Pastor and church threatened with fines/jail time, has decided to sue the State of California

"The county is claiming that Grace Community Church, led by pastor John MacArthur, should face $8,000 in fines -- or $1,000 each for eight acts of contempt they're alleging. The county also seeks an additional $1,500 in fines for violations of court orders, bringing the total to $20,000.

"Defendants’ actions this past Sunday likewise constitute four separate violations of the TRO and Court of Appeal Order by each Defendant. Therefore, the Court should sanction each Defendant $1,500 per violation, for a total of $6,000 per Defendant," the request reads. Both MacArthur and his church are named as defendants.

Lodged on Wednesday, the county's contempt request underscored ongoing tension between churches and civil authorities imposing restrictions on worship.

"Grace Church cannot thumb its nose at the court when decisions don’t go its way," the order reads."

But MacArthur's attorney contends that the county is engaging in an "unconstitutional attack" on the church. “The L.A. County Board of Supervisors has decided to continue their unconstitutional attack against Pastor John MacArthur and Grace Community Church," Jenna Ellis, attorney for MacArthur, told Fox News on Wednesday.

"The government attorneys are essentially asking the court to hold the church in contempt for being open for worship last Sunday. Pastor MacArthur is standing firm that church is essential and has no plans to yield to this tyrannical Board, which is clearly defying the Constitution’s mandate to protect religious liberty," she said."

https://www.foxnews.com/faith-values/la-county-contempt-macarthur-grace-church-coronavirus

The Constitution says that we have the right to peaceably assemble and practice our religion. It's in the 1st Amendment. Leftwing marxists don't have much use for the 1st Amendment though

This case is a slam dunk in the old man's favor if we get a judge that follows the Bill of Rights.
But shouldn't certain rights be curtailed to protect the public from covid? I honestly don't know too much about the Constitution but in the UK we have the European Convention on Human Rights which has some absolute rights that can't be curtailed (eg right to life) - does Art 1 in relation to religion considered an absolute right?

Also why can't the church set up a safer way of worship? My local mosque for example has a dude who takes your name for track and trace in case out outbreak, they refuse entry without your own prayer mat and mask, they make you use a bag for your shoes and keep it with you and make you social distance whilst praying. We have a one way system to enter and exit the mosque too. Isn't it easier to do that?

But shouldn't certain rights be curtailed to protect the public from covid?
No, the state of California cannot infringe upon the 1st Amendment rights.

As far as covid, people know the risks by now, and can make their own decisions on the risks they take in life and how they want to live.

No, the state of California cannot infringe upon the 1st Amendment rights.

As far as covid, people know the risks by now, and can make their own decisions on the risks they take in life and how they want to live.
Thank you for the reply. As for people taking risks, surely people should be prevented from catching a highly infectious possibly fatal virus that can spread very quickly? I'm not saying shut the churches cos as I said in my first reply there's other ways around it all but the state does have to act in a paternalistic way to protect the public from harm or else they've failed us

Lmao. Stopped right here. Grow up or tell us whos dime youre here posting on.
No idea what you mean here, just posing the question. Surely you can see by now that actions should be taken to prevent the spread of covid. Not that I'm saying churches need to necessarily close.

but the state does have to act in a paternalistic way to protect the public from harm or else they've failed us
I disagree. The Left keeping everyone at home and with masks on is the over protective mother that doesn't let her kid go outside to learn how to survive. The Left wing movement in our government is maternalism on steriods.

Also, the govt's job is to protect my freedoms in the Constitution. My job is to manage my risks in life.

I disagree. The Left keeping everyone at home and with masks on is the over protective mother that doesn't let her kid go outside to learn how to survive. The Left wing movement in our government is maternalism on steriods.

Also, the govt's job is to protect my freedoms in the Constitution. My job is to manage my risks in life.
Ok I understand your views much better now altho I respectfully disagree with them.

As for blaming the left, I'm not overly keyed into US politics but as the GOP is in power surely the blame in on them, not the left? The Conservative government here has faced a lot of criticism on their mishandling of the pandemic

Ok I understand your views much better now altho I respectfully disagree with them.

As for blaming the left, I'm not overly keyed into US politics but as the GOP is in power surely the blame in on them, not the left? The Conservative government here has faced a lot of criticism on their mishandling of the pandemic
In the USA, we have traditionally valued our freedoms and would rather manage our own risk. That has been changing over time unfortunately.

The GOP has leftists and Marxists within in now. Some in the GOP have been caving.

Not a good reason to disregard the 1st Amendment right to peaceful assembly and freedom of religion.

Protesters were not social distancing as they looted and burned down buildings.
So you're saying two wrongs make a right. The protesters should've worn masks and practiced social distancing. Just as the church goers should.

The church sued California and LA County and they won an $800,000 settlement.

Gavin Newsome lost

the 1st Amendment and the Constitution win

https://www.newsweek.com/church-tha...covid-rules-get-800k-legal-settlement-1624801

"California and Los Angeles County have agreed to pay a church that repeatedly defied Governor Gavin Newsom's public health restrictions amid the COVID-19 pandemic $800,000 in a legal settlement."
Add that to the list of completely avoidable actions by the CA gov that results in bilking the taxpayers.

Our high taxes are the politicians' "get out of jail free" card for their experiments in authoritarianism and corruption. Sad.

Back