Old School Fighters that more people should know about

2 Fighters from the old school that should get more attention in my opinion are Jose ''Pele'' Landi-Jons

I'm still butthurt over being apparently no footage of his 2 Muay Thai bouts against Anderson Silva...
The first one from 95, Pelé won via KO, and the rematch one year later via decision, even if according to Anderson and his entourage, it was a huge robbery...
I'd still like to check it out myself.

Plenty of MMA, Kickboxing and Muay Thai bouts from 1995 & before are still online, or we at least have pictures.
Fights from the 50's like Carlson Gracie vs Waldemar Santana, or Helio Gracie vs Masahiko Kimura, no problem it's there:

But Pelé vs Anderson 1&2, fuck me I guess? Not even some pictures?

Anyway, Luiz Azeredo would be my pick. Violent, violent dude.

Great! Sounds like many people nowadays know him from being "that undersized Brazilian can who dabbed on Anderson Silva", but Azeredo was fucking awesome in PRIDE.
Chute Boxe at its best.

I'll throw in his teammate with a similar style, the Cage Rage LW champion who took on Gomi after he beat Luiz Azeredo the first time...

JEAN "WHITE BEAR" SILVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

2004-02-15_Jean_Silva_vs_Leigh_Remedios__28Cage_Rage_5_-_Valentine_27s_Brawl_29_1.gif

Great Chute Boxe fighter, one of the very veeery few MMA guys who managed to incorporate some capoeira moves in his arsenal (usually in fights he was winning to get a flashy finish, but still), which would always please the crowd.

Following Cage Rage during his championship reign was so cool, YOU WANT MY BELT???? FUCK YOU!!!!

Jean Silva first intrigued me because I didn't understand his nickname, why "The White Bear"?
That would suit big pale guys like Jeff Monson or Sergei Kharitonov much better, rather than this small tanned dude from Brazil?

But apparently that's his old capoeira nickname, and in that sport they have the most nonsensical nicknames, so "don't try to make too much out of it" was the answer I got <Fedor23>

Last edited:
Petr "Monster" Knize (25-1). He was supposed to fight Nick Diaz at one point of his career but fight unfortunately didnt happen.

It will sound crazy but he is 44 yo and he is coming for OKTAGON WW title (Division filled with killers and UFC veterans)

He is also main coach of Makhmud Muradov

Last edited:
This is Brian Johnston in the early days of the UFC.
Watch how he overpowers the wrestler and heatbutts on the ground.
He had a stroke and was never the same.

I am a little biassed on this, but my Teacher should be, Johil de Oliveira...a Vale Tudo and Luta Livre OG.
Was the first one to defeat Pelé, had a three year, eleven fight unbeaten run in Vale Tudo (with several One Night Tournaments) and as a natural Lightweight (could have fought as a FW) always fighting against Light Heavyweights and Heavyweights but had the shittiest luck of all time, from being burnt in Pride, nearly losing his sight TWICE.
I am probably biassed, but he should be more well known IMO

Yuki Nakai & John Lewis.

Yuki Nakai due to his Legendary battles with Gerard Gordeau, Craig Pittman and Rickson Gracie. He was eye gouged by Gordeau and continued to go on to fight Craig Pitman and Rickson Gracie due to being disfigured due to the eye gouge and was a smallest man in the Tournament. After Vale Tudo 95 and was blinded in his eye due to the gouge along watching his Peer get submitted by Royler Gracie in Vale Tudo 96 he took up BJJ and retired from Shooto due to his blindness and became the first Japanese BJJ Black Belt and started his own Gym and produced awesome fighters like Shinya Aoki and Satoru Kitoka.

John Lewis, Sure he did not have the best MMA record at 3 wins, 4 losses and 3 draws (In which two of the Draws should have been Wins) he is apart of the dirty dozen of American BJJ Black Belts and brought Nova Uniao to the USA. Plus he helped re-building of the UFC and introduced the Ferttitas and Dana White to BJJ, Also is a black belt in Judo under Gene Lebelle , Crossed trained in other arts and Opened up the former Legendary J-Sect in Las Vegas (The first MMA Gym in Las Vegas) and had numerous students from , Chuck Liddell, Tito Ortiz, The Inoue Brothers, Marc Laimon, Gazzy Parman, Sim Go, Randy Couture, B.J. Penn, Robert Drysdale , ETC. Last he was the first fighter to dominate and beat Rumina Sato (Even though the fight is Labeled as a Draw). I feel he is one of the Old School fighters that MMA fans should learn about in the history of MMA.

Petr "Monster" Knize (25-1). He was supposed to fight Nick Diaz at one point of his career but fight unfortunately didnt happen.

It will sound crazy but he is 44 yo and he is coming for OKTAGON WW title (Division filled with killers and UFC veterans)

He is also main coach of Makhmud Muradov

His tapology has him at 12-1 but does not list the Diaz bout (it would show up as canceled). He did fight Karlos Vemola and was supposed to fight Leandro Higo and Yuki Kondo though.

https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/fighters/60971-petr-knize

Back