Pepper spray, OC spray, capsicum spray, mace etc.

Hotora86

war in the ring, never outside
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I searched for a thread on this topic, last one I found was from 2009 so I decided to start a new one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper_spray

I've started carrying Pepper spray last year and I do feel safer having it with me. Luckily I haven't had to really spray anyone but I did use it once to persuade a dog owner to recall his large dog when it ran toward my kid with possible bad intentions (it had no leash or muzzle). I aimed at the dog, not the owner.

I looked into legality (see wiki above) and was surprised to find that my country (Poland) had the most liberal approach to Pepper spray in the world! Sprays are not considered a weapon here and they can be carried by anyone without registration or permission.

The European Union does not regulate Pepper spray, leaving member countries free to regulate it themselves. Pepper sprays are illegal for civilians in: Belgium, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Netherlands, Norway. Pepper spray requires a license in Finland and many other non-EU countries.

In the United Kingdom Pepper spray is illegal under Section 5(1)(b) of the Firearms Act 1968: "A person commits an offence if [...] he has in his possession [...] any weapon of whatever description designed or adapted for the discharge of any noxious liquid, gas or other thing."

In the USA Pepper spray can be legally purchased and carried in all 50 states. Some states regulate the maximum allowed strength of the pepper spray, age restriction, content and use.

In Canada Pepper spray designed to be used against people is considered a prohibited weapon. Any similar canister with the labels reading "dog spray" or "bear spray", while legal to be carried by anyone, is against the law if its use causes "a risk of imminent death or serious bodily harm to another person".

All that being said - what is Your experience with Pepper spray?
  • Is it legal where you live?
  • Do you carry it around?
  • Ever had to use it?
  • Was it effective?
Thanks for your answers, looking forward to expanding my knowledge in this thread.

I’ll share this one story, an older women was doing a circumnavigation on her own, concerned about security and the gun laws being what they are around the world, she found a way to have a measure of safety..She had several fire extinguishers filled up with OC and kept them at various locations on her boat..I thought it was a good idea..

I searched for a thread on this topic, last one I found was from 2009 so I decided to start a new one.

All that being said - what is Your experience with Pepper spray?
  • Is it legal where you live?
  • Do you carry it around?
  • Ever had to use it?
  • Was it effective?
Thanks for your answers, looking forward to expanding my knowledge in this thread.

I used to have a can of Counter Assault Bear Spray in the early 90s. It was tough stuff, I liked it.

Nowadays in Texas you can carry like 4oz or so of mace. Any more than that is prohibited and these days the stuff is a lot weaker than what they used to sell.
Some counties in Texas have funny laws about things like mace, and sticks etc, but you can carry a handgun , (with a license) or a rifle.

Anytime I'm out bicycle training I carry a CO2 BB pistol on the bicycle for straw dogs. Works better than mace.

There's usually a 45ACP in my vehicle.

I’ll share this one story, an older women was doing a circumnavigation on her own, concerned about security and the gun laws being what they are around the world, she found a way to have a measure of safety..She had several fire extinguishers filled up with OC and kept them at various locations on her boat..I thought it was a good idea..

What was her plan for a fire?

I used to have a can of Counter Assault Bear Spray in the early 90s. It was tough stuff, I liked it.

Nowadays in Texas you can carry like 4oz or so of mace. Any more than that is prohibited and these days the stuff is a lot weaker than what they used to sell.
Some counties in Texas have funny laws about things like mace, and sticks etc, but you can carry a handgun , (with a license) or a rifle.

Anytime I'm out bicycle training I carry a CO2 BB pistol on the bicycle for straw dogs. Works better than mace.

There's usually a 45ACP in my vehicle.
Have you ever had to use mace on people or animals?

Have you ever had to use mace on people or animals?

Yes, i used the bear mace a couple times on dogs chasig me while cycling.

It worked quite well.

If i could still get the same ol good stuff, i'd buy another can.

I believe the old counter assault was 10%-20%

Now the Shit's like 2%
https://www.counterassault.com/bear-spray/

WTF, have the bears become pussies where more isn't necessary?

I've been maced twice by accident... with cop stuff too and that shit SUCKS.
Oh fuck. How did that happen? What's the feeling like? How long does it last?

Oh fuck. How did that happen? What's the feeling like? How long does it last?
First one was my dad and I cleaning out the garage when I was like7 or 8 and we found some old cop mace he had and he sprayed it out the garage door to see if it still worked and the shit floated back and hit me.

Second time was as a bouncer a cop went to use it on a giy that was fighting me and it hit me.

It fucking sucked.

Been hit with it while fighting with a suspect. Got completely coated, both arms and my face.

It was effective enough to give me a chance to gain control of the guy. It sucked for me but I was able to keep going.

Was in a store and it affected a ton of other officers who showed to assist as well.

Back