Please roast my padwork

I agree with you that your kicks are looking better than your punches right now.

I'd try and work on power punches on the heavybag as that will likely be a big factor in your first fight, I doubt either of you will be picking your shots experiencing that adrenaline rush for the first time. Sounds like you are sparring a lot, presumably not that hard, it wouldn't hurt prioritising the bag over sparring in my opinion.

I'd also say it looks to me like you are a bit low on aggression for a pad session which might be a concern in a fight. To be fair I think you would have looked better if you were given more time between punches.

Thank you, I have been told before to be more aggressive. I still have a bit of a mental block though. This probably sounds stupid, but I absolutely love the "game" part of fighting, but I still feel bad hitting people hard. I don't really want to hurt anyone, I kind of see it as a side effect of the game rather than the point of it.

he probably wants you to learn to react quickly without thinking. but if every time out training is just endless combos with no context then I would be worried.

No worries, I get a good bit of 1 on 1 instruction with him and he breaks things down really well. I'm just bad haha, but that will change!

My old coach lived at petchyindee camp for 1 year and used to fight for them, he is a high level nakmuay. From what I was told, its not really a beginner gym/camp. I am sure they will take beginners etc. and surely you will learn, but I dont know how beginner friendly they are......I cannot speak on it much as I have never been there but its something to take into consideration when choosing a gym, will they cater to someone of your skill level, will they invest in training/teaching/you? or just burn you out on the pads and take your money? You see that a lot, its why I feel that "training in thailand" can sometimes be over rated. you see clips of guys that are horrible, with no correction from the coaches. Anyways something you may want to take into consideration

I have never been to sitjaopho, I would like to train there though. They also seem to be foreigner and beginner friendly. Their camp seems to be more designed around teaching and learning rather than fighting, not that they dont have fighters, but their fighters are their core team, not random dudes showing up for a month. I cannot recall exactly, so take it with a grain of salt, but my buddy just went to sitmonchai for 1 month and fought for them, if I recall correctly, he was told at sitjaopho, he would have to stay for 3 months to get a fight. anyways point being they seem much more geared towards instructing/teaching...my 2 cents.

Thank you for the warning, I have read about that before and I do fear it a bit. I don't want some gym to get one over on me, but my thinking is that I will just be straight forward with my goals when I talk to the coach(es) and if they are not correcting (which I know I need) then I will leave and search for a better place.

Sitjaopho was actually my first choice before I decided on staying in Bangkok haha. My main reason for deciding not to go was that my Thai is pretty awful and I have heard that very few Thais speak English well outside of the cities. I've read the coaches there speak English well, but I worry about how I would do anything outside of the gym without being able to communicate with people effectively. I've also never left the country before, so I could just be approaching the idea with too much anxiousness.

real quick -

sit down, rotate and extend on your punches more.
There's some good drills I can recommend if you like for that.

I think you should consider fighting a down the road a bit more. Maybe a year?
i was thinking the same time frame, with a good caoch and 5 days a week training.

I would really appreciate some drills for my punches! I have been trying hard to extend and rotate more, but I always find myself bunched up for some reason. My original goal was to fight before the end of the year, but this post has been a bit of wake up call and I have reconsidered a lot; I think fighting a year from now would probably be much safer for my brain haha. I'm only 21, so I have lots of time to get better and accomplish my long term goals for fighting :D

No worries, I get a good bit of 1 on 1 instruction with him and he breaks things down really well. I'm just bad haha, but that will change!

I don't think being good or bad plays much of a role in amateur combat sports. The talent pool is so small, you´re not likely to run into an athletic freak or a super skilled natural fighter. if you apply yourself and develop good basics you can do pretty well. in a way, it's rather easy - just show up to the gym and do what you're told.

i was thinking the same time frame, with a good caoch and 5 days a week training.

