Social Ohio high school and sexual writing assignments

My argument is terrible?
You can't even follow along with what the basic facts of this story is. You're still claiming that the teachers actually assigned the students to write sex scene stories.

Are you okay? You're usually a level headed guy, but I don't even know how to respond to such a stupid reply. It was so dumb, that it was insulting. How you possibly got that I would be for/defend students seeing naked women from what I said means you didn't read what I wrote, because I don't believe you're that dumb.
We're talking about the written word, context, interpretation, and 17 year olds taking a college course...and you reply with "Terrible! You are okay with kids seeing tits!"

You're excusing sexual content in a book that has been distributed to students because it wasn't the content that the teacher intended for them to study. It's the teacher's job to proofread the damn book. Just call out the teacher for not doing their job. Why is it so difficult for you to say that it is inappropriate material for a book for high school kids?

school board chose this book for required for this class. Says they just didn’t research it enough and it was a mistake. Wasn’t the teacher that chose this
Probably someone saw the title, skimmed a few prompts and decided it sounded fun. They didn't read all the prompts and now have egg on their face.

Nothing malicious, but lazy.

You're excusing sexual content in a book that has been distributed to students because it wasn't the content that the teacher intended for them to study. It's the teacher's job to proofread the damn book. Just call out the teacher for not doing their job. Why is it so difficult for you to say that it is inappropriate material for a book for high school kids?
You aren't even engaging with the damn facts of the story. You are ignoring everything that doesn't fit your reality.
You are literally making up things and making false analogies because of it.

Yeah this sounds like some rogue creepy teacher doing it. I highly doubt anyone one
knew about it. Mayor is being a little dramatic here.

Edit: I guess not…. Maybe the mayor is not being dramatic. Hard to believe no one caught this before the students
No its not, not for me. The person who came up with this idea probably read reviews of the book and got the general gist of it and figured it'd be valuable to the students. Read the synopsis on Amazon and it seems harmless
A collection of 642 outrageous and witty writing prompts: Banish writer's block with 642 Things to Write, a fun and playful journal that invites inspiration with plenty of space to write it all down. Brimming with entertaining exercises, this writing prompt journal is sure to get the creative juices flowing.

• From crafting your own obituary and penning an ode to an onion, to telling a dying houseplant why it should live and making a case for your favorite fruit, writers of all levels will stretch their imaginations and put pen to paper.
But of course students, and almost certainly male ones, gravitated towards the stupid sex prompts. Actually two of them sound like a n interesting idea, the one about writing a sex scene you wouldn't show your mother and then a follow up prompt to re-write said scene so that you would show it to her. The point clearly being to try and teach would be writers to write about the same event but in different ways such that they are suitable for different audiences, a skill that would be valuable to a writer. And of course this nor any other sex prompt were even assigned so the hysteria here seems to me to be a bit of pearl clutching over some slightly out of the box teaching which is sad.
It seems there's been an increasing effort to sexualize children, and it didnt begin with this event. People need to realize this, on a large scale, and soon.

The Obama library tranny reading, the netflix cuties show, Biden, and so on. It's been creeping in, and many have been warning about it - although it often falls onto deaf ears.

There are pedos in high places. Thankfully, there are also people like this mayor who will do their best to have none of it.

Yeah thankfully we have this Mayor who is going to appeal to rubes like you by sucking the fun out of an AP course. I love how in your weird rant about sexualizing children you just mention "Biden" as part of the plot. Was he installed by pedo globalists to legalize child marriage or something? Just insane to peek into the alternate universe some morons live in.
correct, one can tell from reading the OP that these select prompts were never given as actual assignments to be completed. They just happened to exist in a book of 650 different prompts the students had received.
And of course some male students decided not to do the prompt and instead spend their time flipping through the rest to find something to giggle about with their mates and then found the sex prompts.

Same thing happened to me in kindergarten.
R.d7bf96d4c0fa49b996a3844d150179e5

They wanted me to see a Dick run. That's gross. If the dick is running that is either an STD or a serious medical condition

Hidden-Milky-Brahmanbull-small.gif

tenor-57.gif

This is what I mean.

Jail time.

Wut?

Inmate #1: I'm in here for a triple homicide. What about you?
Inmate #2: Hiram College gave high school seniors college credit for taking a creative writing course. The textbook had writing prompts, some which involved sex, although teachers didn't even use them. I was on the school board.
Inmate #1: WWG1WGA! Pedophile! Save the children! Kill him!
You can tell which posters ITT would've made it into the AP class and that guy is definitely not one of them.

Isn't the entire context to this story important though?
They're 17 year olds taking a college course...which is not a child's class. That's really the key point here for me.
If you're taking a college credit course, it is reasonable to assume that you are going to be exposed to college level material. I don't see this as a manner of incompetence, it's just common sense, imo. Obviously the teacher needs to keep the students ages in mind, but if the course is designed for a higher level, then they are going be using material that was made for a higher level.
It doesn't make much sense to me to throw out an entire book over 5 pages that you're not teaching.

