Out of these musicians (Tournament) - Who are the 5 best singers? (Second Elimination Round)

Who's your picks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Can Whitney sing without going full blast? I doubt she could do much with the Lennon song I've linked. Like, she could technically sing it, sure, but she wouldn't be able to put in the emotion and subtle sense of sorrow that Lennon does (it's probably about his mother, from whom he was separated at a young age - on the surface it is a love song, but his delivery is all sadness and longing). I have never heard her sing anything where she mixes restraint and emotion like Lennon does here - she is always going full blast over the top. Her and Mariah Carey are the Nicholas Cages of singing: sometimes enjoyable, but always ostentatious over the top and often a bit vulgar, really.

Lennon did rock, pop, earnest ballads, surrealism, confessional songs, political songs etc.

I doubt Whitney could make this one a banger either... I'd have respected her more if she had tried though. Give Lennon I will Always Love you and I think he'd have made it his own, like Willie Nelson took "Always on my Mind" and made a version at least as good as the Elvis classic.

What you're saying is definitely true, and a lot of people who are overly impressed by big voices don't get it. There are some modern artists like Bruno Mars and Adele who can both belt it out and nail softer emotions. Imo they are much more impressive than someone like Whitney Houston or Celine Dion who can outdo them with technical singing ability.

Back