when she's on her game. Mazo depends a lot on her kicks and she had them taken away by the takedown threat along with Davis's low kicks and overall striking game. Boxing a kickboxer when you don't have great hands is generally a losing proposition, and that's what Sabina was forced into. It was pretty much Mazo's boxing vs. Davis's entire kickboxing, takedown, and MMA game. Also, I think Mazo did fairly well on the ground, she did most things right but doesn't have the athleticism to scramble and pop back up when she had some brief openings to do so. Nice veteran performance by Davis and a learning experience for Mazo, who could use some plyometrics.

Mayra vs. Montana was a rather sloppy yet fun fight. There wasn't much defence and both fighters face punched each other pretty good, and then the clinches started. Mayra should've kneed her to death since the only thing worse than her clinch control was Montana's clinch defence. All she had to do was pinch down with the grip and Montana would've been eating knees until she got stopped, but she kept leaving it too loose which allowed Montana to break it and go after her own clinches. And those were questionable too since she kept pushing into the fence instead of yanking Mayra off the fence to complete the takedown. I facepalmed myself pretty good when Montana was in on a single and had Mayra on one leg for like a minute and still couldn't progress the takedown or figure out what to do while eating elbows to the face the entire time. Very Invicta-ish fight.

Last edited:
ONE:

Victoria Lee. They make such a big deal out of the Lee family. Victoria was fine for a debut at age 16. That 'prodigy' talk is too much hype. She was a bit frozen in the beginning of the fight, no surprise. When she got the finish they asked her what did you do different in the second round. She replied 'I did what my coaches told me to do in the first round.' Sounds about right.

Jackie Brown Buntan. Confident before during & after the fight. Wondergirl wore a rad wondergirl costume and her rotund coach wore the same get up. Buntan rocked her with the round one knockdown - kaboom to the jaw. Kinda surprised she got back up as time in that round expired. She was out of it for the remainder. Fairtexes Stamp & Wondergirl haven't fared well of late but I find them entertaining and root for return to form.

UFC:

MDLR earned the draw versus Silva & got a broken nose & massive welt that closed her left eye for it. Silva has better skills but Montana showed a lot of grit. Enjoyed that fight! What did you all think of the judges' decision? One judge scored in 29-28 for Silve & the other two scored it a draw.

Davis brought all her veteran experience and dominated Mazo for the UD. Still on the Mazo train and feel she will learn a lot and come back stronger. Nice seeing Davis get a much desired victory and she seemed really cool to Mazo and in the post-fight interview. Mazo needs to (you know, train a bunch of stuff and come back better lol).

@aerius et. al. are excellent at analyzing fights. Still love watching & giving impressions.

ONE:

Victoria Lee. They make such a big deal out of the Lee family. Victoria was fine for a debut at age 16. That 'prodigy' talk is too much hype. She was a bit frozen in the beginning of the fight, no surprise. When she got the finish they asked her what did you do different in the second round. She replied 'I did what my coaches told me to do in the first round.' Sounds about right.

Jackie Brown Buntan. Confident before during & after the fight. Wondergirl wore a rad wondergirl costume and her rotund coach wore the same get up. Buntan rocked her with the round one knockdown - kaboom to the jaw. Kinda surprised she got back up as time in that round expired. She was out of it for the remainder. Fairtexes Stamp & Wondergirl haven't fared well of late but I find them entertaining and root for return to form.

UFC:

MDLR earned the draw versus Silva & got a broken nose & massive welt that closed her left eye for it. Silva has better skills but Montana showed a lot of grit. Enjoyed that fight! What did you all think of the judges' decision? One judge scored in 29-28 for Silve & the other two scored it a draw.

Davis brought all her veteran experience and dominated Mazo for the UD. Still on the Mazo train and feel she will learn a lot and come back stronger. Nice seeing Davis get a much desired victory and she seemed really cool to Mazo and in the post-fight interview. Mazo needs to (you know, train a bunch of stuff and come back better lol).

@aerius et. al. are excellent at analyzing fights. Still love watching & giving impressions.
I was a little shocked by the scorecards thought Montana had it 29-27, with the 1&2, but a draw seemed appropriate. But the round by round scores are the shocking part none of the judges gave Montana the 1st (which I thought was her better round) they all gave Montana the 2nd (which I saw as swing round) and the judge who had Silva winning gave out 10-8 in the 3rd seemed like a big how. Probably watch this again tomorrow.

Davis also got a 10-8 round that seemed really unwarranted, but still a dominant performance she looked good with the time off and extra mass.

Back