Post Your Gloves/Gear

I wore a pair of Winning gloves today when I trained. I feel obligated to use them every now and then because I spent so much on them. Good gloves, not great. I am a Mexican glove kinda guy. Not because I am tough or a hard puncher. It’s because I like to punch and I know how to punch and Mexican gloves are made to punch. If your primary criteria for a boxing glove is protection of your hands, get Winning. If you love to punch at the limits of your physical ability, get a Mexican glove. If you put a Mexican glove next to a Winning glove you can see the intent of the maker. Winning are made to protect your hands. Mexican gloves are made to punch things. If you like highly engineered gloves, get a Winning glove. If you like a handcrafted old world charm, brought to life by the culture that bred the thoroughbred fighters of the boxing world, get a Mexican glove. Some people complain about the need to “break in” a Mexican glove and how uncomfortable they are when new. The best a Winning glove will ever be is the day you remove it from that distinctive Winnig box. Not so with Mexican gloves. The leather is stiff and tight because they are designed to be punched into a custom glove. The initial discomfort, if any, is a very minor inconvenience for what is to come. Because the leather is so much more superior to any other leather, it will stretch and mold when exposed to heat and sweat. The natural latex padding is also a major asset to your hands. Why are all the major glove makers advertising their “foams” and “space-age padding”? Because latex is natural rubber and is expensive to obtain and hard to work with. But there is no better shock dispersion substance made. In addition to heat and sweat being good for Mexican leather, it is also good for the latex. The more you punch in Mexican gloves, the better they get. I have a pair of Casanova’s that probably have a couple of hundred rounds on them. They feel like they were made for my hands. I also have a pair of Lopez gloves that are probably the most comfortable gloves I own. Yes, I own a pair of Winning gloves. I had to have them. But it’s like buying a high powered rifle and then complaining about the recoil. Like I said, the intent of the glove maker is apparent. Mexican gloves are intended to be worn by the warriors who made the Mexican fighting style famous. Ask yourself, why does every single major glove maker on the earth manufacture and market a “Mexican” glove. Title, Ringside (back in the day before they became a Reyes distributor) Everlast (the best glove they make is their MX line) Fairtex, Boon and Rival. Because try as they might, marketing their bullshit microfiber, injected molded foam, tri and quad layered padding, their is no substitute for an authentic Mexican made boxing glove. No, they will not e-mail you as each step of production occurs. No, they will not return your seven texts a day. No, they will not return your voice mail. But if left alone, they will make a pair of gloves that you can hand to your son and say “..I used to train in these…” They will make the best gloves you’ll ever put on your hands. If you are a glove collector like me, who actually uses every pair he owns, and enjoys that distinctive “pop” on the heavy bag or that “whomp” on your sparring partner’s headgear, these gloves will give you years of use. In total, Mexican gloves are designed to be worn by stud punchers. You like to cardio box, Fight Camp has a sale on. You want boxing gloves designed to be rugged durable and transfer kinetic energy, Mexican boxing gloves are for you.

Wow @Badoldman , I hope writing to you is as good, as it is for me reading you every time you describe your gloves experiences. Every time I read your posts describing your gloves experience, you put me in a mood wanting me to get my gloves on and start punching something. Love reading you Bad Old Man.

Wow @Badoldman , I hope writing to you is as good, as it is for me reading you every time you describe your gloves experiences. Every time I read your posts describing your gloves experience, you put me in a mood wanting me to get my gloves on and start punching something. Love reading you Bad Old Man.
True! @Badoldman really captures the essence and vibe of gloves when he compares and describes them.

View media item 34498These arrived on friday. I was caught off-guard. They are rock hard? I watched some Youtube reviews of 14oz Win1 and they of course seemed firmer but nothing like this. The thumb seam is extra stiff and restirctive too. Hoping they loosen up a lot. Anyone had this experience? I can't imagine the Aliens being harder

Last edited:
I have the alien 14oz, and they were ok at the start. Of course a little rigid, but nothing like "hard", the padding is actually kind of soft when you push with your fingers compare to a rs11v Rival 16oz.

Strange!

My son has the triple cuff Win1 version.
They feel like an IMF foam to me.
About medium density. Nothing I'd describing as being a hard foam though.

My son has the triple cuff Win1 version.
They feel like an IMF foam to me.
About medium density. Nothing I'd describing as being a hard foam though.
Inside is fine, feels exactly like my old 16oz version, nice and soft liner with the super soft inner layer of foam. Just very surprised at the overall hardness of the outer padding & leather. Kind of feels like its been dipped in something.

Inside is fine, feels exactly like my old 16oz version, nice and soft liner with the super soft inner layer of foam. Just very surprised at the overall hardness of the outer padding & leather. Kind of feels like its been dipped in something.

Might be worth getting intouch with TB about the finish....not something I've seen before from them guessing it's quite uncommon but they are a stock pair so might not of done a thorough final check when grabbing them from the pile.

