PBC FOX July 31st Coffie vs Rice

I love it when a capable journeyman pulls an upset over a contender ( Coffie was rated #9 by the WBA ). Rice is an interesting guy.
I mean Coffie just stood in front of him and let Rice hit him for 3 rounds without throwing or blocking

Credit to Coffie's chin but if he has some excuse it must be credible because he didnt block anything

I wouldn't mind seeing Zurdo/Andre Dirrell. Or maybe against Jacobs if he is moving up to 175lbs. and not just a one off with Smith.

As to Coffie, I had only seen him fight once and he looked pretty bad in there catching those right hands with his face. Was he of the opinion that he just needed to land that one KO punch and forget his defense?

Just watched the fights. Good showings for Spencer and Vito with all the mess of opponent switching. Coffie looked slow and easy to hit all night.

I’d pick Rice over Washington based on that performance. Good luck to him.

Rice was damn close to upset Yoka for his second professional bout.
Yep, Rice is a big, tough dude with some skills. It'll be interesting to see what he can do if he can stop taking these short notice, late replacement fights & get some full camps in.

o if he can stop taking these short notice, late replacement fights & get some full camps in.
That's part of boxing business. Brands should be developed, opponents who does have short notice are more suitable than opponents with long term notice.

If someone will consider him as investment ( time, effort ) worth, maybe he might get better offers.
If no holy 0 in fight record, chances are lesser ofc.

Rice is an interesting guy. When he's not taking last-minute fights against top prospects & contenders he's a regular sparring partner for heavyweight contenders like Luis Ortiz, Chas. Martin & others. He also occasionally picks up some easy KO wins by going down to Tijuana & belting out no-name Mexican heavies. Maybe now that he's got this big win on his resume he won't have to do that for chump change anymore. If he gets the opportunity to get a full camp in & is matched properly he might surprise us again.

The guy is big, he's strong, has some skills & can punch a bit. Plus he must have a good chin because he's only been stopped twice. That was by a monstrous puncher in Arslanbek Makhmudov who he got into the seventh round with & Demsey McKean who stopped him in the tenth. He went the distance in a close one with Tony Yoka & went the distance with Efe Ajagba. So, he's a tough guy. I'd like to see him matched with a couple of other gatekeepers like Joey Dawejko & Jerry Forrest. Then, should he get past them he'd be ready to step up to face another contender. I think he'd be a great fight for the likes of the Helenius - Kownacki winner or even his old sparring partner Luis Ortiz.

Another interesting thing about Rice is that all six of his losses have come to undefeated fighters. His first loss was a 4 round decision loss to Ireland's Con Sheehan who's 6-0, then he dropped a 6 round nod to Stephan Shaw who's 14-0, the 6 round decision loss to Tony Yoka who's 10-0 came next, then he was stopped in the 7th round by Makhmudov who's 12-0, followed by a 10th round stoppage to McKean who's 19-0, & finally, he dropped a 10 rounder on points to Efe Ajagba who's 15-0. So, he has no losses to journeymen or clubfighters. He's only lost to some of the best prospects & contenders.

Fight averaged 621k viewers, peaked at 696k.
Worst viewership PBC on FOX has had vit it also was a no name telecast running during the Olympics

Back