Out of these musicians (Tournament) - Who are the 5 best singers? (First Elimination Round)

Who's your picks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This poll is a bit of a trick question. If you mean "best singer" i.e. best vocal quality and range only, there's many who'd rival or surpass MJ. Freddie Mercury comes to mind.

But the premise is "of these singers, who [is] the best?" That opens it up to factors on top of simple voice quality: style, charisma, dance moves, song-writing, cultural impact. MJ was first and foremost an entertainer and he stands alone as the total package, with no one else coming close.

I changed the title is it better now?

I love Cyndi Lauper and all but she has no business being on this list. Especially when the two of the best female singers aren’t on it: Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey…

I love Cyndi Lauper and all but she has no business being on this list. Especially when the two of the best female singers aren’t on it: Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey…

This is a tournament, there are a 100 musicians in this tournament. So there is still 4 more elimination round polls. Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston are on there.

Freddie.

Overall I am voting Mike Patton(1992-2009 era) to the finals when his round comes up

LL-MikePatton-01.jpg

I changed the title is it better now?

That makes it a lot harder lol. For this round guess I'll go with MJ, Mercury, Morrison, Annie Lennox, Aretha Franklin. But by limiting it to rock/pop singers, it's a bit like asking "who is the best pure boxer among career MMA fighters?" Vocal quality is part of the total package but rock/pop has always been more about resonating with the masses and "putting butts in seats." I don't think any pop singer matches the top opera singers in terms of vocal range and quality.

Last edited:
Thanks for tagging me @MXZT and for putting in the work.

Billie
Freddie
Aretha
Lou Reed
Iggy Pop - just cause I like the guy and it was a tough choice on the rest.

Axl Rose has a 6 octave singing range and from a purely gifted standpoint, virtually nobody in the poll could compete with him.

First box I ticked was Ann Wilson. I'm a huge Zepplin fan and she covers them as good or better than The Mighty Rearranger himself.

I like Lou Reed and Iggy Pop and a lot of what they stood/stand for, but to be honest, neither one of them can sing. I thought about doing a thread about singers who can't sing (even if you personally like them and their music) and they were among the people I was thinking of.
My uncle once referred to the local hero as "Bruce Can't-Sing-Steen" and I've never been able to get that out of my head.

Only one not debatable is Freddie. All others I can see it being about taste. But Aaron Lewis is not getting enough love, That guy can sit on stage with a guitar and play a stadium. Would like to see Steve Perry represented.

What no Corey Taylor!

No Manson!

VingFuckYall.gif

Ok done venting...maybe

Of those listed...Mind that I'm impacted by remembering live shows a bit..

Freddy Mercury
Annie Lenox
Layne Stanley
Maynard
Cindi Lauper - sorry love the lass!

Back