Pillow-like Gloves?

My new shevlins are very soft and comfortable. I'd stack them up against any of the fairtex or windy that i have ever worn. I payed 90 for a modified pair of sparring gloves, extra padding on side of wrist and padded wrist wrap.

I've heard Fairtex and Windy (or maybe just Windy) aren't that soft.

UPDATE

I ended up going with MuayThaiStuff.com

The price + shipping was pretty good ($64 combined) and shipping was fast (under 2 weeks). Thanks for the input everyone, the padding is exactly what I was looking for in a sparring glove. Also, an added plus was the snug hand compartment. It was unexpected because my last experience with a Thai Glove was 16 oz. Windy's and the hand compartment was HUGE!

Congrats on your purchase!
I'm glad to hear that you like them...

After I broke the nose of my best friend/sparring partner and got some crazy bruises and headaches myself, we are looking for the best padded, softest boxing gloves in the world. 10cm thick pillows.
Best case would be gloves that Mike Tyson can punch you full force and you feel nothing but a gentle breeze.
Nothing else matters: Even if its the ugliest, 30oz, radioactive glove made out of animal feces with zero wrist support.
All we want is to punch each other in face as hard as possible without destroying each other.

Just out of curiosity, why do you guys think does no company focus on maximum partner protection? Even professionals rarely do hard sparring and if they do they often use these annoying head protectors. 20oz gloves are often just wider with not much thicker padding. A glove with ridiculous padding (like 10 cm thick) would be a game changer for everyone. Why does nobody care about that? Imagine you could hit your sparring partners full force every day without getting injured! You'd become a monster with regular gloves on.

After I broke the nose of my best friend/sparring partner and got some crazy bruises and headaches myself, we are looking for the best padded, softest boxing gloves in the world. 10cm thick pillows.
Best case would be gloves that Mike Tyson can punch you full force and you feel nothing but a gentle breeze.
Nothing else matters: Even if its the ugliest, 30oz, radioactive glove made out of animal feces with zero wrist support.
All we want is to punch each other in face as hard as possible without destroying each other.

Just out of curiosity, why do you guys think does no company focus on maximum partner protection? Even professionals rarely do hard sparring and if they do they often use these annoying head protectors. 20oz gloves are often just wider with not much thicker padding. A glove with ridiculous padding (like 10 cm thick) would be a game changer for everyone. Why does nobody care about that? Imagine you could hit your sparring partners full force every day without getting injured! You'd become a monster with regular gloves on.
topboxer old school gloves have very thick (and very soft) padding, guy calls them the safest sparring gloves out there in this review:

Glove companies dont make those kind of gloves because there is not point in hitting your friend/sparring partner full force.

Only bad thing can happen and you dont learn anything combat wise doing so. Better focus on technique and doing some dutch style drill instead of ruining your brain.

Just my two cents.

Glove companies dont make those kind of gloves because there is not point in hitting your friend/sparring partner full force.

Only bad thing can happen and you dont learn anything combat wise doing so. Better focus on technique and doing some dutch style drill instead of ruining your brain.

Just my two cents.

So you never do hard sparring? That can't be right

So you never do hard sparring? That can't be right

Never full blown sparring

Light and medium/hard only. Imo light sparring while working on techniques is the way to go. Full blown sparring can only lead to injuries.

I am no expert tho. I only preach what I think works best for me.

Last edited:
topboxer old school gloves have very thick (and very soft) padding, guy calls them the safest sparring gloves out there in this review:

I own a pair of Old Schools, I can vouch for this. They are by far the softest gloves I've used. Way softer than Winnings even.

Because of my work, I am very concrened of brain damage that you can get on a continual sparring (Even if each sparring session is considered light). So I guess the best way to prevent those sharp movements of the neck/head that cause the brain shaking is very soft gloves, because headgear doesn't really prevent the concussions only cuts and bruises. But soft on the edge of the gloves so that my opponent won't get a damage, not in terms of my knuckles and my wrists.
Someone tried the "Contender Fight Sports Super Soft Sparring Gloves"?
Is there a better and softer gloves? What about the Sabas SuperSoft?

Did you eventually find safe gloves? Which gloves did you buy?

I own a pair of Old Schools, I can vouch for this. They are by far the softest gloves I've used. Way softer than Winnings even.
Are they so soft that with light and considerate sparring, you can hit with them without making the opponent head move sharply and take a risk of small concussions?

FWIW - the more protective the glove, the greater the head trauma.
Same situation as headgear.

I guess theoretically you get to a point where the glove weight takes something off the punch and the padding really is soft & thick enough to absorb a large enough percentage of the force as to prevent significant trauma - but it would have to be something unusually soft, at like 24 oz, with really soft, thin leather. Old School might be a good candidate if they don't bottom out, as a lot of really soft gloves do.

my softest gloves are sabas supersoft (i have proseries, fairtex, rival bag gloves, boxeo). I haven't tried winning or C17 v2.

Are they so soft that with light and considerate sparring, you can hit with them without making the opponent head move sharply and take a risk of small concussions?
They're very safe gloves anyway for both sparring partners, relative to other gloves. It's obviously not like the risk from boxing is ever mitigated to 0.

FWIW - the more protective the glove, the greater the head trauma.
Same situation as headgear.

