Plant Brotein > Animal Brotein

Watch the Beef Boy Betas pop in here and tell us vegans what's up!

I wholeheartedly disagree with her on tofu not being healthy because it's processed. If you pop over to YouTube and look at what the process of making tofu looks like, it's a pretty harmless process and the fiber is preserved. The beans are soaked overnight, blended with water, brought to a boil and then left to cool, add lemon juice and mix, curdling happens, strain, shape and put in the fridge. The only thing lost in this process is whatever water soluble vitamins there were, although it's arguable that those same vitamins are denatured in the cooking process anyways.

No thanks, I'll eat my steak and potatoes well having a glass of milk.

This overwhelmingly selfish mindset will be the ruin of us all.

“But I want what I WANT!! Screw science and what it says about health!!”

You think I don’t love steak? I do. Love my digestive system and living past 65 more.

Last edited:
Bro

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/...-than-animal-protein?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Unfortunately, study after study shows that meat as a protein source just isn't that healthy. It's far better to get that necessary protein from plants. Generally speaking, diets heavy on plant matter tend to be healthier. One study found that those eating the most fruit-and-veg-dense diets had a 31 percent lower risk of dying from cardiovascular disease and a roughly 20 percent lower risk of overall mortality than those eating animal-focused diets.

Generally, research shows that less animal meat—most especially red meat—is better than more, in terms of long term health. You don’t have to love tofu, either (it’s not the best plant-based protein anyway), as long as you strive to eat more of your protein from the ground and less from animals.

Animal meat is known for its many nutrients. If you eat a variety of animal meats (light and dark, not just beef, as well as various organs), you can take in all the amino acids you need to manufacture your own bodily proteins plus vitamins like B12, niacin, thiamine, B5, B6, B7, and vitamins A and K.

But here's the thing: If you swap all that animal protein for an equally diverse diet of plant-based proteins like nuts, seeds, and beans, you are no worse off. That's because these foods are also packed full of a similar spectrum of nutrients. The biggest difference is vitamin B12, which most plants cannot produce on their own. You can get B12 from edible seaweed and in fortified cereals, though the easiest way is through supplementation or by eating animal products.

Given their equal vitamin profile, Andrea Giancoli, a registered dietitian in California says plant-based proteins are far healthier than their meat counterparts. That’s because, pound-for-pound, they pack more nutrients into fewer calories. They also have one thing that animal proteins completely lack: fiber. (Except for things like tofu, which is processed, Giancoli notes.) Let’s not forget the fiber. Fiber aids in digestion, promotes a healthy gut microbiome, and is strongly associated with lower cardiovascular disease risk.

If we’re taking an exclusively long-range, zoomed-out, big picture view it’s fairly undeniable that getting your protein from plants would be healthier overall.
No.

There are plenty of studies that show that a plant-based diet is better than the normal shitty diet that many people in the west eat.

I have yet to see anything that shows that a plant-based diet is better than a plant-based diet PLUS good quality animal protein. And in fact there is plenty to show that adding quality red meat and oily fish to your diet is very beneficial.

And especially for those who train hard it's very difficult to get the level of quality protein required without eating meat/fish/eggs. To say that lentils/pulses etc have the same amino acid profile as steak/venison/salmon etc is BS.

That's because the normal western diet is fast food 5 times a week. Not because it involves meat.

Correct. What these studies don't take into consideration is healthy user bias. Who are vegans? They tend to be more health conscious overall so that means they aren't eating chips and soda, they aren't smoking/drinking as much as everyone else, or doing a bunch of drugs, and they typically don't engage in backbreaking manual labor as a means to support themselves. They're part of a higher socioeconomic class which typically means they have better education/health literacy, better access to adequate healthcare, and live a life that's usually far more comfortable than those who struggle to put food on the table and pay rent. If you can afford veganism or any clean diet for that matter you're going to live longer.

If we look at Mormons compared to Seventh Day Adventists you can see it right before your own eyes. Both have an average life expectancy of around 84 for men and 86 for women. Both value physical activity, a sense of community, a close relationship with their faith, and they both stay away from drugs/booze including caffeine. Households from each religion typically make more money than the average American family as well. One difference is that Mormons don't shun meat the way Seventh Day Adventists do. So why are Mormons living so long? Which combo of those factors is driving that longevity? Is that really the only variable that's different? I don't know but if we're talking about diet then yeah, it's important.

Just my opinion based on the literature I've read: processed sugar and polyunsaturated vegetable oils(soy, cotton, canola, sunflower, safflower etc), increased emotional stress, and lack of physical activity are really what's driving our decline in health....no doubt pollution is in there too. These are all modern inventions and our physiology is still extremely primitive and not set up to cope with it.

