Old School Fighters that more people should know about

His tapology has him at 12-1 but does not list the Diaz bout (it would show up as canceled). He did fight Karlos Vemola and was supposed to fight Leandro Higo and Yuki Kondo though.

https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/fighters/60971-petr-knize
He said in one of his interviews, that he was once offered to fight Nick Diaz and he immediately accepted, but fight unfortunately never happened.(It was most likely not official confirmed and thats why its not on Tapology.)

His true record is around 26-1

edit: There is also few translated "interviews" from promo on OKTAGON 23, where Knize talks about oldschool fights, his career and also about career ending injury (they wanted to amputate his leg). 44yo, cant bend one leg but still on "top".
turn on eng subtitles

Last edited:
He said in one of his interviews, that he was once offered to fight Nick Diaz and he immediately accepted, but fight unfortunately never happened.(It was most likely not official confirmed and thats why its not on Tapology.)

His true record is around 26-1

edit: There is also few translated "interviews" from promo on OKTAGON 23, where Knize talks about oldschool fights, his career and also about career ending injury (they wanted to amputate his leg). 44yo, cant bend one leg but still on "top".
turn on eng subtitles

I remember people saying that Matt Serra and Shannon Ritch always talked about fights they had that are unlisted.

I can't believe nobody mentions Rumina Sato.
Maybe because everyone knows who he is? Hopefully that's the reason. Masakatsu Funaki and Rumina Sato are both awesome. People used to compare them back in the day, with the idea that they were like different-sized versions of one another.

Pedro Rizzo (his fighting style wasn't entertaining by any of 2 million definitions but he was a great man to represent bushido from South America. Even after so much success, he kept wearing Marco Ruas t-shirt over the UFC belt. It was an admirable demonstration of true bushido, true due respect paid towards the right direction in the righteous feudal way. The shirt was made of Brazilian cotton and printed with Brazilian technology. Sure, marco's face would become indistinguishable after 3 machine washes. But respect shown will never fade)

Mark Kerr (let's be honest and admit Kerr was the original invincibully in the sport for at least 3 years. After retirement, he took up a regular salary based job and lives his life as a honest tax payer. He's a true champ.)

Uchu tatsumi (former Shooto fighter who quit fighting after his first loss due to a close decision. He didn't believe in dying twice. Tatsumi is the most educated mma professional ever to date with master degree from university of Tokyo that's about 100 times more difficult than receiving PhD from most American schools. He has been fighting severe mental diseases for decades and travels around Japan giving seminars and lectures to enlighten the society. )

As mentioned Yuki Nakai should be treated like mma royalty. A lot of older fighters deserve more recognition from Bustamante, Tom Erikson and Volk Han even Tamura who I was never a big fan off deserves more recognition.

Pele is the best answer. If there was a real MMA hall of fame he'd be in it. Doesn't even have a wikipedia page.

Other guys off the top of my head:
Frank Trigg
Scott Smith
JZ Cavalcante
Joachim Hansen
Vitor Ribeiro
Denis Kang
I've read a few comments from guys on Reddit where they talk about making the page but it keeps getting deleted. Apparently someone doesn't consider him "significant" enough, which is ridiculous.

Jiri Prochazka didn't even have a wiki page until recently. Weird.

I remember people saying that Matt Serra and Shannon Ritch always talked about fights they had that are unlisted.
Shannon Ritch talks about those in this podcast =>

It's the Rick Bassman "3 way dance" podcast with Shannon Ritch, Dan Severn and Travis Fulton. Very interesting;
(it hits differently now that Fulton has been convicted of possessing kiddie pr0n...)

Shannon "The Cannon" Ritch is a super nice guy, a great teacher, so don't hesitate to hit him up on facebook, he always answers questions from fans.
Even complicated ones ^^

He might be a joke to a bunch of MMA fans obsessed with unbeaten fighters and perfect records because he has the most losses, but he's a living encyclopedia when it comes to the early days of MMA, and (from my experience) he's always happy to share.

Mr Ritch is one old school fighter that I respect a lot; sure, lots of people know about him, but on Sherdog when his name is brought up, 99% of the time it's to make fun of him...
I wish he could be more respected, that's for sure.

EDIT: FIXED FIGHTS SIDENOTE
On Sherdog we often talk about fixed fights in MMA, and how sometimes one of the 2 fighters isn't even aware that his opponent is taking a dive.

In this podcast they talk about how at the Cage Rage 20
(from 2007, awesome event, lots of very interesting fighters and match-ups),

Rick Bassman was approached the day of the fight by the Cage Rage guys, who asked him to tell Dan Severn that they would throw in an extra 10k if he let Dave Legeno (RIP...) beat him up ("let him do the honors"), but don't let him know it was fixed.

Dave Legeno was one of the promotion's favorite dudes, and after a rough start he was finally able to put a couple wins together, and they wanted to boost his confidence with a win over Dan Severn, so the money was to lose the fight, and to never tell Dave that he didn't actually win.

Dan Severn told Rick to tell the Cage Rage guys that he didn't want to do it, but lost anyway...

Nothing groundbreaking, but just another example of a fight where the winner would have had no idea the other dude let him win.

Travis Fulton then bring up something interesting, how sometimes before the athletic commissions were in place, somebody could win a fight (that would go to a decision) against one of the promoters favorite, and the promoters would just take the cards from the judges and declare their boy the winner, even if the judges had scored against him.

