Olympic Boxing thread: Every night Starting 7/23.

Torrez is fan friendly but he eats too many shots to be able to close the range on Jalolov without eating something big.
If this is the same boxer who is a pro, then: this Jalolov phyiscally might be like a beast but he is predictable, straight forward and stiff.
Is this the same who is also a pro?
And the judges decisions seem to be in general ok this time.
Most likely depends from where they are etc. London 2012, some 2016 th and 1988 th in Seul had some very funny judges scorecards.
Sometimes like Adelaide and Julie in US pro boxing.

It’s rare to see such a brutal KO I’m the Amis.

Jalolov moves really well for his size. I’m sure Torres has made big improvements in the last 2 years but I feel that he’s gonna have the same problem this time round

Yeah, I'm having a difficult time imagining Torrez being able to get inside on Jalolov without eating big shots again. He does close the distance pretty quickly but he doesn't have the greatest head movement while doing so. I think Jalolov is going to exploit that again.

It will be interesting to see what happens because no one has managed to keep Torrez off them so far. Jalolov is a different level though.

Yeah, he definitely is. I think Torrez has improved quite a bit from two years ago but I'm afraid it's not going to be enough given Jalolov's physical & stylistic advantages.

Is this the same who is also a pro?

Yes, Jalolov is 8-0 ( 8 KOs ) as a professional. His opposition has been mediocre at best though. But I expect that to change once the Olympics are over & he resumes his career. Especially if he wins the gold. Then they'll probably put him on a much faster track.

Yes, Jalolov is 8-0 ( 8 KOs ) as a professional. His opposition has been mediocre at best though. But I expect that to change once the Olympics are over & he resumes his career. Especially if he wins the gold.

Then they'll probably put him on a much faster track.

Most likely.
If this is the same guy, then I had watched his pro fights vs Leal and Zutis.
Lad for sure needs good sparring partners and improve a lot. He is too predictable.

Physically looks that he is very strong and also does have reach enough for modern HW division for sure.

I also noticed how Jalolov switched his boxing and movement to a higher level once the ref gave him that standing count. Idk what is up with these guys fighting so loose in an olympic semi final which is anyway only three god damn rounds long.

I think he looks more like Ben Askren

Well, however you want to look at it he's a good-looking kid. This means he's going to have a lot of crossover appeal with the girls like Delahoya used to back in the day & as Ryan Garcia does now. So, he has the potential to be a big star when he turns pro. Especially if he becomes an American hero by winning a gold medal. His earning potential is huge. Contingent upon him not getting murdered by Jalolov again on Sunday.

Well, however you want to look at it he's a good-looking kid. This means he's going to have a lot of crossover appeal with the girls like Delahoya used to back in the day & as Ryan Garcia does now. So, he has the potential to be a big star when he turns pro. Especially if he becomes an American hero by winning a gold medal. His earning potential is huge. Contingent upon him not getting murdered by Jalolov again on Sunday.
Without a doubt, there was an ammy show here in southern cali where he was attending not fighting and he got mobbed by fans, sky’s the limit if his mind is right, whether he wins gold or not.

The russian who fought ragan is trash. I cant wait until his porous defense gets him flat lined and put onto a highlight reel.

Yeah, I'm having a difficult time imagining Torrez being able to get inside on Jalolov without eating big shots again. He does close the distance pretty quickly but he doesn't have the greatest head movement while doing so. I think Jalolov is going to exploit that again.

torres is a worthy finalist and has made clear improvements these last 2 years. It’s gonna and a great final, whoever wins. Their styles match up so well.
Jalolovs gonna be a real problem for the top pros within a couple of years.

Another Silver guaranteed for Team GB. Yafai did really well to beat the Kazakh although it was very close. I think he has a shot at Gold against Paalam.

And a great fight between Marcial and Khyzniak. I agree with the result, I think Khyzniak was a bit more busy especially in the last round.

Last edited:
The russian who fought ragan is trash. I cant wait until his porous defense gets him flat lined and put onto a highlight reel.
I didnt watch that fight but the Russian guy won tthe worlds this year by throwing 500 punches a round. Its his style, it looks ugly

And a great fight between Marcial and Khyzniak. I agree with the result, I think Khyzniak was a bit more busy especially in the last round.

Great fight indeed. I had Marcial winning though. The ukrainian was busy but Marcial landed the more effective blows in the third. I guess judges didn't like that wrestling from Marcial where he was buying time.

Hoping this aussie garside can get past the cuban in semis at LW in around 6 hours. Up against it thou. 1/4 of the fights and the Cuban is on a 25 win streak.

Khyzniak/Marcial was great. Fine with the decision, but I think Marcial will be better in the pros (and should have won based on landing the more telling blows).

Keyshawn Davis will be fighting for Gold, Lightweight Division.

Back