Paintings and drawings - post yours

Great work everyone. Fun fact that I've never shared here: I studied fine art for several years, actually had to stop going to the studio because of the pandemic, but also had been feeling frustrated with my work for months before that. Haven't felt motivated to create anything since March, and haven't touched pencils or paints pretty much since then.

AUrfLJg.jpg

TLCI8uy.jpg

7EvIYQ9.jpg

45qdeca.jpg

rLeRuK2.jpg

Great work everyone. Fun fact that I've never shared here: I studied fine art for several years, actually had to stop going to the studio because of the pandemic, but also had been feeling frustrated with my work for months before that. Haven't felt motivated to create anything since March, and haven't touched pencils or paints pretty much since then.

AUrfLJg.jpg

TLCI8uy.jpg

7EvIYQ9.jpg

45qdeca.jpg

rLeRuK2.jpg
Beautiful work.

AUrfLJg.jpg

TLCI8uy.jpg

7EvIYQ9.jpg

45qdeca.jpg

rLeRuK2.jpg

Amazing work bro. I'm trying to teach myself the fundamentals in my spare time and these are inspiring.

Beautiful work.

Thanks man! Your work is awesome too, I'm a big fan of comic book style art.

Amazing work bro. I'm trying to teach myself the fundamentals in my spare time and these are inspiring.

Thanks bro, I need to get back into it. It's been tough to feel motivated to paint without a space to set up models. Let me know if there's anything you need help with. I had a formalish education, but there's a lot of good resources out there, depending on what your interests are.

Last edited:
Let me know if there's anything you need help with. I had a formalish education, but there's a lot of good resources out there, depending on what your interests are.

Thanks man. I've been reading Andrew Loomis books and working through those. I started digital painting first to help with PS manipulations but whenever I drew stuff from scratch and painted it, even though the painting kind of looked halfway decent my form and structure were way off.

That's what I'm focused on now structure and form so I'm just doing as many daily studies as I have time for and learning from the Proko website as well as some books.

But if you have any suggestions or links to good resources I'm all ears bro. I really want to focus on getting better at drawing this year.

Thanks man. I've been reading Andrew Loomis books and working through those. I started digital painting first to help with PS manipulations but whenever I drew stuff from scratch and painted it, even though the painting kind of looked halfway decent my form and structure were way off.

That's what I'm focused on now structure and form so I'm just doing as many daily studies as I have time for and learning from the Proko website as well as some books.

But if you have any suggestions or links to good resources I'm all ears bro. I really want to focus on getting better at drawing this year.

I really do think that Loomis' old school figure and head drawing books are excellent. It all depends a bit on what you'd like to do.

If you're interested in the human figure and drawing from imagination, Loomis is a really good place to start, so I would take time with him, he's worth it. I would also recommend Glen Vilppu's figure drawing book and his old school video course, he has great advice on imagination drawing. That was one of the things that got me started. If you're interested in very realistic observational work, then you might have to complement with some other sources, like Tony Ryder's guide to figure drawing, Solomon J. Solomon's book and Harold Speed's "Practice and science of drawing". The very conceptual approach (where everything is based on imaginary 3d forms like cubes, spheres, etc) of the first books can lead to some mannerisms, if what you're interested in is hard realism. These last ones have more advice on drawing from observing the model very accurately and things like tone and rendering, which are necessary for realism. But again, it depends a bit on what interests you the most (not that you can't blend and practice both, of course).

If you're interested in the human figure, anatomy can be pretty important. My single favorite anatomy book is "Artistic Anatomy" by Paul Richer. This guy set the standard for anatomical knowledge as it concerns artists back in the XIX century. A large amount of modern anatomy books (including pretty much every single anatomy plate in Loomis) are based on his original work. The only downside is that it contains almost no drawing advice and is very technical, so it might be worth waiting a bit before approaching it. There is a German author, Gottfried Bammes, who has some interesting books on artistic anatomy with some more conceptual plates, esp "Die Gestalt des Menschen" that are pretty good, as well as an Italian book that is based on the same approach called "Struttura Uomo". Those last 2 books blend anatomy and conceptual figure drawing pretty nicely (no need to bother with the text). I would also recommend getting a skull and studying it from different angles if you can get a hold of one (I think they're like $20-$50 on amazon). And if you get the chance of getting people to pose for you for portraits (or if you can get them nude, even better lol), that will be great practice as well.

If you're more interested in objects and perspective, I think Scott Robertson has amazing stuff. A bunch of dvds and some books. He's great at creating vehicles, objects, spaceships, etc in believable imaginary 3d space and renders them from very successfully. If you're interested in creating environments with a bunch of stuff in them from imagination more than in the figure or portrait, that will be helpful, as well as some perspective books. But at this kind of stuff I'm less experienced.

I think Proko has good stuff, I haven't really delved into his website, I met the guy very briefly once haha. I've seen some of his advice online and I think he interviews a lot of great artists, so he seems interesting.

I know that is a lot, but drawing is very broad and has a bunch of facets, kinda like martial arts. You might want to specialize or do all of it, so your approach will depend on what interests you the most.

Last edited:
I really do think that Loomis' old school figure and head drawing books are really excellent. It all depends a bit on what you'd like to do.

