Plausible to train to get a Diaz Brothers like chin?

TheHighFly

Fly high above all expectations
@White
Reaction score
Hey everyone! This is my first post, so hope this is a decent first thread.
So first things first and lets get this out of the way:
Obviously genetic factors play a huge role in their chins and ability to recover, not denying that's a huge variable in this; however:
I want to note that as we all know training the neck to absorb shock better can help in taking a shot, but what many people overlook in my personal opinion, is the fact that these two brothers have been doing Triathalons for quite a long time, now we know they don't get anything impressive in the "elite level" of triathletes considering they're MMA fighters and that's not what they're training to be elite in.
My point is however, we know how much cardio affects recovery time when you're rattled and on wobbly legs. Prime example being Bisping getting knocked out by Anderson Silva, recovered between a round from being fully unconscious and came back to win the fight with his excellent cardio.
DiazTriathlon.jpg

Nick Diaz's rankings in triathalon:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ass-triathlete-is-not-even-in-the-same-galaxy
Next I'd like to point out this study of healthy brain proteins and endurance training(this isn't even recording triathalon levels of endurance none the less ultra-marathon levels of endurance)
https://www.physiology.org/doi/full/10.1152/ajpregu.00525.2009
This(to my understanding) study when looking at it, is comparing mice/humans increasing their endurance training in comparison to none, but how much of a BDNF difference do you think triathalon level none the less ultra-marathon level endurance runners are exposed to? Do you think the BDNF protein could play a significant role in the recovery none the less "chin" of a fighter, considering it's making a healthier brain, and could potentially aid in taking a clean hit?

Last thing which is slightly off topic but has to do with the Diaz bros. Do you think their marijuana smoking habits(typically CBD) but THC has some benefits as well, with their recovery? Or even possibly helping their cardio?(I know that sounds counter-intuitive.)

I'd like to hear what you guys think! Thanks for reading my first post on the forums, looking forward to other threads and conversing with the community, as I've been a lurker for quite a few years now.

they have mean mug neanderthal jaws. that's genetics. you can't be pretty and take a punch. nature's law.

I'm disappointed no one has advised you to get knocked out a lot.

I think endurance makes you tougher. Do I think a daily half marathon would've saved Ben Askren? No.

I'm disappointed no one has advised you to get knocked out a lot.

I think endurance makes you tougher. Do I think a daily half marathon would've saved Ben Askren? No.
I definitely don't think it would have saved ben askren lol, but if you look at people with ridiculous cardio IE:
Tony Ferguson, Frankie Edgar, Diaz Bros, Max Holloway, etc. They recover so much faster when they get knocked down, is this due to them being able to have a much higher V02 Max and being able to send more oxygen to the brain faster or? I'm just wondering what the pattern is there, it can't be ALL genetics(impo)

Its like 90% genetics, 3% neck strength and 2% willingness to not get knocked out 5% luck

Some people are made to be punching bags for other people. Some people are made to be the puncher.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! This is my first post, so hope this is a decent first thread.
So first things first and lets get this out of the way:
Obviously genetic factors play a huge role in their chins and ability to recover, not denying that's a huge variable in this; however:
I want to note that as we all know training the neck to absorb shock better can help in taking a shot, but what many people overlook in my personal opinion, is the fact that these two brothers have been doing Triathalons for quite a long time, now we know they don't get anything impressive in the "elite level" of triathletes considering they're MMA fighters and that's not what they're training to be elite in.
My point is however, we know how much cardio affects recovery time when you're rattled and on wobbly legs. Prime example being Bisping getting knocked out by Anderson Silva, recovered between a round from being fully unconscious and came back to win the fight with his excellent cardio.
DiazTriathlon.jpg

Nick Diaz's rankings in triathalon:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ass-triathlete-is-not-even-in-the-same-galaxy
Next I'd like to point out this study of healthy brain proteins and endurance training(this isn't even recording triathalon levels of endurance none the less ultra-marathon levels of endurance)
https://www.physiology.org/doi/full/10.1152/ajpregu.00525.2009
This(to my understanding) study when looking at it, is comparing mice/humans increasing their endurance training in comparison to none, but how much of a BDNF difference do you think triathalon level none the less ultra-marathon level endurance runners are exposed to? Do you think the BDNF protein could play a significant role in the recovery none the less "chin" of a fighter, considering it's making a healthier brain, and could potentially aid in taking a clean hit?

Last thing which is slightly off topic but has to do with the Diaz bros. Do you think their marijuana smoking habits(typically CBD) but THC has some benefits as well, with their recovery? Or even possibly helping their cardio?(I know that sounds counter-intuitive.)

