Plant Brotein > Animal Brotein

Definitely meat and dairy are more calorie dense. The article basically says don't eat too much
The problem with that is lean meat and fish provides far more protien/lb than any veggie option. You would have to eat a huge amount of pulses to get 200g of protein a day which would involve far more overall calories than sticking to chicken breast/egg whites/white fish/tuna etc.

I really don't think meats the problem here. Other than the simple cause and effect of people eating too much in general causing obesity (calories in, calories out) the much bigger problem is the amount of sugar people consume in the US.

Yeah meat really isn't the problem.

It's carbohydrate imbalance.

Total sugar in the diet needs to be dramatically lower than our national average.

Total fiber in the diet needs to be dramatically higher than the national average.

We need to encourage physical activity throughout adulthood as well.

Go ahead and have that ribeye, but have it with a spinach or arugala salad, and a cup of legumes (which could be black beans with jalepeno and onion, a bit of bacon, and a fresh pico de gallo).

And we should be able to take back the term "plant based".

If you're an omnivore and 70% of your calories are coming from plant sources, you're plant based.

The problem with that is lean meat and fish provides far more protien/lb than any veggie option. You would have to eat a huge amount of pulses to get 200g of protein a day which would involve far more overall calories than sticking to chicken breast/egg whites/white fish/tuna etc.
Not necessarily. The problem with plant foods is that they're not as calorie dense as animal sources. I think you'd need to eat more volume but not necessarily more calories, though to be fair I haven't mathed this, just going by experience. And, as highlighted in the article, most plant brotein sources also contains fiber so it's kind of a total package.

The article doesn't advocate for not eating any meat just that many need to substantially reduce the amount eaten.

Not necessarily. The problem with plant foods is that they're not as calorie dense as animal sources. I think you'd need to eat more volume but not necessarily more calories, though to be fair I haven't mathed this, just going by experience. And, as highlighted in the article, most plant brotein sources also contains fiber so it's kind of a total package.

The article doesn't advocate for not eating any meat just that many need to substantially reduce the amount eaten.
Again, I have yet to see any convincing evidence that "substantially reducing" meat intake is the healthier option long term; only that reducing processed/fatty/cheap (especially red) meat is.
More importantly for anyone who trains or lifts, the general level of protein recommended by most "mainstream" sources is woefully low.

As for macro nutrient breakdown;

100g of protein from a lean steak would be roughly 550-600 calories and 20g of fat.
100g of protein from chicken breast would be roughly 500-550 calories and 10-12g of fat.
100g of protein from tinned tuna (water) would be 450-500 calories and only 4-5g of fat.
100g of protein from egg whites would be roughly 450-500 calories with 1-2g of fat.

All of these are essentially carb free or as good as and beat any veggie/vegan protein source hands down. And that's before you consider the amino acid profile and wider nutrient/mineral values.

Depending on the source (I'm not veggie so aren't bothered to look too deeply);

100g protein from cooked lentils would be 1000-1100 calories with around 200g of carbs and 5g fat.
100g of protein from tofu (raw) would be around 1000 calories with around 10g of carbs and 40-50g of fat.
100g of protein from chickpeas is at least 1500 calories with around 150g of carbs and 35-40g of fat.

To eat a healthy diet containing 200g+ protein within a sensible calorie limit (2000-3500/day) while vegan is almost impossible imo (unless you have a lot of supplements which defeats the point.

Bro

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/...-than-animal-protein?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Unfortunately, study after study shows that meat as a protein source just isn't that healthy. It's far better to get that necessary protein from plants. Generally speaking, diets heavy on plant matter tend to be healthier. One study found that those eating the most fruit-and-veg-dense diets had a 31 percent lower risk of dying from cardiovascular disease and a roughly 20 percent lower risk of overall mortality than those eating animal-focused diets.

Generally, research shows that less animal meat—most especially red meat—is better than more, in terms of long term health. You don’t have to love tofu, either (it’s not the best plant-based protein anyway), as long as you strive to eat more of your protein from the ground and less from animals.

Animal meat is known for its many nutrients. If you eat a variety of animal meats (light and dark, not just beef, as well as various organs), you can take in all the amino acids you need to manufacture your own bodily proteins plus vitamins like B12, niacin, thiamine, B5, B6, B7, and vitamins A and K.