Half a year to a year usually around here, people make wayyy too big of a deal when talking ammy fights

Guy i know literally won his first thaiboxing match with nothing but boxing lol

I don't think being good or bad plays much of a role in amateur combat sports. The talent pool is so small, you´re not likely to run into an athletic freak or a super skilled natural fighter. if you apply yourself and develop good basics you can do pretty well. in a way, it's rather easy - just show up to the gym and do what you're told.
Depends on where he's located, if he's in a hotbed like Cali or a place where pros is banned, yet ammy is sanctioned, there's going to be good talent; If he's in rural Iowa, probably not so much.

I've seen guys in the ammy scene go all out though, and to them, they have no aspirations to go pro, so ammy is their version of being pro. All out, as in hopped up on roids, doing big weight cuts, etc. One guy at the TBA MTC tournament (big one in the states, almost like a rite of passage for north merican MT) I saw brought in an IV to rehydrate (that was funny), and since most orgs don't do much for drug testing, its basically fair game, as ridiculous as that sounds.

Depends on where he's located, if he's in a hotbed like Cali or a place where pros is banned, yet ammy is sanctioned, there's going to be good talent; If he's in rural Iowa, probably not so much.

I've seen guys in the ammy scene go all out though, and to them, they have no aspirations to go pro, so ammy is their version of being pro. All out, as in hopped up on roids, doing big weight cuts, etc. One guy at the TBA MTC tournament (big one in the states, almost like a rite of passage for north merican MT) I saw brought in an IV to rehydrate (that was funny), and since most orgs don't do much for drug testing, its basically fair game, as ridiculous as that sounds.

I'm located in Richmond, VA. Most people in my area usually go to DC, Maryland or North Carolina for amateur fights and tournaments, so I would say the talent level is fairly low here compared to California; my coach is a professional fighter and he usually leaves town for sparring and such when he is preparing for a fight.

One of my long term goals is to fight professionally, so I will have to leave my hometown in order to find the proper training at some point. Luckily I am single, young and only have a friend or two, so moving around the country is no problem.

My biggest concern is taking a lot of shots to the head in amateur fighting, but I will need the fight experience before I can try to do something bigger ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In ammy you also might recieve KO or TKO with body blows/ kicks.
It is widely assumed, that ammy bouts are soft, they cannot beat too hard, are with 1 year of training or just a bit more.

Yes, they aren't such experienced than professionals, but some are more hard nuts than some professionals out of prime and beat not easier to bear.

In Finland you easily might get opponent for KB bout guy with 0-0-0 KB record and it might nothing matter, that his knockdown karate pussy ammy record is 20-0-0 with 8 KOs....
Definitely he is far better than average professional in Finland who will be agree step in for 1000 and take 3000 for win.
This isn't money after taxes, Finnish prices and VAT.
For 1000 EUR ammy pussy cannot decently eat for month if he fights.

Cos high taxes, high VAT and small market there isn't easy to bring in pro scene enough aspiring athletes cos initially they are supported by parents, relatives, half workload paid job while are conted as professionals, because, DAMN, guy afforded to charge for step in/ win.
Now with internet and better media than in 90 ies - 200x ies is a bit easier. That's it.

Hello, basically the title. At the end of my last training session, my coach asked if I wanted to get some footage, so here it is. I hope to be able to get a smoker before the end of the year, so any insight is appreciated and I will work to correct my mistakes.

Watching this physically hurt because my punches and footwork (among other things) are all over the place, but it has pushed me harder because I do not want to keep looking like this. Thank you all!

That chin is way up. How long have you been training?

I would really appreciate some drills for my punches! I have been trying hard to extend and rotate more, but I always find myself bunched up for some reason. My original goal was to fight before the end of the year, but this post has been a bit of wake up call and I have reconsidered a lot; I think fighting a year from now would probably be much safer for my brain haha. I'm only 21, so I have lots of time to get better and accomplish my long term goals for fighting :D
Heres a drill that teaches proper rotation for punching and defensive movement in other words it teaches how to make defense and offense simultaneous
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/tile-exercise-for-boxing.2255705/

That chin is way up. How long have you been training?

About two years, however I didn't really start taking things as seriously as I should until I switched to a new gym relatively recently.

