Media Patricio Pitbull should try to get to Bantamweight

Ugh I love this whole AJ/Pitbull rivalry but it feels like 145 and 155 are both going to get held up for a long time now. 145 isn't as big a deal because a tournament just concluded but 155 needs to start back up again one way or another. I still like the idea of a 16 man 155lb tournament to either crown a new champion or perhaps for a big prize and a guaranteed title shot against AJ.

The immediate rematch at 155 is going to happen and I'm cool with it. Just need to see what else happens around it. I do think afterwards a move down to 135 is the play for Pitbull though. To become the first guy to hold 3 belts in 3 separate weight classes is a legendary achievement nobody will ever be able to take away from him. It just feels kind of perfect.

Becoming a champ-champ beating the same guy twice is not as impressive but I can see how they can sell that better than anything else.
Rematch and a chance for another belt. I think it sells

I think Patricio's pride would get in the way of vacating the belt. That's basically an admission that, at the very least, he's not confident in his ability to defend the belt. And I also don't think Patricio would lack confidence, I mean he won the belt by beating Chandler, so while it's certainly risky, he probably still believes in himself to do it. It's the only belt he has left right now so it's the next logical step.

I'm sure he wants AJ but I think A. that's not an easy fight for him at any weight, B. AJ should defend the belt at FW at least once before doing the champ-champ bit, and C. top contender right now is Sidney Outlaw. He's no world beater. Pitbull vs. Outlaw is pretty winnable imo.
Cue Outlaw hanging onto Pitbull's back for 5 rounds

Ugh I love this whole AJ/Pitbull rivalry but it feels like 145 and 155 are both going to get held up for a long time now. 145 isn't as big a deal because a tournament just concluded but 155 needs to start back up again one way or another. I still like the idea of a 16 man 155lb tournament to either crown a new champion or perhaps for a big prize and a guaranteed title shot against AJ.

The immediate rematch at 155 is going to happen and I'm cool with it. Just need to see what else happens around it. I do think afterwards a move down to 135 is the play for Pitbull though. To become the first guy to hold 3 belts in 3 separate weight classes is a legendary achievement nobody will ever be able to take away from him. It just feels kind of perfect.
Tournament is the way to go. Let's you get guys like Usman, Alexandr Shabliy, Nick Browne, Alan Omer, Soren Bak, Mandel Nallo, Aviv Gozali in something to build their hype.I would hate another grand prix but at LW with Pitbull since that's another division (FW) held up. Champ Champs suck and never work out.

But vacating LW (or losing to McKee) and then moving down to take on Horiguchi or Pettis for the BW belt is a dope fight. Horiguchi vs. Pitbull is somewhat off a dream fight

Yeah I agree I don’t think he’s done like as a good fighter it’s just I don’t think he’s getting the belt back. FW is a shark tank and with prospects like Gonzales Law and Pico waiting in the wings, Pitbull is prob never getting that belt back.

I'm a big J-Train fan but I don't see him having much success against Patricio. The guy is still clearly the #2 FW in Bellator.

I'm a big J-Train fan but I don't see him having much success against Patricio. The guy is still clearly the #2 FW in Bellator.
Idk man the sport moves fast and if he takes 7-8 months off we're looking at a nearly 35 year old Patricio coming off a KO facing some younger hungry killers. Do you think he would beat Pico in 7-8 months if Pico wins 1 more time and goes to 9-3? I think the BW idea isn't too bad tbh because FW has some straight monster sized guys. Jay Jay and Borics are also huge for the weight class.

Idk man the sport moves fast and if he takes 7-8 months off we're looking at a nearly 35 year old Patricio coming off a KO facing some younger hungry killers. Do you think he would beat Pico in 7-8 months if Pico wins 1 more time and goes to 9-3? I think the BW idea isn't too bad tbh because FW has some straight monster sized guys. Jay Jay and Borics are also huge for the weight class.

I think there's a massive gulf in quality between the guys Pico has been facing and someone like Patricio. You can never rule it out but I would certainly bet on Patricio against any of those guys at decent odds. People are too quick to write people off in MMA. People are talking about Mads Burnell as a potential next contender after a very close win against Sanchez (which I though Sanchez won) and we're not far removed from Patricio absolutely running through Sanchez like a hot knife through butter.

The guy is still elite.

I think there's a massive gulf in quality between the guys Pico has been facing and someone like Patricio. You can never rule it out but I would certainly bet on Patricio against any of those guys at decent odds. People are too quick to write people off in MMA. People are talking about Mads Burnell as a potential next contender after a very close win against Sanchez (which I though Sanchez won) and we're not far removed from Patricio absolutely running through Sanchez like a hot knife through butter.

The guy is still elite.
Mads has zero for AJ and it wasn't a good performance vs Sanchez. He didn't gain any fans and squandered a major opportunity to insert himself into the title picture. Now I know why UFC passed on him. Any how, I'm def not writing Pitbull off I just don't think it's a cake walk for him to stay in the title picture at 145. If he has to fight a top 5 guy to get another shot I don't think it's a guarantee he wins. If I were him I would take the AJ rematch at 155 or go to BW cause 145 is a shark tank to fight another top contender.

Mads has zero for AJ and it wasn't a good performance vs Sanchez. He didn't gain any fans and squandered a major opportunity to insert himself into the title picture. Now I know why UFC passed on him. Any how, I'm def not writing Pitbull off I just don't think it's a cake walk for him to stay in the title picture at 145. If he has to fight a top 5 guy to get another shot I don't think it's a guarantee he wins. If I were him I would take the AJ rematch at 155 or go to BW cause 145 is a shark tank to fight another top contender.

