Place to get cheap weight plates

I picked up a Rogue rackable curl bar from the boneyard today. Probably didn't need a curl bar and I definitely didn't need to spend $200 on one. Still feels kinda cool to save around $80-$100 on it though.

I picked up a Rogue rackable curl bar from the boneyard today. Probably didn't need a curl bar and I definitely didn't need to spend $200 on one. Still feels kinda cool to save around $80-$100 on it though.

Damn I have been searching for one of those!

Might just get the rep rackable curl bar instead.

Damn I have been searching for one of those!

Might just get the rep rackable curl bar instead.
I check the boneyard daily while bored at work. I made the decision to buy one and it took a couple of weeks for one to pop back up on there.

What is this boneyard?

What is this boneyard?
It's a section on the Rogue website where they sell blemished bars and other equipment for a discount. I have had mixed success with it. I got an Ohio Bar that I wasn't really happy with, but I also bought an Ohio Power Bar that I couldn't even tell what the blemish on it was.

It's a section on the Rogue website where they sell blemished bars and other equipment for a discount. I have had mixed success with it. I got an Ohio Bar that I wasn't really happy with, but I also bought an Ohio Power Bar that I couldn't even tell what the blemish on it was.
Well, it is a great concept anyways. Love the idea.

Damn that $695 echo bike is tempting but I just can't justify it.

Damn that $695 echo bike is tempting but I just can't justify it.
Finance it through the site. Hit the Paypal Credit, pay that sucker off in 6 months with no interest. What's that $125 a month? That's bringing lunch to work 2-3xs a week.

Finance it through the site. Hit the Paypal Credit, pay that sucker off in 6 months with no interest. What's that $125 a month? That's bringing lunch to work 2-3xs a week.
You right you right.

You right you right.
Don't listen to me. Skipping food for toys is bad financial advice. The thrill is trying to beat the woman home, unboxing, building it, burning box and pretending it's always been there.

On topic. Plates are finally coming back in stock in numerous places. Some of the prices are starting to look reasonable. The big names are sitting on those jacked up prices but the no names are dropping to $60-90 a bumper.

Don't listen to me. Skipping food for toys is bad financial advice. The thrill is trying to beat the woman home, unboxing, building it, burning box and pretending it's always been there.

On topic. Plates are finally coming back in stock in numerous places. Some of the prices are starting to look reasonable. The big names are sitting on those jacked up prices but the no names are dropping to $60-90 a bumper.
Mutual bank account brether. Can't even go to Chick fil a on the down low.

Yesterday I saw a fairly recent video on making an axle barbell and loadable dumbbell set out of a 10ft steel pipe for $50. I wasn't looking for a barbell, but I found a local shop that cut me two dumbbell pipes for $12. After another $8 I have inside collars for them. Only problem is finding either cheap or DIY collars. At this point it looks like my cheapest option is Rogue axle collars that are on sale for $32 per pair. That kinda fucks things up, but I guess it's better than buying loadable dumbbells at $80-$100 each.

Yesterday I saw a fairly recent video on making an axle barbell and loadable dumbbell set out of a 10ft steel pipe for $50. I wasn't looking for a barbell, but I found a local shop that cut me two dumbbell pipes for $12. After another $8 I have inside collars for them. Only problem is finding either cheap or DIY collars. At this point it looks like my cheapest option is Rogue axle collars that are on sale for $32 per pair. That kinda fucks things up, but I guess it's better than buying loadable dumbbells at $80-$100 each.
1.9" or 2" diameter?
I made mine out of 2" and cheap spring clamps work great.

These will work on 1.9 if you want to be frugal.
upload_2021-7-13_8-46-50.png

I made some adjustable dbs with pipe fittings from Home Depot. I believe the diameter was 1.9” instead of 2” like a regular barbell. All I had to do was wrap the loadable sleeve parts with a couple layers of duct tape. This thickened the pipe the tiny bit that was necessary and provided grip, now I use my regular barbell collars with them and the plates fit fine. Have loaded 100+ lbs with no issues.

Also: Not sure if the pipe you got is threaded at the ends. If I’m doing any sort of overhead work, or something that puts a lot of pressure on the collars, I screw on these end caps:

00725782.jpg

Last edited:
Axle barbell was just on sale for $70 or so.That fat bastard is more comfortable in hands than reg barbell with bent rows and over head press. Curls felt good too.

Went on walmart site and ordered a bunch of standard size plates for the plate load machines. They all have 1 inch slides. Freed up 100 lbs of weights had on machines. Standard plates are half the price.

Fringe having sale on milspec (30% off) and Savage plates. The sale prices are still too high. More weighting on them.

For anyone in Canada, Bells of Steel is having a sale right now with free pickup in Toronto.

Back