But here's the thing: If you swap all that animal protein for an equally diverse diet of plant-based proteins like nuts, seeds, and beans, you are no worse off. That's because these foods are also packed full of a similar spectrum of nutrients. The biggest difference is vitamin B12, which most plants cannot produce on their own. You can get B12 from edible seaweed and in fortified cereals, though the easiest way is through supplementation or by eating animal products.

Given their equal vitamin profile, Andrea Giancoli, a registered dietitian in California says plant-based proteins are far healthier than their meat counterparts. That’s because, pound-for-pound, they pack more nutrients into fewer calories. They also have one thing that animal proteins completely lack: fiber. (Except for things like tofu, which is processed, Giancoli notes.) Let’s not forget the fiber. Fiber aids in digestion, promotes a healthy gut microbiome, and is strongly associated with lower cardiovascular disease risk.

If we’re taking an exclusively long-range, zoomed-out, big picture view it’s fairly undeniable that getting your protein from plants would be healthier overall.

Completely disagree. The amino acid profile of animal protein is much more complete than any plant protein. Also, cholesterol intake must be optimal for testosterone production in males to be at its peak. This means eating red meat and whole eggs. Also, consider the creatine content of skeletal animal meat.

If cholesterol is an issue, be sure to take fish oil or eat sardines.

If you're looking to promote health then poisoning yourself a little all the time with plants can give benefits through hormesis.

If you're looking for performance then you absolutely cannot beat a diet that contains meat.

If you're looking to maintain or create fat free mass meat is even more important.

I would move to a more plant based diet after I am done with competitive sport, but I have IBS and meat is a major nutrition group that doesn't trigger anything, so I am loathe to do without it.

The environmental cost of meat is considerable.

If you're looking to promote health then poisoning yourself a little all the time with plants can give benefits through hormesis.

If you're looking for performance then you absolutely cannot beat a diet that contains meat.

If you're looking to maintain or create fat free mass meat is even more important.

I would move to a more plant based diet after I am done with competitive sport, but I have IBS and meat is a major nutrition group that doesn't trigger anything, so I am loathe to do without it.

The environmental cost of meat is considerable.

I don't know if it's been stated before but regenerative agriculture is supposedly carbon neutral or even carbon negative. Who knew if you let the animals roam the land like they were intended to that it would have a positive effect on the environment? You can sequester carbon and have a nutritious food source at the same time. Forcing acres upon acres of land to grow cucumbers for generations on end seems way more perverse than eating animals that are grazing on the land.

I don't know if it's been stated before but regenerative agriculture is supposedly carbon neutral or even carbon negative. Who knew if you let the animals roam the land like they were intended to that it would have a positive effect on the environment? You can sequester carbon and have a nutritious food source at the same time. Forcing acres upon acres of land to grow cucumbers for generations on end seems way more perverse than eating animals that are grazing on the land.
Have you heard about Joel Salatin? I'm trying to farm and am basing my setup on his teaching of rotational farming ie. letting the animals graze one area before moving them to a new pasture while letting the previous one regenerate before bringing them back.

Edit: this video is long but better. Justin Rhodes is a good source of info too. These guys are the future of farming.

Joe Rogan talks too much.

There are tons of videos of him. Here's one on jre:

Last edited:

Yeah, I'm for it and get my beef from such a farm. It's not how food is produced broadly speaking currently. I'm a huge fan!

Have you heard about Joel Salatin? I'm trying to farm and am basing my setup on his teaching of rotational farming ie. letting the animals graze one area before moving them to a new pasture while letting the previous one regenerate before bringing them back.

Edit: this video is long but better. Justin Rhodes is a good source of info too. These guys are the future of farming.

Joe Rogan talks too much.

There are tons of videos of him. Here's one on jre:

Joel Salatin is a boss. We're gonna need to do this on such a large scale to improve our soil quality even for growing fruits/veggies. The US has had such good topsoil from thousands of generations of bison working the land but we're messing it up at a really rapid pace. From some of the literature I've seen if we keep fucking up the soil with monocrop agriculture we've got about 60-100(don't quote I'm going off memory, I could be totally wrong) years before those plots of land become barren and unable to grow crops at all. I keep thinking about Interstellar and how they had to find a new planet because their crops kept failing. We literally can't keep farming without herds of ruminant animals doing their thing.

