Power hand forward (Right hand lead) - The Orthodox MMA stance

FIFY

mma fighters should fight with their dominant hand forward. In either a southpaw/right hand lead if they are right handed or a orthodox/left hand lead if they are left handed.

Orthodox doesn't refer to standard or normal....it refers to a stance.

We could just as easily call it left lead or right lead.
No need to bring in boxing terms.

The point is in boxing 'orthodox' is the stance most fight in based on conventional wisdom that most fighters are right handed and do better with a left lead in boxing.

I am saying that in MMA, most fighters are still right handed and would do better with a right lead as it bridges striking and grappling better and even just for striking there is little benefit for the left lead.

So 'orthodox' in mma, the stance that most should fight in should be dominant hand forward which may be left or right lead depending if you are left or right handed.

Orthodox in mma should mean strong lead not weak lead.
So he is fighting orthodox meaning he is connecting his striking and grappling with a power lead arm and leg.

For stance it could just be left lead, right lead or neutral for 50-50 but there should be a specific term for linking your striking and grappling lead in mma.

If not 'orthodox' then 'aligned' vs 'crossed' or some other term.

Aligned or orthodox in mma means you lead with dominant hand for striking and grappling.
'Crossed' means you have to change stance to grapple on the feet and lead with the weak hand to strike.

Some may be right handed but still lead with left for striking and learned to grapple primarily lead left also so they would still be 'aligned'.
It's more about having to change stance or not to grapple from a striking stance.

If you really wanted to keep the term 'orthodox' for left lead then you can add the term 'aligned' or not, for if they need to change stance to grapple.

Yeah I think the main point is, there is no reason to over complicate something that doesn't need to be complicated.
There is no point in having separate Orthodox/southpaw for MMA, it'd just add more confusion for people who casually watch boxing and MMA qnd it just over complicates the system for no real benefit.

It's like should be change Port and Starboard side on boats?

You're associating the word orthodox with standard or normal.

Well, since that's what it means. Or more specifically, the etymology of orthodox is 'what is held as true or correct', from 'orthos' (strait), and 'doxa' (common belief). Ie, 'correct opinion'.

Why did leading with the left hand come to be called orthodox in boxing, in the first place? Since most people were right handed, and in turn most people led with the left. In the context of boxing, it is an orthos doxa.

I don't really have a dog in this fight, but as a 10th level sorcerer of sophistical memeticry, i am sensitive to the importance of rectifying names, and so just noting that when you start using words to mean things they didn't mean, all manner of unforeseen consequences may abound.

Last edited:
Well, since that's what it means. Or more specifically, the etymology of orthodox is 'what is held as true or correct', from 'orthos' (strait), and 'doxa' (common belief). Ie, 'correct opinion'.

Why did leading with the left hand come to be called orthodox in boxing, in the first place? Since most people were right handed, and in turn most people led with the left. In the context of boxing, it is an orthos doxa.

I don't really have a dog in this fight, but as a 10th level sorcerer of sophistical memeticry, i am sensitive to the importance of rectifying names, and so just noting that when you start using words to mean things they didn't mean, all manner of unforeseen consequences may abound

<FutbolThink>

Me trying to understand those big words like memeticry

Filipino boxing, like all sensible systems that want to be most efficient with striking, grappling and weapons are power hand forward also.

Filipino boxing, like all sensible systems that want to be most efficient with striking, grappling and weapons are power hand forward also.

Fuck you talk some shit. Most right handed people naturally step off with their left leg first. Hence orthodox.

Most right handed people naturally step off with their left leg first. Hence orthodox.
Most right handed people swing a stick with their right hand, kick a football with their right leg and throw a person with their right hip.

Most right handed people swing a stick with their right hand, kick a football with their right leg and throw a person with their right hip.
And step forward with their left foot first. I'm right handed and my best kick is a left switch kick.

Nice example in the recent Usman title defence from the power hand forward straight lead/'jab'
(As has been said when it is power hand forward it's not called a jab anymore but a straight lead and it has KO and stun power)

Well he was in orthodox and changed to southpaw to scoop back from the lowkick. The jab of the right didn't cause knock down due to power, it was timing due to being off balanced by having 1 foot off the floor ftom throwing a kick.

