Law Police arrest nba player jaxson hayes. Justified use of force?

nhbbear

Duty Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Recently, lapd released video footage of jaxson Hayes being arrested. officers were called for a domestic call where the camel says that Hayes is being nasty and aggressive. Hayes says she was being aggressive and throwing things. Officers obviously need to speak to her alone, but Hayes won’t let them enter without going with them. You absolutely can not let him go with you because you don’t want his presence Influencing her and what she tells you, plus it is Intimidating.

Officers attempt to go in to check on the female half of this and jaxson won’t let them.
Hayes tries to enter the house and deputies attempt to detain him and he shoves one against the wall and the fight is on. Hayes is 6’11” and quite a lot to handle. He is drive stunned with a taser multiple times and at one point, and officer has a knee on his neck-the oh my gosh killer death move. Hayes says he can’t breathe and another officer tells the officer to remove his knee. He does so and the fight continues for another minute or two.

My thoughts on this? You can’t let him have contact with her before you speak to her. Period. Communication is key here. Hayes looks and acts drunk, but you still have to explain the situation very calmly and clearly.

“Sir, I have to check on her and make sure she is alright and get her side of things. I need you to stay here with the other officer and we should be done in a few minutes if everything is ok on her end. No sir, I can’t let you in the house right now until I talk to her and then we will be leaving.”

Then you check on her. If she is not in fear and no violence occurred on either side(throwing things can be a domestic violence crime at times) then you clear and thank them for cooperation.

When jaxson tried to push past deputies and shoves one, he just committed battery on an officer and in my opinion, all force after that point is justified.

Looking at Graham v Connor and the factors that are considered because of that case, you look at crime taking place, size and number of offenders, size and number of officers, armed or not armed, terrain, special skills of offender, subject actively fleeing or fighting, and several
More, but I will focus on these. Taking theses factors, without the benefit of 20/20 hindsight using only the info the officers had at the time of the incident, would a reasonable officer use the same levels of force.

1. officers are investigating possible domestic violence which turns into battery on an officer. So this became a violent crime.

2. jaxson is huge at 6’11” and the officers are average sized and look like children when they are on his back.

3. the number of officers vs hayes’ crew are about even in number. Only one really got involved and he seemed to be trying to keep Hayes in check, but you never know who will turn on you once the fight begins.
4. Not armed
5. Terrain. On a set of steps which makes it very difficult to fight someone
6. Special skills-subject
Is extraordinarily large and a professional athlete and is in great physical condition
7. Subject is actively fighting

I will say the knee on the neck does not bother me in the least. It was on his shoulder and jaxson is still fighting. When jaxson says he can’t breathe, he moves the knee. End of issue for me-however, the use of force experts and activists on social media are calling for charges and the officers to be fired. Ridiculous.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/basketb...o-police-union-calls-nba-investigate-incident

I have been in a very similar circumstance where there was a domestic and we had an officer in with the female half and he wouldn’t answer the radio. When I went to check on him, the male said “you ain’t going in” and I told him I was just checking on the officer and would be right back. I went to step past him and he grabbed me and Then the fight was on, and it was one of the toughest fights I ever had on duty. To make matters more difficult, I had just found out that rear naked chokes were considered deadly force and I had used plenty to quickly end fights. This guy kept giving me his back and that neck looked so inviting. The fight would have been over right away, but I didn’t use the technique and we had to hit him and use pepper spray.

Dear god. A piece of shit low life used the, “I can’t breathe” defense to continue resisting and in this case attacking the officer?

cops should just never show up anymore in blue areas where the courts, officials and brainwashed jurors dwell in fantasyland.

They did a bad job at controlling the situation before it escalated, but after he started acting like an idiot and pushing the officers around then he deserved everything he got. Which wasn't even that bad tbh.

Dear god. A piece of shit low life used the, “I can’t breathe” defense to continue resisting and in this case attacking the officer?

cops should just never show up anymore in blue areas where the courts, officials and brainwashed jurors dwell in fantasyland.

I am guessing that this was a mansion since it was an nba splayed snd woodlin hills in la

Maybe this will bring an investigation against the police like when NBA player Thabo Sefalosha had his leg broken by cops outside a nightclub. Only they didn't realize he was a well connected pro athlete. The subsequent fallout turned into a federal investigation uncovering massive racial and illegal practices by the police department.

How dare he abuse the sacred I can't breathe. Floyd would be disappointed.

That's the go to words so everything after that is the cops fault.

Last edited:
They did a bad job at controlling the situation before it escalated, but after he started acting like an idiot and pushing the officers around then he deserved everything he got. Which wasn't even that bad tbh.

You will often see me harp on communication, which is one of the most valuable skills for a police. I was always very good at calmly explaining what was going to happen and explain it in a respectful manner and their approach was a bit off

I am guessing that this was a mansion since it was an nba splayed snd woodlin hills in la
Blue AF. Unless of course there was a gang robbing houses, then they would be demanding cops.

You will often see me harp on communication, which is one of the most valuable skills for a police. I was always very good at calmly explaining what was going to happen and explain it in a respectful manner and their approach was a bit off
It's about using the right framing and letting everyone know, in a calm way, exactly what is happening and why. It might sound odd, but as a healthcare professional, using appropriate framing has made a very big difference for me in calming people down and reducing their anxiety, thus having less incidents happen. The example you gave in the OP would have been much better compared to how they were fumbling around when giving instructions.

Am I allowed to say he wont ever be a good person or do anything of value and likely abuses her?

Did I see right? 6"11 guy got taken down by 5"9 cop? Where is his takedown defense?

Back