Joel Salatin is a boss. We're gonna need to do this on such a large scale to improve our soil quality even for growing fruits/veggies. The US has had such good topsoil from thousands of generations of bison working the land but we're messing it up at a really rapid pace. From some of the literature I've seen if we keep fucking up the soil with monocrop agriculture we've got about 60-100(don't quote I'm going off memory, I could be totally wrong) years before those plots of land become barren and unable to grow crops at all. I keep thinking about Interstellar and how they had to find a new planet because their crops kept failing. We literally can't keep farming without herds of ruminant animals doing their thing.
This guy isn't as well known as Joel but he should be. Absolutely incredible what he has done with 1/2 acre and just chickens. I'm also trying to imitate him.

Look at that beautiful soil! If you want to eat plants, that's what you want them growing out of.

Iirc parts of thr aztec empire and middle east were destroyed from monocrop farming. Been a while since i checked on this, you ever come across it?

Iirc parts of thr aztec empire and middle east were destroyed from monocrop farming. Been a while since i checked on this, you ever come across it?

That's news to me, but that doesn't surprise me. Got some time today, so I'll dig into it.

This overwhelmingly selfish mindset will be the ruin of us all.

“But I want what I WANT!! Screw science and what it says about health!!”

You think I don’t love steak? I do. Love my digestive system and living past 65 more.
I bet 10 years ago there was a guy saying the exactly same thing about fat vs carbs and how we should listen to the "experts" that for 50 years told us a high carb, low fat, low protein diet was the key to health.

There is no such thing as "the science" when it comes to something like individual diet choices. What works for a north European man who works in a manual job may be completely wrong for a south Asian woman who sits behind a desk all day.

I know through years of trial and error (backed by bloods and genetic testing) that a high fat high protein diet suits me.

Find what works for you.

I bet 10 years ago there was a guy saying the exactly same thing about fat vs carbs and how we should listen to the "experts" that for 50 years told us a high carb, low fat, low protein diet was the key to health.

There is no such thing as "the science" when it comes to something like individual diet choices. What works for a north European man who works in a manual job may be completely wrong for a south Asian woman who sits behind a desk all day.

I know through years of trial and error (backed by bloods and genetic testing) that a high fat high protein diet suits me.

Find what works for you.
High fat and protein suits a lot of people. The low fat craze was backed by fake science from the makers of high fructose corn syrup.

This horrible food model that's still recommended in the US was designed to make us sick so that drug companies can have us as patients for life and treat our symptoms with their bullshit vaccines and drugs.

Hub_FoodPyramid_800x740.jpg

That's how doctors tried to treat my arthritis when I couldn't walk. Expensive immunosuppressants and antibiotics. Now, following aip diet, I could run 10 miles with zero pain right now if I wanted to and I just worked all day long putting up fencing and taking care of my chickens, pigs, and sheep.

I expect that meat prices will go up in the future and gmo wheat, corn, and soy will be pushed onto the general population even harder as the health benefits of a vegan diet continue to be touted. As people get sick from effects of the diet, the vaccine, and the long term effects of masks and social distancing detraining their immune systems, it will then be blamed on people who haven't been vaccinated yet, paving the way for mandatory vaccines and vaccine passports.

Y'all can disagree with me if you want, I don't give a shit, but mark my words, the following 2 things will happen:
1. Meat prices, especially high quality organic, grass fed options, will go way up.
2. Vaccines and vaccine passports will become mandatory if you want to participate in society. The passport will eventually come in the form of a chip in your right hand or forehead that will be used to pay for everything instead of cash and cards.

I'm thankful to God that I escaped southern California when I did. Now I have male and female of 3 different types of animals and am in a race against time before the economy crashes, and it will crash, to fence as much of the pasture on my property as possible and build hugelkultur mounds and raised beds for our fruit and veggies. I can hear the clock ticking. I should still be fencing at this moment but I enjoy my online time when I need to relax.

When the current alzheimers patient who had US office stolen for him finally loses his last marble, this cunt is taking the helm.

There is no way you'll convince the bros, TS. They've tied their sense of masculinity to paying for animals to be killed and eating them.

Back