Opinion Poll: Should all new guns be tracked cradle to grave?

Should we track all new guns cradle-to-grave?

• Other proposal for gun accountability (please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Fawlty

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So this is the only proposal I've seen or thought of that would stand a reasonable chance of allowing, in the distant future, true gun accountability. I'm not sure this is what I would want, but it seems worth thinking about. Here's a rough proposal:

All newly manufactured guns must be tracked by serial/lot/ID, which will identify the manufacturer, make, model, date and place created, other applicable info and a unique identifier for each gun. This will be stored permanently and centrally (federal database) and all transfers are notarized.

Each time the gun is transferred, a central database must be updated with the new owner of the gun, and only that person and their immediate family may possess the gun apart from reasonable temporary exceptions (hunting, target shooting, emergency, grace period for inheritance, safekeeping, repair, etc.).

It will be illegal to possess any gun manufactured after the date of the law that does not have those identifiers, and with reasonable exceptions it will be illegal to possess any gun that was not legally transferred to you.

Stolen guns must be reported immediately and fraud carries a mandatory minimum of 5 years. Illegal manufacture gets 10 years.

All legal guns before the date of the law are grandfathered in and only become tracked upon transfer for guns manufactured after 1990, and do not need to be tracked if manufactured before 1990.

It's assumed that all manufacturing of "printed" guns fall under the same rules.​

I don't expect much agreement with this, but I do like the idea a lot more than I like fighting over accessories and magazines and shit.

Mandatory firearms training for first time buyers, and mental health screening every 5 years to maintain ownership.

Disagree for many reasons. And again, all you’re doing is making law abiding citizens jump through hoops.

No.
Having such a list is a form of intimidation and smacks of big brother. It puts gun owners on notice that they are being watched by LEOs. Any such list will be cross-referenced or pulled up when the person interacts with government agencies for unrelated issues.

I'm being polite.

This thread is actually invalid, as this (gun rights) is non negotiable.

I don’t see why not. We track almost everything else in life.

That sounds expensive and an invasive option where 99.99% of gun owners are not a threat, but I'm wouldn't be completely against it as it does sound like a model already used for cars.

I would start with a graduating license and training system where owners have to pass 1 course and test for long guns and another for hand guns and automatic rifles with larger magazines.

The issue then comes up with the backlash that this system favors higher income people and poor minorities complaining about being cut out.

I voted "no" for confiscation concerns. The 2nd amendment doesn't guarantee you the right to private purchase of firearms explicitly, even if some may interpret that as an "infringement".

But I do live in a no-registration state and support that. The government doesn't need to be aware of anything nor everything I purchase for myself.

Criminals don’t use legal registered guns, so, wtf is the point?

The cat is out of the bag. I was playing with illegal sawed offs when I was like 11. There are simply too many guns on the streets to make a difference by passing a silly like this.

No.

How 'bout you guys just start at limiting open carry so that folks can't walk around like Rambo, as a starter? That should not be a state issue. It's just common sense.

Tiny steps...

The entire point is to be armed against shit like government and their systems.

So fuck no

Your right to own fully automatic rifles is being infringed.

Shouldn't you be protesting in the street?
Yeah I've been protesting with 80% lower receivers for a while now

Just look what happened in 2009 during the Red River flood (Alberta).
The city is evacuated and the police break into homes of registered gun owners and steal their guns. No tags or anyway of determining who they belong to.
Yet another “solution” that only targets responsible gun owners.

Back