In ammy you also might recieve KO or TKO with body blows/ kicks.
It is widely assumed, that ammy bouts are soft, they cannot beat too hard, are with 1 year of training or just a bit more.

Yes, they aren't such experienced than professionals, but some are more hard nuts than some professionals out of prime and beat not easier to bear.

In Finland you easily might get opponent for KB bout guy with 0-0-0 KB record and it might nothing matter, that his knockdown karate pussy ammy record is 20-0-0 with 8 KOs....
Definitely he is far better than average professional in Finland who will be agree step in for 1000 and take 3000 for win.
This isn't money after taxes, Finnish prices and VAT.
For 1000 EUR ammy pussy cannot decently eat for month if he fights.

Cos high taxes, high VAT and small market there isn't easy to bring in pro scene enough aspiring athletes cos initially they are supported by parents, relatives, half workload paid job while are conted as professionals, because, DAMN, guy afforded to charge for step in/ win.
Now with internet and better media than in 90 ies - 200x ies is a bit easier. That's it.

hey bru you finnish?

and yeah i agree, small country so in here you fight who you get

i fought a guy who was other gyms boxing trainer in my first mma fight lol

Half a year to a year usually around here, people make wayyy too big of a deal when talking ammy fights

Guy i know literally won his first thaiboxing match with nothing but boxing lol

I dunno man, whether its amateur or pro, you have just as much of a chance of getting injured or ko'd than the next guy. You see a lot of lower experienced guys get KO's cause they both tend to go in wild swining for the fences, and someone usually ends up getting clipped. It all really depends on the person, how quick they learn etc before taking a fight, you need to be at a certain skill level before fighting, how long it takes a person to achieve that skill level is different for everyone, the poster right now, judging off this clip does not look ready for hard sparring yet alone a fight IMO......I took my first fight after 1 month of training, shouldnt have done it, wouldnt recommend it, but I did it lol. The gym I was training at didnt care, just chucked me in, sure go for it type attitude. You see a lot of guys that are not ready to fight, fighting. I was one of them, I gassed out super quick, got side kicked in the face, it was not a good experience. It messed me up mentally, I trained for years before I took another fight because my first fight experience was so negative, and when guys loose badly or get ko'd in their first fight.......it chases a lot of guys away from the sport. They fight once never to return......it didnt chase me away from the sport, but it chased me away from the ring for years until I felt confident enough to take another fight.

Thank you, I have been told before to be more aggressive. I still have a bit of a mental block though. This probably sounds stupid, but I absolutely love the "game" part of fighting, but I still feel bad hitting people hard. I don't really want to hurt anyone, I kind of see it as a side effect of the game rather than the point of it.

Thank you for the warning, I have read about that before and I do fear it a bit. I don't want some gym to get one over on me, but my thinking is that I will just be straight forward with my goals when I talk to the coach(es) and if they are not correcting (which I know I need) then I will leave and search for a better place.

Sitjaopho was actually my first choice before I decided on staying in Bangkok haha. My main reason for deciding not to go was that my Thai is pretty awful and I have heard that very few Thais speak English well outside of the cities. I've read the coaches there speak English well, but I worry about how I would do anything outside of the gym without being able to communicate with people effectively. I've also never left the country before, so I could just be approaching the idea with too much anxiousness.

We can only give so much tips and advice online, I really dont have much to say because at this point, I feel that any sort of teaching and coaching with you would need to be face to face. i suggest asking your coach if he thinks your crowding your cross or not and lets see what he says

We can only give so much tips and advice online, I really dont have much to say because at this point, I feel that any sort of teaching and coaching with you would need to be face to face. i suggest asking your coach if he thinks your crowding your cross or not and lets see what he says

This will probably sound like a dumb question, but when you say "crowding your cross" are you referring to punching without my arm extended? If so, he has brought this up to me and we have worked on it together quite a bit. I only switched to his gym recently, so I'm still falling into the bad habits I have created over the past two years at my previous gym. Right now I am working on drilling the hell out of the basics and trying to keep a flow and balance when I practice combinations.