I guess theoretically you get to a point where the glove weight takes something off the punch and the padding really is soft & thick enough to absorb a large enough percentage of the force as to prevent significant trauma - but it would have to be something unusually soft, at like 24 oz, with really soft, thin leather. Old School might be a good candidate if they don't bottom out, as a lot of really soft gloves do.
Yea, you're definetly right bro. The misconception feeling that you are safe, can make you get alot of punches, with the feeling that you're ok, even though your brain is at danger.
That's why I want to spar very light, even just tapping. So the soft gloves and the headgear just reduce the impact.
Do you have experience with the Old School gloves? I am curious if they are softer than the Sabas Supersot or the Contender super soft sparring gloves.

my softest gloves are sabas supersoft (i have proseries, fairtex, rival bag gloves, boxeo). I haven't tried winning or C17 v2.
Thanks for your opinion. As of your experience, with very light sparring, like tapping, can I reduce the danger of brain damage with the Supersoft gloves?

They're very safe gloves anyway for both sparring partners, relative to other gloves. It's obviously not like the risk from boxing is ever mitigated to 0.
I read that these gloves enable you to open the hand, so tapping with open hands is even safer. Do you know if these gloves are softer than the Sabas supersoft or the Contender super soft?

Do you have experience with the Old School gloves? I am curious if they are softer than the Sabas Supersot or the Contender super soft sparring gloves.
Sorry, no. Only Shevlins (which look a bit similar) and the Sabas SS. The Shevlins were way softer, but bottomed out (you can see pics of mine here: https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...a-equipment-v2.2728717/page-89#post-159708752 ). I thought they were super protective, but as soon as I sat on a jab a little bit, my friend said he could feel my knuckles.

Thanks for your opinion. As of your experience, with very light sparring, like tapping, can I reduce the danger of brain damage with the Supersoft gloves?
Actual light sparring (pretending like your tagging your kids for example), you probably don't need to worry about it at all. Even with medium-light tapping (the type of tapping you'd expect in mitt work if your face was too exposed), you could get away with gloves as common as Twins 16 or 18oz gloves and not get headaches. One thing that might help, if you guys trust each other, is to have a gentleman's agreement to only "get back" to the body. In other words, the head is a target, but only super light, any payback shots are agreed to be body shots.

I read that these gloves enable you to open the hand, so tapping with open hands is even safer. Do you know if these gloves are softer than the Sabas supersoft or the Contender super soft?
All the videos I've seen agree with that assessment - opening the hand & being softer than the others. The others are still shaped foam (and thus denser), just very thick. "Bottoming out" (ie stiffer hits compressing soft padding such that the knuckles poke through) would be my main concern and I can't speak on it for the Old School gloves because I haven't tried them. sorry.

it's softer, and thicker

of course so far these are my favorite gloves for sparring. won't spar without them.

Sorry, no. Only Shevlins (which look a bit similar) and the Sabas SS. The Shevlins were way softer, but bottomed out (you can see pics of mine here: https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...a-equipment-v2.2728717/page-89#post-159708752 ). I thought they were super protective, but as soon as I sat on a jab a little bit, my friend said he could feel my knuckles.

Actual light sparring (pretending like your tagging your kids for example), you probably don't need to worry about it at all. Even with medium-light tapping (the type of tapping you'd expect in mitt work if your face was too exposed), you could get away with gloves as common as Twins 16 or 18oz gloves and not get headaches. One thing that might help, if you guys trust each other, is to have a gentleman's agreement to only "get back" to the body. In other words, the head is a target, but only super light, any payback shots are agreed to be body shots.

All the videos I've seen agree with that assessment - opening the hand & being softer than the others. The others are still shaped foam (and thus denser), just very thick. "Bottoming out" (ie stiffer hits compressing soft padding such that the knuckles poke through) would be my main concern and I can't speak on it for the Old School gloves because I haven't tried them. sorry.
Oh I get it. Gloves like the the supersoft Sabas or Contender, although they are soft, they are denser than the Oldschool, but on the other hand, the OldSchool is softer but isn't dense so accidently a hard punch can be more harmful.

it's softer, and thicker
Have you noticed on the OldSchool what ericPorkChop described - that a little bit strong punch makes your opponent feel the knuckles?
One more question - Do you suggest to use them only for sparring? Hard work like heavy bag would destroy them?

of course so far these are my favorite gloves for sparring. won't spar without them.
Doing Hard work with them would destroy them eventually? Do you suggest to buy another pair for heavybag?

Thank you all for your suggestions, It is very helpfull to me! :)
At this opportunity I guess I should ask about a headgear too - Does all this "gel technology" worth something? Someone have tried the "Ringside Gel Sparring Boxing Headgear" or "TITLE GEL World Full Face Training Headgear"?
I have understood that the "Sabas Proseries 2.0 Headgear" is similar to the Winnig headgear, so it is also a good option I guess...

Doing Hard work with them would destroy them eventually? Do you suggest to buy another pair for heavybag?
For heavybag, i use sabas proseries, and Rival RB11.
I really like Rival RB11 for heavybag, very comfortable inner lining, thick palm so you can make a good fist.
Very hard synthetic leather, it lasts very long time.
You land perfect punch on top knuckles.
They protect your wrist.
The downside is they stink so bad due to the usage of cotton, it dries very long time unless you dry it using a hair dryer.

Back