If you're interested in the human figure and drawing from imagination, Loomis is a really good place to start, so I would take time with him, he's worth it. I would also recommend Glen Vilppu's figure drawing book and his old school video course, he has great advice on imagination drawing. That was one of the things that got me started. If you're interested in very realistic observational work, then you might have to complement with some other sources, like Tony Ryder's guide to figure drawing, Solomon J. Solomon's book and Harold Speed's "Practice and science of drawing". The very conceptual approach (where everything is based on imaginary 3d forms like cubes, spheres, etc) of the first books can lead to some mannerisms, if what you're interested in is hard realism. These last ones have more advice on drawing from observing the model very accurately and things like tone and rendering, which are necessary for realism. But again, it depends a bit on what interests you the most (not that you can't blend and practice both, of course).

If you're interested in the human figure, anatomy can be pretty important. My single favorite anatomy book is "Artistic Anatomy" by Paul Richer. This guy set the standard for anatomical knowledge as it concerns artists back in the XIX century. A large amount of modern anatomy books (including pretty much every single anatomy plate in Loomis) are based on his original work. The only downside is that it contains almost no drawing advice and is very technical, so it might be worth waiting a bit before approaching it. There is a German author, Gottfried Bammes, who has some interesting books on artistic anatomy with some more conceptual plates, esp "Die Gestalt des Menschen" that are pretty good, as well as an Italian book that is based on the same approach called "Struttura Uomo". Those last 2 books blend anatomy and conceptual figure drawing pretty nicely (no need to bother with the text). I would also recommend getting a skull and studying it from different angles if you can get a hold of one (I think they're like $20-$50 on amazon). And if you get the chance of getting people to pose for you for portraits (or if you can get them nude, even better lol), that will be great practice as well.

If you're more interested in objects and perspective, I think Scott Robertson has amazing stuff. A bunch of dvds and some books. He's great at creating vehicles, objects, spaceships, etc in believable imaginary 3d space and renders them from very successfully. If you're interested in creating environments with a bunch of stuff in them from imagination more than in the figure or portrait, that will be helpful, as well as some perspective books. But at this kind of stuff I'm less experienced.

I think Proko has good stuff, I haven't really delved into his website, I met the guy very briefly once haha. I've seen some of his advice online and I think he interviews a lot of great artists, so he seems interesting.

I know that is a lot, but drawing is very broad and has a bunch of facets, kinda like martial arts. You might want to specialize or do all of it, so your approach will depend on what interests you the most.

This is awesome bro, thanks for typing all that out. I'll look out for those books.

I'm really into doing caricature portraits so my focus has been on learning the planes of the head and studying the Asaro head, drawing it from different angles and with different lighting. I really like the way Jason Seiler paints, he does caricature portraits but with realistic rendering.

I've also read Tom Richmond's book 'The Mad Art of Caricature' and love Sebastian Krugers stuff.

I've dabbled in learning some anatomy too but that is all new. Haha there is so much stuff to learn it's crazy I just wanted to get a bit better to help out with PS work but then it became a bit of a passion for me, so I've been spending a lot of my spare time studying and trying to learn the basics.

I bought one of those posable wooden dummies and that has actually helped me a good bit so buying a skull is probably a good idea too. thanks for the suggestion. I just put a bunch of those books into my Amazon list so I'll definitely check them out and I do remember there being some of Glenn Vilppu's stuff on Proko's channel so I'll revisit it and take a deeper look.

I do have Scott Robertson's books 'How to Draw' and 'How to Render' and they are really good books for technical drawing and perspective, but the books I really learned perspective from are by a guy called Marco Mateu-Mestre and his books are called 'Framed Perspective' Volume 1 and 2 they are both really good and came highly recommended by a few people.

I never thought I would have to study so much with all this to understand it better but I'm enjoying learning it all and just have to continue to work hard at it but the progress can be slow at times. I'm definitely noticing the difference if I make the effort to draw every day even if I'm not producing something that would be considered finished.

I would really love to do some live drawing classes though that would be awesome we're still in lockdown here and I think it will be a while before I get the chance to do something like that though.

Thanks for all the advice man I will definitely look into all. I really appreciate you taking the time to do that.

AUrfLJg.jpg

TLCI8uy.jpg

7EvIYQ9.jpg

45qdeca.jpg

rLeRuK2.jpg
Damn mate, those look fantastic.

Which one of these would you say was the most difficult one?
Personally i'd guess the skulls, no?

Damn mate, those look fantastic.

Which one of these would you say was the most difficult one?
Personally i'd guess the skulls, no?

Thanks man! Definitely the portrait of the girl. Anything with live models is usually harder to make look good (for me) than a still life or a static model like a skull or a cast. The painting of the Giuliano de Medici cast was hard as well because I didn't have much experience with oil paint when I made it, it took me a long time. But in general oil paint + dealing with color + live models that move, is the most difficult combination. You have to make a drawing dealing with the living model, transfer it to canvas, make sure you don't lose it, do an underpainting (first layer), then overpaint, then do adjustments, wait for it to dry between sessions, etc. The skulls were fun to do, but probably the least difficult out of those.

Back