1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »
Violence/Genocide: Do not condone violence or genocide on a person or group of people. You are free to attack a person or groups ideas but you are crossing the line when calling for violence. This will be heavily enforced in threads with breaking news involving victims.

Social Political correctness vs Islamophobia - is there compatibility of Islamic and Western values?

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by TheMaster, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Bald1 War Room Can

<Lmaoo>

This is fucking hilarious coming from you.

Ramon Antonio likes this.
  2. Khabib Khanate Hashashiyan Staff Member Senior Moderator

The snake in the grass
    rears his foul head yet again,
    but to no avail

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  3. Denter Silver Belt

Why is freedom of speech so important, and how far are you willing to extend that?

Khabib Khanate likes this.
  4. Denter Silver Belt

Yes, we have a lot in common in that we walk on two legs, eat, sleep and talk, and that's about it. This feel good nonsense is meaningless.

Khabib Khanate and Harmonica like this.
  5. Harmonica Strong, silent type

Hear, hear.

Ultimately, it all boils down to what one perceives as essential. The lower the life-form, the more emphasis it will put on basic needs and functions.

Denter and Khabib Khanate like this.
  6. Ramon Antonio Black Belt

Freedom of speech is a critical pillar of a free democratic Western society. I'm willing to extend it extremely far. The less regulations there are, the better. Obviously there are subjects like direct calls to violence, threats of violence and revealing personal info etc. and other grey areas that are unavoidable to regulate in some way.

In a free society you'll be confronted with opinions and viewpoints that are offensive to you. However, what's offensive to a person is extremely subjective. I find many things religious people say offensive, but they find what I say offensive. So in practice people in a free society should develop a thicker skin to deal with these situations, but nothing should be above criticism and ridicule. Whenever you have things that are above ridicule / criticism you get scary shit.

Practically there's also the question of who you trust enough to regulate what can be said and what cannot be said. I wouldn't be comfortable with anyone holding that type of power.

ObsoleteSoul and Ballsaque like this.
  7. Phlog Dad Belt

I have friends that are moderate Muslims and they seem pretty compatible with our society!

8. SanchoMF Equally Useless

No one is interrogating you or anyone else :
    The topic of this thread is weather or not Islam is compatible with western values.
    You are a Muslim so I’m interested in your personal opinion on the aspects that seem the least compatible with today’s western values and where do you personally stand in all of this.

9. m25105 Black Belt

Selam @Azam glad to see another Muslim here in this place.

Khabib Khanate and Azam like this.
  10. Azam Brown Belt

I think that's a very simple way of looking at things. Values, beliefs, morality, relationships etc etc - no degree of commonality here?

Really?

Even religions share many commonalities with one another.

It seems like you want to believe that there is no commonality between people other than walking, eating, sleeping and talking.

Do you have any reading of history? A serious question?

Reason I ask is because commonality between different groups is quite evident when you read through history - you can evidently see how we influence one another and how we behave in similar waves (not rocket science since we're all humans).

From Greek philosophy influencing earlier Islamic philosophers and they in turn influencing renaissance philosophers is one example of many.

Of course I could be wrong and you could be a flying unicorn that shits gold which would mean that you are indeed different to everybody....

11. Bald1 War Room Can

Cute.

The guy who spent time combing through thousands of my contributions only to find a handful of questionable posts crying about being interrogated implying I'm a snake. Talk about uncharitable discourse. o_O

12. Khabib Khanate Hashashiyan Staff Member Senior Moderator

Oh you got a lot to say today now that you're sniping from the sidelines, funny how quiet you get when its time to actually have any kind of real discussion though. Expected of you at this point, little more than a cheerleader in these threads these days.

13. Bald1 War Room Can

I could always comment on the topic of apostasy in Islam, but thought I'd let that dog lie.

We've had our real discussions, for years now, and you've shown your dishonesty enough for anyone paying attention. What else is there to say? You deflect and accuse and I roll my eyes. So now I just sit back and laugh at your hypocrisy.

14. Khabib Khanate Hashashiyan Staff Member Senior Moderator

That's one way to remember it I guess.

The way I remember it, any time we start to get to the meat and potatoes of the discussion you drop some snarky comment and bail. Well not exactly, you definitely stick around to play cheerleader for other posters.

15. Ballsaque Brown Belt

Are you muslim?

16. m25105 Black Belt

Yes.

17. Denter Silver Belt

Any reading of history shows that different people and different societies react differently to similar phenomenon. If we were all so similar, we'd have identical cultures, governments and art, but we don't. The things we have in common are the most base- our noble qualities, the most different. I'm not interested in the fact that everyone loves their mother- that's the root, not the part of the plant that reaches up to the sun.

Khabib Khanate and Harmonica like this.
  18. Denter Silver Belt

About 80,000 French rightist were murdered in 1944-45 by vigilantes, according to US Army records. That's why France had to have Nouvelle Droit- all the old right were dead. Robert Brasilach was executed for writing positive things about the Germans, lol.

I think some posters here honestly believe that if our society was under significant strain we'd not do that, but it's just not true. Our history during Independence was full of that. To sit in judgment of premodern military/social arrangements, when defeat meant slavery or worse, is just extreme normalcy bias.

19. Denter Silver Belt

You honestly believe only "war crimes" were punished with death in the ww2 era? That's just false. People were executed for exercising what we would call freedom of speech.

20. SanchoMF Equally Useless

Huh? War-related, not war crimes.