Philly she'll, thoughts opinions?

The Philly shell can be great for boxing but ut is quite vulnerable to kicks.

I think it's vulnerable to getting punched right in the kidney or spine too. It works well in formal boxing rules but maybe not in the streets.

It does make for deflections and quick defense in close quarters though.

You will accept the Emperor's grace shortly
fools I helped build his empire over10000 years ago
I was there when he walls fell and we waged an endless room to room combat across a citadel the size of continent.
you think bloods have nothing for me!
I bear the sword of your champion and I desecrate the Aquila with indifference.
what you thought was yours will be taken back by me...
your screams will make the warp boil in ecstasy as we vivesect you and flag the bodies of your serfs.
I pray for he combat for I need a new cloak. the last one made from a Royal family on a hive world was burnt that last time thin bloods tried to take back "their" heirlooms

I bear the sword of your champion and I desecrate the Aquila with indifference.
tenor.gif

It’s overused considering how few people are actually qualified to teach it.

An active and accurate jab, slick footwork, waist movement, are still the biggest keys to effective fighting and sound defense IMO.

The philly shell as it was practiced by Floyd and James Toney were only perfected by them well into their 30s. And both of them grew up with the style.

But now you’ve got tones of young guys with no pedigree in the style just adopting it like they’re prime Floyd or the James Toney that beat Vasily Jirov when he was 3-4 weight classes above his prime and having a potbelly. No. Just no.

I definitely also think that the over reliance on padwork based training in the US nowadays does encourage lazy and flatfooted boxing. You don’t see many of these types coming out of say, Mexico or Europe

Yep. This, the peek a boo, all that stuff, they're not better (or worse), they're just different. Whatever "system" your coach was inculcated by the guy before him (btw a very good green flag that your coach is the real deal is that he learned for years from some old guy) is definitely what you should learn.

Young guys will be young guys, it's 100% guaranteed they will do some dumb stuff, but as long as they practice what their coach has them do, then do dumb stuff in addition to that and not in replacement of, that's good enough in my eyes.

no.

I definitely also think that the over reliance on padwork based training in the US nowadays does encourage lazy and flatfooted boxing. You don’t see many of these types coming out of say, Mexico or Europe

Yes. I have always thought that the way that you make the philly shell look bad is not with pad work but with foot work. The philly shell invites counter straights but that gets nullified if someone is right up on you.

Yes. I have always thought that the way that you make the philly shell look bad is not with pad work but with foot work. The philly shell invites counter straights but that gets nullified if someone is right up on you.

Watch Roy Jones Jr/James Toney to see this in practice. It’s also the reason that Mayweather avoided Pacquiao for 4-5 years until Marquez and Father Time had slowed him down. Neither Floyd nor Toney looked like killers from the philly shell besides when they were fighting guys who were as slow as molasses (Hatton, Jirov, Holyfield)

Watch Roy Jones Jr/James Toney to see this in practice. It’s also the reason that Mayweather avoided Pacquiao for 4-5 years until Marquez and Father Time had slowed him down. Neither Floyd nor Toney looked like killers from the philly shell besides when they were fighting guys who were as slow as molasses (Hatton, Jirov, Holyfield)
well I don't agree with this. Floyd typically fought from a more traditional guard when he was up against southies especially fast southies. I think a young PAC would have seen Floyd working everything he had to eek out a decision.
that being said there is a reason why Marquez is PAC Crip tonight. when PAC was looking for those kill shots he would dart in and over extend himself. Floyd could have timed that well.. but if only PAC wasn't deathly afraid of needles we would have Sen what would have happened

Mayweather looked like a killer plenty at super featherweight, and Toney at middleweight.

If you do test it out for yourself, remember that your sparring partner is immediately going to try body shots and uppercuts, because they think that you're more open to uppercuts when you've got an arm blocking your chin... than you are in basic guard where you don't have your chin defended at all.

You can clamp down on the uppercut with your bottom arm and lock them into a clinch, turn them etc. and vs an active body puncher, be sure to teep and front kick to keep them at range and be ready to block body shots in a more traditional manner, don't spend all your time with your face in the cross guard, you just want to flash into it for moments, its a group of positions more than it is an actual guard

On the uppercut. Buakaw uses a lot of elbow blocks in front of his face ("diamond guard" or similar stuff) but rarely gets hit flush with an uppercut.

I think it boils down to distance. It is great for blocking long punches like crosses and long hooks / step in hooks. You usually don't have to worry about the uppercut from long range. I think that's the trick.

Back