In regards to hardness I can't comment as I only have the 16oz stock aliens and there still fairly soft for mexican style...surprising to see firm win1s but after a bit of breaking in I'm guessing they'll be like pillows

Might be worth getting intouch with TB about the finish....not something I've seen before from them guessing it's quite uncommon but they are a stock pair so might not of done a thorough final check when grabbing them from the pile.

In regards to hardness I can't comment as I only have the 16oz stock aliens and there still fairly soft for mexican style...surprising to see firm win1s but after a bit of breaking in I'm guessing they'll be like pillows
I contacted Muhammad about a couple of cosmetic issues, there's water-proofing spray or something similar very messily applied all over the glove, in drips and pools, hard to see in the photo I posted but notable up close. He was very kind and provided a very generous discount. I think I can get to the gym and try and give them hell on the bag and see if they will loosen up appropriately. Currently, they are stiffer than my Reyes when I first got them.

Just my experience but Topboxer Win1 gloves are very soft. Even so, I still hit the heavy bag to get the padding to flex some more. It just good practice to put 15-20 rounds in on a pair of sparring gloves before you begin hitting your sparring partners with them. I have 3 pair of Topboxers. 1 pair of 20oz Win1 custom, 1 pair of 20oz Alien custom and a pair of his Flores gloves I bought off another member of this site. All 3 are really good gloves and are soft, almost plush. The Flores gloves are the softest incidentally.

Reactions: CJ1
Topboxer stock Win1 16oz are soft.
Topboxer stock Win1 14oz and below are firm. His reason is that people requested for weights below 16oz to be firm for bagwork

Anyone here tried the Venum pro line? Giant 2.0, Hammer, Shield?
More and more boxers are using Venum in pro matches

Anyone here tried the Venum pro line? Giant 2.0, Hammer, Shield?
More and more boxers are using Venum in pro matches
I've got the Hammers and love them. Best feedback I've gotten from a heavy bag glove and I own New Sporting and Cleto. Not as sexy, design is too loud for me, but very functional gloves. Love the ease of making a fist and the position of it. Liner could be better for the price, but it isn't awful.

I have 16 oz Boon gloves I love for Muay Thai/kickboxing sparring because the hand compartment is tight and the wrist support is really good. I'm going to be going to more pure boxing sparring classes though, so wanted to get a glove that is a bit more compact for boxing, but still have a tight hand compartment and decent wrist protection. I've been floating lace ups, but I'd like to stick with velcro for ease of use.

I'm considering the Winnings velcros, but I've heard mixed things on their velcro gloves. Also considering Rival, Cleto Reyes, Grant, 1V1, and Sabas. Its hard to gauge which one I'd like without trying them, but which ones do you think would fit the bill?

Managed to try some Topboxer Win1 gloves from a friend of mine. I definitely like the leather, wrist support and protective feel, but I hate the thumb, it's so stiff at the base but there's also way too much room to move the thumb around. Then again, this is a custom pair made for his measurements and they're not fully broken in.

Probably gonna decide between either a pair of Cleto's, or a custom pair of Topboxer

Managed to try some Topboxer Win1 gloves from a friend of mine. I definitely like the leather, wrist support and protective feel, but I hate the thumb, it's so stiff at the base but there's also way too much room to move the thumb around. Then again, this is a custom pair made for his measurements and they're not fully broken in.

Probably gonna decide between either a pair of Cleto's, or a custom pair of Topboxer
Mitch, your judgment is impeccable. Great gloves.

View media item 34518 I received these on Friday....
I feel like I sound like a crybaby, but these things suck. Because of some cosmetic issues with the first pair, TB very graciously offered a second pair heavily discounted which I accepted. The padding is much much softer which I specifically said I did not want twice, when he offered. I find it hard to believe the leather from the gloves is cut from the same templates, the two pairs are very different in shape. The soft pair I can barely get my hands in, the thumbs are at least 2-3 cm shorter in the inside and the right gloves thumb is significantly shorter than the left, don't get me started on the thumb piping, again the right glove much worse than the left. It feels like QC has been a little forgotten. I don't want to talk with TB again because I don't want him to think I am crying to him for free stuff....anyway, buyer beware for TBs stock gloves.

View media item 34518 I received these on Friday....
I feel like I sound like a crybaby, but these things suck. Because of some cosmetic issues with the first pair, TB very graciously offered a second pair heavily discounted which I accepted. The padding is much much softer which I specifically said I did not want twice, when he offered. I find it hard to believe the leather from the gloves is cut from the same templates, the two pairs are very different in shape. The soft pair I can barely get my hands in, the thumbs are at least 2-3 cm shorter in the inside and the right gloves thumb is significantly shorter than the left, don't get me started on the thumb piping, again the right glove much worse than the left. It feels like QC has been a little forgotten. I don't want to talk with TB again because I don't want him to think I am crying to him for free stuff....anyway, buyer beware for TBs stock gloves.
this is stock green color or some custom order? They look like a metallic leather but I'm not sure

Back