Perfect response.

A dietician eh TS? Well, I'm sold.
Correct. What these studies don't take into consideration is healthy user bias. Who are vegans? They tend to be more health conscious overall so that means they aren't eating chips and soda, they aren't smoking/drinking as much as everyone else, or doing a bunch of drugs, and they typically don't engage in backbreaking manual labor as a means to support themselves. They're part of a higher socioeconomic class which typically means they have better education/health literacy, better access to adequate healthcare, and live a life that's usually far more comfortable than those who struggle to put food on the table and pay rent. If you can afford veganism or any clean diet for that matter you're going to live longer.

If we look at Mormons compared to Seventh Day Adventists you can see it right before your own eyes. Both have an average life expectancy of around 84 for men and 86 for women. Both value physical activity, a sense of community, a close relationship with their faith, and they both stay away from drugs/booze including caffeine. Households from each religion typically make more money than the average American family as well. One difference is that Mormons don't shun meat the way Seventh Day Adventists do. So why are Mormons living so long? Which combo of those factors is driving that longevity? Is that really the only variable that's different? I don't know but if we're talking about diet then yeah, it's important.

Just my opinion based on the literature I've read: processed sugar and polyunsaturated vegetable oils(soy, cotton, canola, sunflower, safflower etc), increased emotional stress, and lack of physical activity are really what's driving our decline in health....no doubt pollution is in there too. These are all modern inventions and our physiology is still extremely primitive and not set up to cope with it.
I can tell who didn't read it

I can tell who didn't read it

I did read it. The question is, did you? From the first study quoted in that article:

"These associations were confined to participants with at least 1 unhealthy lifestyle factor based on smoking, heavy alcohol intake, overweight or obesity, and physical inactivity, but not evident among those without any of these risk factors."

So, unhealthy people are unhealthy, and healthy people are healthy. In other news, water is wet.

All the best diets have a common theme and it's not the removal of meat from the situation, it's a large variety of fresh clean produce and very little processed food, we definitely don't eat enough fibre in the West.........

This nonsense about red meat is another one........grilling and frying red meat until you overly brown/burn is the recipe for bowel cancer not red meat itself....... portion control and variety in meat sources is essential for a healthy diet.....

We need to eat less meat and increase the quality of the meat and consume more vegetables, fruit and pulses/legumes..........

I did read it. The question is, did you? From the first study quoted in that article:

"These associations were confined to participants with at least 1 unhealthy lifestyle factor based on smoking, heavy alcohol intake, overweight or obesity, and physical inactivity, but not evident among those without any of these risk factors."

So, unhealthy people are unhealthy, and healthy people are healthy. In other news, water is wet.
Nah cuz your comment was in regard to the dietician and not the info nor opinion expressed in the article

All the best diets have a common theme and it's not the removal of meat from the situation, it's a large variety of fresh clean produce and very little processed food, we definitely don't eat enough fibre in the West.........

This nonsense about red meat is another one........grilling and frying red meat until you overly brown/burn is the recipe for bowel cancer not red meat itself....... portion control and variety in meat sources is essential for a healthy diet.....

We need to eat less meat and increase the quality of the meat and consume more vegetables, fruit and pulses/legumes..........
The first & 3rd paragraphs are what the article expresses outside of findings about brotein sources

The article has nothing to do with pushing veganism, the strongest arguments for eating less/no animal products aren't even named and have nothing to do with what's presented

Nah cuz your comment was in regard to the dietician and not the info nor opinion expressed in the article

My comment was in regards to your bullshit click bait thread title. There is no evidence to suggest that, in a normal healthy person, plant protein is any better for you than animal protein. Zero.

Before posting a thread you should read and understand the articles you're linking in said
thread.

My comment was in regards to your bullshit click bait thread title. There is no evidence to suggest that, in a normal healthy person, plant protein is any better for you than animal protein. Zero.

Before posting a thread you should read and understand the articles you're linking in said
thread.
There is, the article goes over that and the evidence that suggests it.

You seem very upset, maybe too much red meat

No.

There are plenty of studies that show that a plant-based diet is better than the normal shitty diet that many people in the west eat.

I have yet to see anything that shows that a plant-based diet is better than a plant-based diet PLUS good quality animal protein. And in fact there is plenty to show that adding quality red meat and oily fish to your diet is very beneficial.

And especially for those who train hard it's very difficult to get the level of quality protein required without eating meat/fish/eggs. To say that lentils/pulses etc have the same amino acid profile as steak/venison/salmon etc is BS.
Definitely meat and dairy are more calorie dense. The article basically says don't eat too much

Article doesn't touch on your last paragraph (that's all true though) and does take into account your first

Back