I'd like to hear what you guys think! Thanks for reading my first post on the forums, looking forward to other threads and conversing with the community, as I've been a lurker for quite a few years now.

Daily chin ups + toking will get you there

I definitely don't think it would have saved ben askren lol, but if you look at people with ridiculous cardio IE:
Tony Ferguson, Frankie Edgar, Diaz Bros, Max Holloway, etc. They recover so much faster when they get knocked down, is this due to them being able to have a much higher V02 Max and being able to send more oxygen to the brain faster or? I'm just wondering what the pattern is there, it can't be ALL genetics(impo)
It really looks like there is a pattern there.
I would argue that it's more about the recovery than the chin itself for the above guys.
Tony, Frankie and the Diaz bros get dropped a lot, they aren't the type that eat shots and appear to not feel it like Mark Hunt.

It really looks like there is a pattern there.
I would argue that it's more about the recovery than the chin itself for the above guys.
Tony, Frankie and the Diaz bros get dropped a lot, they aren't the type that eat shots and appear to not feel it like Mark Hunt.
Mark hunt is 100% genetics in the fact he's somoan and those mofos have THICK and DENSE bones, absorb much more impact; Yea, what I meant with the whole recovery thing though, what I linked to the original thread(healthy brain proteins from long endurance) do you think the high V02 and endurance, leads to more of these brain proteins, which could help recovery in itself? There's definitely a pattern here and I'm just trying to crack it.

If you are spending any energy to find out how to take a hit to the head better, this is not the sport for you.

If you are spending any energy to find out how to take a hit to the head better, this is not the sport for you.
If you aren't looking to find any edge over an opponent, than I could say the same thing to you, you're obviously going to get hit, you're acting like my plan is to GET hit, if I can take a hit or recover from a hit like Frankie/Tony instead of being KO'd cold, then why wouldn't I want that? You're acting like that's not a good quality to have :p

I think neck strength is the only proven way to reduce the risk of concussions- https://www.researchgate.net/public...ing_Risk_for_Concussion_in_High_School_Sports

producing more BDNF can't hurt though. I think you should have anti-inflammatory foods (or weed) post sparring too, to prevent amyloid plaques.

Looked into it a while back, I think NSI-189, lions mane mushroom and salmon roe can help protect the brain too.

Oh and exogenous ketones help with recovery after tbi https://blackbeltwhitehat.com/mma-articles/other/nzt-48/

Last edited:
I think neck strength is the only proven way to reduce the risk of concussions- https://www.researchgate.net/public...ing_Risk_for_Concussion_in_High_School_Sports

producing more BDNF can't hurt though. I think you should have anti-inflammatory foods (or weed) post sparring too, to prevent amyloid plaques.

Looked into it a while back, I think NSI-189, lions mane mushroom and salmon roe can help protect the brain too.

Oh and exogenous ketones help with recovery after tbi https://blackbeltwhitehat.com/mma-articles/other/nzt-48/
There seems to be a correlation between neck strength and concussion risk, but I wouldn't necessarily say neck strengthening is proven to reduce risk or severity. There's a lot of confounding factors. The few studies examining neck strengthening interventions did unfortunately not find meaningful results, but the subjects only had a small improvement in neck strenght, which could be the reason.

One thing is having a strong neck, another is being able to have the right muscle activation timing and sequencing, as well as the feed-forward to be able to brace when it's most needed. That might be something that has to be trained independently of strength, as is the case with knee valgus and glute medius strength, or other strength-to-biomechanics transfers.

There's some good trials coming up in a few years that might cast some more light on the subject. Either way there's many reasons to, gradually and safely, build up your neck. General cervical health and pain reduction being on of them, which is also a risk factor for concussions.

In regards to lions mane, ketones and even CBD there's no hard evidence or guidelines (yet). Even when examining TBIs, which is a wide array of various different pathologies that may, or may not, share pathophysiology. Post-concussion syndrome (PCS), which would be a subsection under mTBI (concussions) is really what you would refer to as an umbrella term. PCS symptomatology can stem from many different underlying issues, and not always the same from person to person, which is one reason why treatment is so tricky.

Much more to be learned for sure, but if you're finding ways that help you, that's the most important thing.

Last edited:
I don't think there's much you can do, a knockout is your brain taking the fight out of your hands and saving you further damage.

Take it from someone with a fair few concussions, some good amateur wins and too much sparring that the glory of those days passes and what you're left with is the damage. I got off very light, never KO'd etc but I do have some floaters in my left eye and who knows what else.

If you don't have a chin, don't do it. If you can take it and are good, enjoy the ride but know you're spending parts of your future self regardless.

Back