Petchpanomrung

At 63kg I suppose? Any Rise fans who can comment on how good Kento is?

chrome_screenshot_1610991107321.png

Very. But Petch will be the best fighter he's ever faced by far.

Attachments

• chrome_screenshot_1610991107321.png
    chrome_screenshot_1610991107321.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I don’t remember nothing specific about Rise but most likely we should expect instant clinch breaks and point deductions if Petpanomrung even thinks about throwing a hard knee. This should be an important aspect of the fight.

He's extremely talented, just a shame Taiju got cut in his last fight against Naoki or we would have had Taiju vs Kento.

Either way Kento hasn't faced anybody close to Petch's level but i expect this to be close. Let's just hope the ref or judges don't ruin it.

Also in case some of you weren't aware Takeru was in attendance for Tenshin's last fight and Tenshin spoke after he won about wanting the fight to happen. If it happens it will be Rizin that do it.

This is at 65, Kento fought at 61 six months ago but he looks pretty big for the weightclass. He really wants this fight, relinquished his 63kg title recently. He's very talented, we haven't seen him against someone close to Petch's talent or style so hard to predict but I'm very excited.

Last edited:
Petch is my favourite lower weight fighter in Glory but i've followed Kento for a while and i love his style. Not many people know who Kento is outside of Japan but he's a future great if he keeps his focus and keeps improving.

I wonder how much Petch knows about Kento, i hope for his sake he knows Kento has nukes in his hands.

Petch is my favourite lower weight fighter in Glory but i've followed Kento for a while and i love his style. Not many people know who Kento is outside of Japan but he's a future great if he keeps his focus and keeps improving.

I wonder how much Petch knows about Kento, i hope for his sake he knows Kento has nukes in his hands.
How do you think the size difference will play a role?

It's hard to say really, i don't think it will be much of an issue though.

Does anyone know why they don't seem to drill counter punches in Thailand? Seems uncommon even when they're training for kickboxing fights.

This was his last fight and was also against a southpaw. Had no idea who he was until this fight was announced.

Does anyone know why they don't seem to drill counter punches in Thailand? Seems uncommon even when they're training for kickboxing fights.

As you're probably aware of lot of padholders in thailand just go thru the motions especially at the more traditional camps. Counters get worked on during sparring.

Probably the way they have their feet planted. Footwork is very important in counterpunching but Thais prefer to have their feet in a way that allows them to kick, knee and check more effectively. Only thing it takes away from your mobility and your ability to move at your waist. When I do see thais counterpunching its usually after absorbing a punch with their high guard and timing their opponents before they can bring their gloves back rather than countering after a slip or pull.

The only time I ever see Thais doing slip counters on the pads (outside of Kick evasions) is when they are doing straight Boxing padwork on mitts.

This was his last fight and was also against a southpaw. Had no idea who he was until this fight was announced.

He had a draw with Taiga in Rizin a few years ago but has KOd him and most his opponents since

If you ever watch someone like samart payakaroon on the pads he always drills counters with students.

Probably the way they have their feet planted. Footwork is very important in counterpunching but Thais prefer to have their feet in a way that allows them to kick, knee and check more effectively. Only thing it takes away from your mobility and your ability to move at your waist. When I do see thais counterpunching its usually after absorbing a punch with their high guard and timing their opponents before they can bring their gloves back rather than countering after a slip or pull.
It is possible. You don't need to have advanced bob-weave or or advanced footwork, but some slip/block counters is not a problem. I remember a Thai trainer telling me not to slip too much, although I don't remember the exact reason why.

It is possible. You don't need to have advanced bob-weave or or advanced footwork, but some slip/block counters is not a problem. I remember a Thai trainer telling me not to slip too much, although I don't remember the exact reason why.
Well when you slip to the outside in boxing you're relatively safe. Against a kicker they can follow up with a kick from the same side or just throw a kick instead of a punch and your leaning right into a roundhouse. Bad stuff, I got kicked in the head doing just that before

Well when you slip to the outside in boxing you're relatively safe. Against a kicker they can follow up with a kick from the same side or just throw a kick instead of a punch and your leaning right into a roundhouse. Bad stuff, I got kicked in the head doing just that before
Some Thais slip quite often in actual fights though, even if it's not drilled in pad/mitt work.

Back