It feels like this story and people's comments on it, and this whole "you're condoning pedophilia" mentality is coming from this HUGE "but what if....." that isn't even close to being a reality. There's no point in this story, or any reality where a lesson on erotic writing would have occurred.
We're talking about not only banning a book because of 4 or 5 sentences that the teacher and class would have never discussed, but also saying that the teachers need to face some kind of consequences for it. I find that to be a crazy overreaction to the nothing that happened.
The whole context is important, it really is and my point stays as it is :
School should not expose kids to material that encourages kids to write about sexual fantasies deliberately about something that they'd not be sharing with their parents and another assignment about getting drunk.
Even if the kids are 17, which makes them near-adults, they're still kids and should be treated as such, which also applies to what is made available to them.
I'd like to think this was an error of someone signing of material without due diligence and quite frankly something that the public sector is known for, so I'd say it's incompetence rather than someone actively checking out the book and coming to the conclusion that this is all OK and that it can do no harm.

So sure, it's an overreaction to some and a sign of incompetence to others.

The whole context is important, it really is and my point stays as it is :
School should not expose kids to material that encourages kids to write about sexual fantasies deliberately about something that they'd not be sharing with their parents and another assignment about getting drunk.
Even if the kids are 17, which makes them near-adults, they're still kids and should be treated as such, which also applies to what is made available to them.
I'd like to think this was an error of someone signing of material without due diligence and quite frankly something that the public sector is known for, so I'd say it's incompetence rather than someone actively checking out the book and coming to the conclusion that this is all OK and that it can do no harm.

So sure, it's an overreaction to some and a sign of incompetence to others.

Ok, you say context is important and then you say something untrue in the next line.
At no point were the kids ever encouraged to write about sexual fantasies, given assignments about it, or even discussed the topic in class. It being one of 642 writing prompts in a book is not 'encouraging' kids to write about sex and getting drunk.

You didn't address my main point, so I'm going to make an assumption here, and you can correct me if I am incorrect.
It isn't just the age that I mentioned, it's that this class is a class for college credit. Which by definition should use college level materials. Using your logic, is it safe to assume that high school students should not have access to college level courses?

You gotta hand it to the posters who are arguing that a book with prompts asking writers to imagine something sexy is worse than actual sexual content itself.

The prompt here should be “write something that will cause busybodies to lose their metaphorical shit”

Here is an analogy: let's say a teacher asked a high school upperclassman to write a film review of any movie on Hulu/Netflix/Prime Video (not an uncommon or unreasonable assignment). While scrolling through the hundreds of different options on the screen, one of the choices is the deeply disturbing/depraved movie, "The House that Jack Built" (or another film that would be universally considered offensive). The teacher made no mention of this film in the assignment, and the student chooses to do the review/critique on another movie. Should heads roll simply because the offensive content is on the menu of the streaming service, even though it was never discussed or watched? Should the school board, school admin, and teacher be held accountable for not vetting that every viewing option on the menu, of hundreds of movies, was school appropriate? IMHO, that would be a ridiculous overreaction.

Yes yes, Netflix and school board approved textbook, same exact thing.

Ok, you say context is important and then you say something untrue in the next line.
At no point were the kids ever encouraged to write about sexual fantasies, given assignments about it, or even discussed the topic in class. It being one of 642 writing prompts in a book is not 'encouraging' kids to write about sex and getting drunk.

You didn't address my main point, so I'm going to make an assumption here, and you can correct me if I am incorrect.
It isn't just the age that I mentioned, it's that this class is a class for college credit. Which by definition should use college level materials. Using your logic, is it safe to assume that high school students should not have access to college level courses?
The assignment (not given to them but included in the material) encouraged the writer to explore their fantasies and write them down, hence the exposure due to the incompetence..
This is all a bit political and I'd be more inclined to say that my reaction would more of a conservative overpour but I can't get over a few things regarding this subject :
If we write off things being 95% (or let's just say vastly) suitable, yet containing material that isn't suitable/is controversial to the context, why do so and why do so especially when the responsibility lies in the hands of the caretaker and not the individual that might be exposed to it (a minor)?
Kids learn about biology, political science and psychology in HS, so let's say exposing them similarly/indirectly to college-level assignments in regards to issues of race, culture and politics by letting some advanced themes linger in the material that they're given but supposed to see.
I say this because these are all taboos and in today's world can cause a total shitstorm in a similar scenario.

So why bother?

The assignment (not given to them but included in the material) encouraged the writer to explore their fantasies and write them down, hence the exposure due to the incompetence..
This is all a bit political and I'd be more inclined to say that my reaction would more of a conservative overpour but I can't get over a few things regarding this subject :
If we write off things being 95% (or let's just say vastly) suitable, yet containing material that isn't suitable/is controversial to the context, why do so and why do so especially when the responsibility lies in the hands of the caretaker and not the individual that might be exposed to it (a minor)?
Kids learn about biology, political science and psychology in HS, so let's say exposing them similarly/indirectly to college-level assignments in regards to issues of race, culture and politics by letting some advanced themes linger in the material that they're given but supposed to see.
I say this because these are all taboos and in today's world can cause a total shitstorm in a similar scenario.

So why bother?

But, should high school students have access to college courses then?
If your stance is, 'students should not have access to such and such until they are 18. Period.", then, while I disagree, I can at least understand that, and it is logically consistent.
But if you are taking a college course, you are working with college material. So it doesn't make a lot of sense to get mad about the material in a book (that isn't even being used) when you're taking a class meant for a college level.

I would get your stance more if this class was a general class, directed at all students. I would still think it was a massive overreaction, but, I could understand it.
Waiting for students to become adults before they are exposed to anything remotely touching or related to adulthood doesn't sound all that beneficial to me. Not talking about these things doesn't usually lead to a better understanding of these things.
There's obviously wrong and right ways to go about that of course.

Back