Thank you for being honest with me about my coach and my skill. Believe it or not, I was one of the best at my previous gym and I felt something was wrong with that! Between watching that video a thousand times and the comments of you guys, it has made me think more realistically about what I need to do to improve.

hey bru you finnish?

and yeah i agree, small country so in here you fight who you get

i fought a guy who was other gyms boxing trainer in my first mma fight lol
fight on teh streetz bro, they're unoffical so it doesn't go on your record

I'm 500-0-1

This will probably sound like a dumb question, but when you say "crowding your cross" are you referring to punching without my arm extended? If so, he has brought this up to me and we have worked on it together quite a bit. I only switched to his gym recently, so I'm still falling into the bad habits I have created over the past two years at my previous gym. Right now I am working on drilling the hell out of the basics and trying to keep a flow and balance when I practice combinations.

Thank you for being honest with me about my coach and my skill. Believe it or not, I was one of the best at my previous gym and I felt something was wrong with that! Between watching that video a thousand times and the comments of you guys, it has made me think more realistically about what I need to do to improve.

Yeah crowding your punch, meaning not extending enough, just overall man, everything needs work. You got the basic ideas and concepts down....look at it like this, anyone can throw a ball, or football, or shoot a basket ball, or swing a golf club, or throw a punch.......but to do it with proper form and technique....aka doing it correctly takes practice.....and it also requires a coach to point out and correct the mistakes you are making, and show you how to fix them........this is where coaching becomes very individualized......as one guy might not be rotating enough on his kick, where the next guy could be over rotating, its then up to the coach to figure out a way to fix that guys specific problem.........just using that as an example or analogy.

If your coach knows your crowding your right cross, how did he suggest you fix it?

Another example, if someone is not using their hip in their kick or punches, you cant just tell them to use their hip!

if i may ask, where are you located? who is your coach? what are his credentials?

The combination of 4 uppercuts followed by a cross to the body, a left leg kick to the rear leg, followed by a rear elbow is quite unusual to say the least.

if i was coaching you i doubt we would have made it past the jab. This tends to chase people away, who are you to tell me how to jab, I can do the combo in that vid! its why i mentioned so many coaches just burn people out on the pads. its what people want, and despite doing everything wrong, they can do it hard and a long fancy extended combination, complete with spinning elbows, flying knees and all. I suppose some may think they can even fight because they can do these combos on the pads, but in reality they know next to nothing about the sport. Im not trying to rip on you, its just a problem in the industry as a whole. Its the equivalent of swinging a golf club incorrectly, but doing it hard, so thinking you can do it right and win a game of golf. all while the coach doesnt care or bother to correct, just lets you do it wrong, tells you good job, and takes your money. also I am not trying to accuse your coach of anything. But if I had to base it solely off this video alone, I might suggest looking elsewhere.

Last edited:
Yeah crowding your punch, meaning not extending enough, just overall man, everything needs work. You got the basic ideas and concepts down....look at it like this, anyone can throw a ball, or football, or shoot a basket ball, or swing a golf club, or throw a punch.......but to do it with proper form and technique....aka doing it correctly takes practice.....and it also requires a coach to point out and correct the mistakes you are making, and show you how to fix them........this is where coaching becomes very individualized......as one guy might not be rotating enough on his kick, where the next guy could be over rotating, its then up to the coach to figure out a way to fix that guys specific problem.........just using that as an example or analogy.

If your coach knows your crowding your right cross, how did he suggest you fix it?

Another example, if someone is not using their hip in their kick or punches, you cant just tell them to use their hip!

if i may ask, where are you located? who is your coach? what are his credentials?