I still don't think the UFC should have passed on Mads btw. Sanchez is just a tough opponent, imo probably top 15 in the world.

But if you look at the FW top 5, I wouldn't have any of them as favourites over Patricio, although obviously he could get caught.

I still don't think the UFC should have passed on Mads btw. Sanchez is just a tough opponent, imo probably top 15 in the world.

But if you look at the FW top 5, I wouldn't have any of them as favourites over Patricio, although obviously he could get caught.
UFC is looking for exciting stand and bang guys and Mads def doesn’t fit that bill so I see why they did. But yes Sanchez is tough he’s not going anywhere at 145. Maybe he could fight loser of Jay Jay - Borics. And I agree Pitbull is still a favorite over anyone else at 145 but he’s only getting older. I’d hate to see him ruin his legacy if he keeps losing. Been a pro since 2004 the miles are adding up.

UFC is looking for exciting stand and bang guys and Mads def doesn’t fit that bill so I see why they did. But yes Sanchez is tough he’s not going anywhere at 145. Maybe he could fight loser of Jay Jay - Borics. And I agree Pitbull is still a favorite over anyone else at 145 but he’s only getting older. I’d hate to see him ruin his legacy if he keeps losing.

There's only ever been a handful of fighters who go out without losing a few fights before calling it a day. It is what it is, he's probably on the best contract of his career and he'll likely want to fight it out.

Maybe its over for him being a champ but he can still KTFO most FWs, IMO. We need to see how he bounces back, a fight vs Weichel makes sense.

How on earth would a fight vs a guy he's already beaten twice make sense?

How on earth would a fight vs a guy he's already beaten twice make sense?
1. Their last fight was 3 years ago
2. Pitbull won via controversial split decision
3. Weichel is coming off a victory
4. Pitbull is coming off a defeat
5. Its a level of opposition for a bounce back fight that will test Pitbull enough to get back his confidence
6. If Pitbull vs Weichel leaves open other potential contenders still making their title runs

1. Their last fight was 3 years ago
2. Pitbull won via controversial split decision
3. Weichel is coming off a victory
4. Pitbull is coming off a defeat
5. Its a level of opposition for a bounce back fight that will test Pitbull enough to get back his confidence
6. If Pitbull vs Weichel leaves open other potential contenders still making their title runs

Pitbull already starched him, it doesn't matter if his second win is controversial or not, he's still 2-0 vs Weichel. No need for a trilogy.

He doesn't need a tune-up fight, he should have no problem beating most of these bums:

bellatorfwlw.jpg

Maybe they should feed him Pico, since Aaron is due for another chin duster.

Pitbull already starched him, it doesn't matter if his second win is controversial or not, he's still 2-0 vs Weichel. No need for a trilogy.

He doesn't need a tune-up fight, he should have no problem beating most of these bums:

View attachment 871849

Maybe they should feed him Pico, since Aaron is due for another chin duster.
Precisely, he is head and shoulders above everyone else. Pitbull beating Pico, Burnell, Borics, or Jay Jay does nothing for the division in terms of development. Let a couple of those guys eliminate each other and build some hype before facing AJ, instead of feeding them to the wolves immediately.

Precisely, he is head and shoulders above everyone else. Pitbull beating Pico, Burnell, Borics, or Jay Jay does nothing for the division in terms of development. Let a couple of those guys eliminate each other and build some hype before facing AJ, instead of feeding them to the wolves immediately.

He could do some work in the LW division, since there's really nothing left for him at FW.

AJ can defend his title against those guys you mentioned before challenging the LW title.

In the meantime, there's some fresh bums at LW for Patricio to dominate. Maybe even a rematch with Benson.

Personally, I think they should keep Pico far away from him.

He could do some work in the LW division, since there's really nothing left for him at FW.

AJ can defend his title against those guys you mentioned before challenging the LW title.

In the meantime, there's some fresh bums at LW for Patricio to dominate. Maybe even a rematch with Benson.

Personally, I think they should keep Pico far away from him.
Pitbull is champ at 155, though. He wouldnt be fighting bums and most of the challengers would present massive difficulties due to the size difference, particularly Primus and Shabliy. The Benson fight is there but Im not sure Benson is ever fighting again and you know he doesnt make for very exciting fights.

I guess Pitbull could defend at LW vs Goiti and he wouldnt have that big of a size disadvantage and that would be a good title defense. In the meantime, AJ can fight Borics/Jay Jay. And I agree, Pico should stay away from Pitbull at all costs.

Pitbull is champ at 155, though. He wouldnt be fighting bums and most of the challengers would present massive difficulties due to the size difference, particularly Primus and Shabliy. The Benson fight is there but Im not sure Benson is ever fighting again and you know he doesnt make for very exciting fights.

I guess Pitbull could defend at LW vs Goiti and he wouldnt have that big of a size disadvantage and that would be a good title defense. In the meantime, AJ can fight Borics/Jay Jay. And I agree, Pico should stay away from Pitbull at all costs.
He wouldn't fight Primus because Primus is coming off a loss, and Shabliy is probably at least one win away from a title fight as well. I'm also not sure how the stupid rankings would factor in. They moved in Nurmagomedov and Mamedov but dropped Shabliy instead of Gozali or Picolotti, basically anyone who makes sense to drop, and have Nurmagomedov over Mamedov even though his win was against the far weaker opponent. But by the "rankings" Shabliy is like 2 fights away. And Henderson is coming off two losses so it'd be weird if he got a title shot.

Goiti beat an unranked 6-0 prospect, I mean right now the fighter who I think still has the strongest claim to the title shot is Outlaw. He may not be a desirable title contender, but he's the one who makes the most sense.

Back