Overrated movie you've ever seen?

Shawshank Redemption, was one of the handful of people who actually watched it in the cinema, said it was meh, no cunt cared.

Some Oscar nominations everybody jumps on the bandwagon to the extent of it supposedly being the best movie ever made, say it’s meh these days and everybody loses their shit.
Shawshank was good, but it was a rip off from escape from Alcatraz.

Big Fish
Both Kill Bill movies
Brazil
A lot of Wes Anderson's films
Step Brothers
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Big fish? Come on man lol.. Was that really hyped,

I don't think Watchmen got a lot of hype.

It was generally regarded as a soulless shot-for-shot that missed the spirit of the comic and changed the ending to appeal to broader audiences.

I think it did a good job of [mostly] bringing the comic directly to film, but wasn't particularly outstanding by itself.

Pretty much. However, I think it has rose to some pop-cult status by a loud minority of folks who praise it as the greatest superhero film ever made, and I would define that as overrated.

At the time though, yeah, it just kind of came and went. Appropriately so. It had some moments(the whole Dr. Manhattan creation sequence is legit), but overall was kind of forgettable.

Big fish? Come on man lol.. Was that really hyped,

Somewhat. Not in a big blockbuster kind of way, but it was praised as a return to form for Tim Burton, and had some Oscar buzz. Overall, it was just as soulless and muddled as most Tim Burton flicks post "Ed Wood".

Somewhat. Not in a big blockbuster kind of way, but it was praised as a return to form for Tim Burton, and had some Oscar buzz. Overall, it was just as soulless and muddled as most Tim Burton flicks post "Ed Wood".

I didn't find it soulless. I would say ewans performance was soulful.

I never said it was an arty film. I compared it to Andy Warhol and his art deco Campbell's soup cans. Everyday objects showcased as art.

I'd describe Pulp Fiction as a "crass" movie. It has a lot of lowbrow elements, themes and references borrowed from lowbrow sources. At the time critics thought it was groundbreaking because of the flashback, flashforward sequences and apparently the characters really resonated with some viewers.

I didn't agree with the critics then, and I still don't but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I won't argue the subjective qualities of the film you may find overrated in itself(like the convoluted structure).

However, damn near every scene in that movie is quotable and classic. If for nothing else, it's a collage of memorable scenes that stick into the public consciousness to this day, and it really has nothing to do with it's marketing or anything. It's just a movie that resonates with people throughout the years. Love it or hate it, you can't deny the impression it leaves on people. It's hard to call it overrated on any level.

I'm gonna do something a little different and call out an overrated SCENE in a movie that I think is actually really good, if a tad (and I mean a tad) overrated.

Talking about David Fincher's Zodiac. Talking about the basement scene at the end.

Now maybe it's because I was born in Vallejo, CA and heard about the zodiac all my life. And maybe it's because I knew I the movie was written by the author of a book, who was currently still alive, and that the zodiac killer had never been positively identified.

People point to this scene as a master class in suspense but I just don't see it.

#1) We know the story of the zodiac that he never got caught, so we know this isn't the guy
#2) We know nothing bad happened to Robert Graysmith so unless they are about to friggin' lie, he is in no danger in this scene

And so I wonder why people point to this scene as a master in suspense when we already know the outcome. Is it simple because the rest of the movie surrounded it is by comparison so non-suspenseful that by introducing even just the slightest hint of tension the basement scene becomes in effect extremely suspenseful?

1) Avengers movies
2) Iron Man
3) Guardians of the Galaxy

1 is decent and 3 is ok but still overrated.
I didn't think Iron Man 1 and 2 were all that great, just average flicks, nothing special.

Pulp Fiction, decent movie and nothing more......what exactly is it that has people thinking its some sort of masterpiece?

Clueless, its overrated, not that good

91GN36kx7sL._SY606_.jpg
<TrumpWrong1>

One of the GOAT 90s movies

The book was written before Alcatraz was made
I would have to read it to see if it was actually Alcatraz that plagiarized the book then. That's interesting and thanks for telling me.

Pulp Fiction, decent movie and nothing more......what exactly is it that has people thinking its some sort of masterpiece?

The walken scene puts it over the top for me. Still would go B+ and not A, but it was good.

Gangs of New York

Movie is a fuckin mess
This is how i felt the first couple times I watched it.. Once it clicks, you see it sticks together better than you thought. Watch again, and maybe even twice more.

I don't know what it is for me or why I dislike them so much. I love fantasy stuff like Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones but I hate comic book movies. When it comes to specifically comic book movies I can't seem to do the whole suspension of belief and think its all dumb. Maybe because comic book movies take place in the "real" world? Maybe I am just a jaded dude? I don't know. I was dragged along to see Deadpool and I liked that one but the rest of them I just really dislike.

No, you are exactly right. This is a major failing of the comic book movies. In the comics, and cartoons based on them, the world they take place in is way different than our world. It has people in it. It’s called Earth. But it’s like a parallel universe version of Earth. And it’s easier to believe these superheroes exist there.

But they set all the movies in our version of Earth, present day. And for some reason it just takes away from it.

This is how i felt the first couple times I watched it.. Once it clicks, you see it sticks together better than you thought. Watch again, and maybe even twice more.

I've seen the movie a bunch of times, including at the theater in 2002 when it came out. It's a mess. Awful modern soundtrack. I hate modern soundtracks on period pieces. Not a fan of Cameron Diaz either. The ending is terrible.

I've seen the movie a bunch of times, including at the theater in 2002 when it came out. It's a mess. Awful modern soundtrack. I hate modern soundtracks on period pieces. Not a fan of Cameron Diaz either. The ending is terrible.

It had a lot of period music. My dear annie, the waltz song at the church party, the paddy goes to war for America song, the background fiddle when they are uptown.. The movie itself had period music throughout..

Back