The combination of 4 uppercuts followed by a cross to the body, a left leg kick to the rear leg, followed by a rear elbow is quite unusual to say the least.

if i was coaching you i doubt we would have made it past the jab. This tends to chase people away, who are you to tell me how to jab, I can do the combo in that vid! its why i mentioned so many coaches just burn people out on the pads. its what people want, and despite doing everything wrong, they can do it hard and a long fancy extended combination, complete with spinning elbows, flying knees and all. I suppose some may think they can even fight because they can do these combos on the pads, but in reality they know next to nothing about the sport. Im not trying to rip on you, its just a problem in the industry as a whole. Its the equivalent of swinging a golf club incorrectly, but doing it hard, so thinking you can do it right and win a game of golf. all while the coach doesnt care or bother to correct, just lets you do it wrong, tells you good job, and takes your money. also I am not trying to accuse your coach of anything. But if I had to base it solely off this video alone, I might suggest looking elsewhere.

At first he said "punch long" and then he showed me that I am leaning heavily on my front leg when I punch, so by the time my fist connects, it's only halfway down the pipe, so to speak. He had me go on the bag (and then afterwards some pad rounds) where I was just doing a 1-2 and making sure I could see my elbow at the end of the punch and he was critiquing my footwork and form from there (i.e., stepping too deep, not rotating my shoulder, not rotating my hips enough, etc). He also mentioned that I am doing arm punches and he broke down the lower body movements of the 1-2 and how I should be moving my feet and holding my weight.

I'm located in Richmond, VA. My coach is Francois Ambang. He's fought professionally a bit (18W - 7L), here is one of his fights while he was competing in Glory.

I feel like some of the combos he has me do are pretty weird too, however those weird combos only seem to come out towards the end of a session where he usually tries to push me harder and get me to react quickly to things changing. The majority of the combos we do are usually about four strikes or less.

At first he said "punch long" and then he showed me that I am leaning heavily on my front leg when I punch, so by the time my fist connects, it's only halfway down the pipe, so to speak. He had me go on the bag (and then afterwards some pad rounds) where I was just doing a 1-2 and making sure I could see my elbow at the end of the punch and he was critiquing my footwork and form from there (i.e., stepping too deep, not rotating my shoulder, not rotating my hips enough, etc). He also mentioned that I am doing arm punches and he broke down the lower body movements of the 1-2 and how I should be moving my feet and holding my weight.

I'm located in Richmond, VA. My coach is Francois Ambang. He's fought professionally a bit (18W - 7L), here is one of his fights while he was competing in Glory.

I feel like some of the combos he has me do are pretty weird too, however those weird combos only seem to come out towards the end of a session where he usually tries to push me harder and get me to react quickly to things changing. The majority of the combos we do are usually about four strikes or less.

ok cool, thats exactly why I asked, so he has credentials which is good, another thing to take into consideration, no matter how great a coach, is if this great coach is willing to invest anytime into you. the best coach in the world that isnt interested in working with you, isnt as good as a decent coach that is willing to give you 100%..... it sounds like he is willing to work with you if he is willing to hold pads for you without charging extra for privates. I had a gym I was fighting for and the coach only held pads for me twice before a title fight...point being good coaches can be hard to find.....also its tough to make a fair analysis of a coach, the gym, etc off just a short clip, its why I asked. So all that being said, it seems like he is willing to work with you which is a great thing. Your definitely crowding your punches, your dropping one hand when punching with the other, your chin is up, and your not swinging your arm when you kick. As far as not crowding your punch.....people tend to lean into their punches when trying to punch hard, this is why your weight is heavy on the front foot.....rather than leaning in, do not lean in at all.....you need to pivot/twist your body more. so if your punch cannot reach the target, rather than leaning in twist more.......you may want to "over twist" and youll probably find that when you "over twist" in reality you are twisting enough. so yeah man.......at the end of the day, extend your punch and twist/pivot more, I know easier said than done.

Regarding the punching. There is a huge difference between mt/kb punching and boxing punching, but I do advice on taking boxing for awhile. You will learn to punch I promise.

I was doing dutch kb and was leaning a lot forward and doing short punches. I guess it is the road of the beginner. However after some time doing boxing and meeting a proper coach I learned how to do properly the jab and the cross. Still having a lot of troubles with hooks and uppercuts though.

Now I plan on training dutch KB again and will see how the boxing training will transfer to it. I am afraid though I havent been in a fight gym for almost an year now though.

Back