Fulton says it happened twice to him, and brings up the 2006 bout between Dan Severn and Brian Heden at https://www.sherdog.com/events/NFA-Night-of-the-Beast-4648

Fulton, who was also part of the event
(he beat 1-15 Mike Kofoot just before the main event; Fulton actually beat Mike Kofoot 4 times in 2006),
claims that the promoters were going to pull that shit on Severn, who had beaten their boy Haden (was was a regular at NFA, he started his career there, and it was his 6th fight in a row in that promotion)
by split decision on the scorecards, but the NFA dudes taking care of Brian Heden were going to take the cards from the judges and just declare Brian the winner.

But Travis Fulton saw what they were doing and called them out, ruining their scam.
(From what I understand, Brian Heden had no knowledge of this happening)

Last edited:
Shannon Ritch talks about those in this podcast =>

It's the Rick Bassman "3 way dance" podcast with Shannon Ritch, Dan Severn and Travis Fulton. Very interesting;
(it hits differently now that Fulton has been convicted of possessing kiddie pr0n...)

Shannon "The Cannon" Ritch is a super nice guy, a great teacher, so don't hesitate to hit him up on facebook, he always answers questions from fans.
Even complicated ones ^^

He might be a joke to a bunch of MMA fans obsessed with unbeaten fighters and perfect records because he has the most losses, but he's a living encyclopedia when it comes to the early days of MMA, and (from my experience) he's always happy to share.

Mr Ritch is one old school fighter that I respect a lot; sure, lots of people know about him, but on Sherdog when his name is brought up, 99% of the time it's to make fun of him...
I wish he could be more respected, that's for sure.

EDIT: FIXED FIGHTS SIDENOTE
On Sherdog we often talk about fixed fights in MMA, and how sometimes one of the 2 fighters isn't even aware that his opponent is taking a dive.

In this podcast they talk about how at the Cage Rage 20
(from 2007, awesome event, lots of very interesting fighters and match-ups),

Rick Bassman was approached the day of the fight by the Cage Rage guys, who asked him to tell Dan Severn that they would throw in an extra 10k if he let Dave Legeno (RIP...) beat him up ("let him do the honors"), but don't let him know it was fixed.

Dave Legeno was one of the promotion's favorite dudes, and after a rough start he was finally able to put a couple wins together, and they wanted to boost his confidence with a win over Dan Severn, so the money was to lose the fight, and to never tell Dave that he didn't actually win.

Dan Severn told Rick to tell the Cage Rage guys that he didn't want to do it, but lost anyway...

Nothing groundbreaking, but just another example of a fight where the winner would have had no idea the other dude let him win.

Travis Fulton then bring up something interesting, how sometimes before the athletic commissions were in place, somebody could win a fight (that would go to a decision) against one of the promoters favorite, and the promoters would just take the cards from the judges and declare their boy the winner, even if the judges had scored against him.

Fulton says it happened twice to him, and brings up the 2006 bout between Dan Severn and Brian Heden at https://www.sherdog.com/events/NFA-Night-of-the-Beast-4648

Fulton, who was also part of the event
(he beat 1-15 Mike Kofoot just before the main event; Fulton actually beat Mike Kofoot 4 times in 2006),
claims that the promoters were going to pull that shit on Severn, who had beaten their boy Haden (was was a regular at NFA, he started his career there, and it was his 6th fight in a row in that promotion)
by split decision on the scorecards, but the NFA dudes taking care of Brian Heden were going to take the cards from the judges and just declare Brian the winner.

But Travis Fulton saw what they were doing and called them out, ruining their scam.
(From what I understand, Brian Heden had no knowledge of this happening)

I have always heard that Shannon Ritch is a awesome teacher/coach.

Also glad to see Yuki Nakai is getting more love here.

Really depends on how you define old school. There are so many great veterans who never got their proper due. Here's one that rarely gets mentioned: Javier Vazquez.

Maybe because everyone knows who he is? Hopefully that's the reason. Masakatsu Funaki and Rumina Sato are both awesome. People used to compare them back in the day, with the idea that they were like different-sized versions of one another.

I doubt it. He did fight some big stars in the sports during his time, like Hansen and Uno but spent his whole career in shooto instead of the big organisations.

I doubt it. He did fight some big stars in the sports during his time, like Hansen and Uno but spent his whole career in shooto instead of the big organisations.
He was a huge star among hardcore fans and really, I'd guess that he still is. His flying armbar victory, for example, was one of the most iconic MMA highlights. And at the time he fought those guys, he was the big name, not them. Uno's wins over him were seen as major upsets.

I'm sure a lot of these contemporary fans that basically only know the UFC aren't familiar with him, but I doubt there are many hardcore fans my age or older who don't know who he is. As a guy who was a moderator on this board for a long time, I can definitely say that in those days, he was a huge name on these boards, i.e., among hardcore fans.

He was a huge star among hardcore fans and really, I'd guess that he still is. His flying armbar victory, for example, was one of the most iconic MMA highlights. And at the time he fought those guys, he was the big name, not them. Uno's wins over him were seen as major upsets.

I'm sure a lot of these contemporary fans that basically only know the UFC aren't familiar with him, but I doubt there are many hardcore fans my age or older who don't know who he is. As a guy who was a moderator on this board for a long time, I can definitely say that in those days, he was a huge name on these boards, i.e., among hardcore fans.

Yes, I know. That's why I'm surprised his name wasn't mentioned.

Back