Official Women's Division Discussion #27

Mazany should never do this dangerous 125 weight cut.

KGB is a boss.Antonina lacks physical strength-has the frame if a SW vs a girl who could fight at BW.
She was einning on the feet for 2-3 minutes.

Katlyn vs. Vivi was not a good fight, with even worse judging. Vivi beat her cleanly in the 1st, then started walking right into Katlyn's front kicks every time until she finally caught one for a takedown. Chook had maybe 20-30 seconds of good work after standing back up, but after that she was getting hit with the harder shots even though Vivi was completely out of gas. Should've been another round lost, but somehow one of the paint huffers scored it 30-27 for Katlyn. I thought the fight was an easy 28-27 for Vivi, but apparently grunting & punching air scores points now. I want to see Joanna go back up to 125 and take Katlyn to school.

The first round was close, neither fighter did much. Vivi landed about three good hits, missed a ton with her constant head hunting, followed Katlyn around cause she couldn't cut the cage, and was only able to control the clinch because she was grabbing onto the fence. Katlyn landed very few jabs and a couple of kicks, some knees in the clinch, and that was it. It could've gone either way.

Round 2: Vivi gets dropped on her butt right away, keeps getting tagged with kicks until she finally caught one. After scoring the take-down and a failed attempt at a guillotine, she did nothing but lay on Katlyn and throw a few punches to the ribs. She was on top, yeah, but doing nothing. Katlyn managed to get back up, scored the most significant strikes of the round, and Vivi was once again, a stationary target getting piced up. Vivi's round, but it really wasn't as dominant and people think.

Round 3: Not close, Vivi just threw one punch back in every exchange, couldn't land anything significant. Chook outstruck her by a mile, and even outstruck her for the entirety of the fight. Round 2 had Vivi landing more significant strikes, with about 8 of them being on the ground lol.

29-28 for either fighter was alright. It was in no way a robbery, and it depends on how much you score doing nothing but being on top, over actual damage, volume, and cage control.

The first round was close, neither fighter did much. Vivi landed about three good hits, missed a ton with her constant head hunting, followed Katlyn around cause she couldn't cut the cage, and was only able to control the clinch because she was grabbing onto the fence. Katlyn landed very few jabs and a couple of kicks, some knees in the clinch, and that was it. It could've gone either way.

Watch the round again. Vivi hit her with a lot of body punches, Katlyn was outstruck by a significant margin.

Round 2: Vivi gets dropped on her butt right away, keeps getting tagged with kicks until she finally caught one. After scoring the take-down and a failed attempt at a guillotine, she did nothing but lay on Katlyn and throw a few punches to the ribs. She was on top, yeah, but doing nothing. Katlyn managed to get back up, scored the most significant strikes of the round, and Vivi was once again, a stationary target getting piced up. Vivi's round, but it really wasn't as dominant and people think.

Katlyn had a good 20-30 seconds after she got back up, but after that she was getting hit back just as much as she was dishing out, and Vivi's punches were still harder even though she was completely gassed.

Round 3: Not close, Vivi just threw one punch back in every exchange, couldn't land anything significant. Chook outstruck her by a mile, and even outstruck her for the entirety of the fight. Round 2 had Vivi landing more significant strikes, with about 8 of them being on the ground lol.

29-28 for either fighter was alright. It was in no way a robbery, and it depends on how much you score doing nothing but being on top, over actual damage, volume, and cage control.

If we're talking about actual damage, Chookagian would never win a fight. She throws a lot of volume with little effect, she barely managed to wobble a completely gassed out Vivi after loading up and throwing everything she had at her. Even in the 3rd round, she didn't land nearly as many strikes as the commentators or official stats credit her for. She supposedly landed 55 strikes according to the stats, but I just went back and counted it and it's only 25-30, and most of them barely touched. Katlyn is lucky that many MMA judges are blind boxing judges or she would've lost that fight by a mile.

Watched the fights...two of them were pretty entertaining. I've come to the conclusion that it is only fight I.Q. that is holding Andrea Lee back. She has the speed, power and technique to beat anyone and go straight to a title fight...she just doesn't always make good decisions. She honestly could have finished Big Chenko much earlier, but she decided to "experiment" a bit mid-fight. Chookagian is the GOAT of point fighting; no one can steal rounds like her, man or woman. I didn't think she won that fight, personally, but she knows how to persuade judges.

Derrick Lewis helping out Lauren Murphy is pretty hilarious. Now, I'm more interested in seeing if Calderwood can get back to a title fight or if Valentina will want to try and avenge her sister's loss. But, might as well let Lauren have her "deserved" title shot (and get slaughtered). Lauren's toughness will allow Valentina to rack up some good highlight reel footage.

Jarl

Well I hope Loopy is this year's Hannah Cifers and that they'll keep her around, ignoring any losses, and give her a nice fat raise instead. It sounds like mission impossible, moving up two weight classes on a few days notice, but I'm still convinced they brought in Alpar thinking she was Strangler Spangler, Lupita for the win.

Well I hope Loopy is this year's Hannah Cifers and that they'll keep her around, ignoring any losses, and give her a nice fat raise instead. It sounds like mission impossible, moving up two weight classes on a few days notice, but I'm still convinced they brought in Alpar thinking she was Strangler Spangler, Lupita for the win.

Yeah, Alpar isn't very good but taking another short notice fight two weight classes up is kinda crazy. Hope she gets it done .

This might mean nothing but I can't remember the UFC wishing a fighter a Happy Birthday that was not on the roster. Her March fight was the last on her contract and since then she has gone silent on her contract situation.

This might mean nothing but I can't remember the UFC wishing a fighter a Happy Birthday that was not on the roster. Her March fight was the last on her contract and since then she has gone silent on her contract situation.

She's still on the roster on Fight Pass, fighters usually get removed from there pretty much immediately if they're no longer with the company.

https://theathletic.com/2574108/202...invicta-fc-sold-to-anthem-in-april-heres-why/

But did she sell because she wanted to or because she felt she had to?

The answer, according to Knapp, may be somewhere in the middle. The main impetus was that Invicta’s time airing on UFC Fight Pass, the UFC’s combat sports-themed streaming service, was coming to an end. With the way things had unfolded there, she wasn’t necessarily displeased about ending that arrangement.

“The platform has changed a lot,” Knapp told me. “When we first went on Fight Pass there was a lot of UFC content and it was a lot different than it is today. I knew that we were coming to an impasse, because what I thought Invicta was and what it should be, we didn’t align on that anymore.”

In Knapp’s opinion, UFC Fight Pass had come to see Invicta as a niche within a niche, and one that served as a pipeline of female talent straight into the UFC ranks whenever it needed some fresh faces.

“I think Invicta is bigger than that,” Knapp said. “I think it was the capability to be more than just a feeder. And putting us in that role, that’s what worked best for them. But I’ve always felt like Invicta could do more in this space, more to promote female athletes and their brands. It’s like every relationship, there are growing pains. We just sort of outgrew each other.”

Makes sense. They were losing to many fighters, to many main events and co-main events, every time UFC needed a short notice fighter.

Also, it’s obvious that Fight Pass has become the UFC’s triple A farm league of promotions at this point. When a newly crowned LFA champ says, in response to asking if they’re ready to defend the title “I’m waiting for that UFC call up,” you’ve reduced yourself to nothing more than a feeder.

Shannon also said that she won’t get in the way of a fighter advancing their career, but hopes to improve things with Invicta to convince them to stay, that eventually she’s gonna have to start holding some fighters to their contracts in order to hold shows together, if they truly plan on holding more shows per year than ever before.

Back