Overrated ATG’s

Mike Tyson
As a Tyson I can see the argument, however if you read closely in these forums all heavyweight eras were weak, there are people right more saying this era is weak, if that’s the case then the Klitchkos are the worst champs ever

Can anyone recommend a good fight of Monzon's to watch?

Ideally something on youtube that has decent production.

Oh I thought we were going to make real cases.
Dude has skills no doubt, but if you want to be talk seriously, sometimes he hampers his own work as much as his opponents, with his tactics.
He rarely throws more than one or two shots before holding.

I don't like calling anyone overrated who has made a name for himself with fist fighting. When two men get in the ring, the truth always comes out. I think certain things are misvalued though, like Muhammad Ali being a great technician, whereas in reality he lacked fundamentals... Or Sonny Liston often gets rated too high, as many don't seem to realize that he had only one title defense... Or in recent memory I'd say that the public perception of Deontay Wilder and the reality were two very different things.

I don't like calling anyone overrated who has made a name for himself with fist fighting. When two men get in the ring, the truth always comes out. I think certain things are misvalued though, like Muhammad Ali being a great technician, whereas in reality he lacked fundamentals... Or Sonny Liston often gets rated too high, as many don't seem to realize that he had only one title defense... Or in recent memory I'd say that the public perception of Deontay Wilder and the reality were two very different things.
Sounds accurate to me.

Monzon went 1-0-1 against Philadelphias Bennie Briscoe.
Bennie was a good fighter.
Took Emile Griffith too a draw in their rematch. Gave Hagler, Vito, and Valdez tough fights everytime.
Valdez is the only one to ever KO him.
He beat future LHW champ Eddie Mustafa Muhammad.
Apparently Cus thought very highly of him and he is thought of one of those great fighters to never win a championship. Went 0-3 in all three tries but almost KOd Monzon in their rematch.

Valdez , Briscoe and BenVenuti were also quality wins for Monzon ....Monzon is one of the best Mws of all time imo

Not to sound like an expert analyst or writer, but what I look for is quality of opposition, skill/talent, and longevity
Guys like Camacho, Wildredo Gomez, and Norris meet those criteria but are hardly mentioned on ATG discussions, Monzon and Pryor had Maurice Blocker type careers and thats not a knock on Blocker as you said, he fought who he had to and made a good career out of it despite not being massively talented. And you also mentioned luck being a part of it is true, Ryan Garcia is a perfect example, I think having the right promoter that cares and invests in you plays a big role too.

Edit: I meant to compare Monzon and Pryor to Simon Brown, not Mairice Blocker
Curious what Camacho wins impressed you ?

Ken Norton.

He was basically the Carlos Baldimor of the Heavyweight ATGs.

Marciano's fight against Walcott was fixed

He beat nothing but washed up greats and would've literally died in the ring if he stuck around for Liston
fixed where he almost killed Walcott?

Ken Norton.

He was basically the Carlos Baldimor of the Heavyweight ATGs.
so here is my thing with that.

I get the argument and it's certainly compelling

but he did beat Muhammad Ali. and if you want to say it was just a weird matchup for Ali than i totally get it.

but he did also go to a split decision loss vs Holmes that a lot of people think he won. I mean. This dude arguably has 2x (some think 3) wins over Ali and a win over Larry Holmes.

I can't poo poo that.

As much as I loved kostya growing up I always thought he lacked big wins. Judah, mitchell an old JCC?! His top 5 wins would be thin compared to other ATG's. Obv. Gets credit for unifying the division however.
Fought everyone he could’ve .....Although Mosley vs Oscar one was a great fight ....I was hoping Mosley would’ve fought Tszyu on his way up

so here is my thing with that.

I get the argument and it's certainly compelling

but he did beat Muhammad Ali. and if you want to say it was just a weird matchup for Ali than i totally get it.

but he did also go to a split decision loss vs Holmes that a lot of people think he won. I mean. This dude arguably has 2x (some think 3) wins over Ali and a win over Larry Holmes.

I can't poo poo that.

Yeah but does Veron Forrest get to become a ATG cause he beat Shane. Naw. Norton really just a tough guy.

Yeah but does Veron Forrest get to become a ATG cause he beat Shane. Naw. Norton really just a tough guy.
if Forest had beat Shane and gone to a split with Oscar that he probably won

would that be different?

if Forest had beat Shane and gone to a split with Oscar that he probably won

would that be different?

Naw cause that still only be two close Named wins. That be like calling Golta a HW ATG.

If you asked the average boxing fan to name 5 guys Marciano fought, they'd struggle if they could do it at all.
Louis
Walcott
Charles
Moore
Layne
Lastarza (?)
Matthews

Agreed not a great record.....fun as hell to watch though lol

Back