The real damage was done when he went back to orthadow and threw a straight right cross on the downed oponient.

Being a righty southpaw can work for you, it has its merits, but to assume its the be all and end all and you thinking you have discovered something new is just silly. It works for some, but not for others.

Well he was in orthodox and changed to southpaw to scoop back from the lowkick. The jab of the right didn't cause knock down due to power, it was timing due to being off balanced by having 1 foot off the floor ftom throwing a kick.

The real damage was done when he went back to orthadow and threw a straight right cross on the downed oponient.

Being a righty southpaw can work for you, it has its merits, but to assume its the be all and end all and you thinking you have discovered something new is just silly. It works for some, but not for others.

Usman can obviously fight in both stances so switches up when necessary.

And the punch had power, it stunned him as is clear by the way he went down and fell back and lay with both hands down he wasn't simply off balance .
The follow-up finishes after the knockdown were straightforward after this.

I have also never seen a gnp punch to a grounded opponent referred to as 'orthodox'. Some of the next damaging punches were from the switched stance again it doesn't really matter it is gnp the focus is on finishing from on top you have gravity on your side especially as he was standing , to talk about 'stances' when gnp to a downed opponent is silly and unnecessary you follow the opponent to finish where there's openings.

Usman can obviously fight in both stances so switches up when necessary.

And the punch had power, it stunned him as is clear by the way he went down and fell back and lay with both hands down he wasn't simply off balance .
The follow-up finishes after the knockdown were straightforward after this.

I have also never seen a gnp punch to a grounded opponent referred to as 'orthodox'. Some of the next damaging punches were from the switched stance again it doesn't really matter it is gnp the focus is on finishing from on top you have gravity on your side especially as he was standing , to talk about 'stances' when gnp to a downed opponent is silly and unnecessary you follow the opponent to finish where there's openings.

I'm talking about his first follow up punch, he was stood orthodox and threw a big right hand before squaring up and doing some GnP. That's what done the damage. It was a lovely Jab from southpaw that knocked him down, but imo he was off balanced from being on 1 leg at the time that was a bigger contributer

And lol at gravity being a factor generating power when punching down.

And I've just noticed you time stamped your video to take out the first few seconds, this is the most important bit of the video, as it shows the set up that led to the initial knock down punch (where usman got the read of his kick and adapted to counter). Your so desperate to be right you have to make your point disingenuous to back up your claims that lead hand forward is more superior. Why would you time stamp 1 second out of such a small clip if not to show everyone that usman is a orthadox fighter who switched to southpaw to land a counter?

You say you want to be a coach, well you need to notice things like the set up of the right hand, and the timing of the punch being more of a contributer than the "power" of having strong hand forward. You just do what you always do, by having to edit out the little details that are big factors, just to make your point sound more prudent.

Pushing through your opinion by editing the facts, is what will make you a shitty coach, if you ever decide to take the plundge

Last edited:
I think its great for striking but doesn't offer equal defense attributes as opposed to fighting unorthodox hand forward.

I'm talking about his first follow up punch, he was stood orthodox and threw a big right hand before squaring up and doing some GnP. That's what done the damage. It was a lovely Jab from southpaw that knocked him down, but imo he was off balanced from being on 1 leg at the time that was a bigger contributer

And lol at gravity being a factor generating power when punching down.

Your point is still silly about referencing 'orthodox' to punch a guy lying flat on his back. Gnp we don't use such terminology.

And I've just noticed you time stamped your video to take out the first few seconds, this is the most important bit of the video, as it shows the set up that led to the initial knock down punch (where usman got the read of his kick and adapted to counter). Your so desperate to be right you have to make your point disingenuous to back up your claims that lead hand forward is more superior. Why would you time stamp 1 second out of such a small clip if not to show everyone that usman is a orthadox fighter who switched to southpaw to land a counter?

You say you want to be a coach, well you need to notice things like the set up of the right hand, and the timing of the punch being more of a contributer than the "power" of having strong hand forward. You just do what you always do, by having to edit out the little details that are big factors, just to make your point sound more prudent.

Pushing through your opinion by editing the facts, is what will make you a shitty coach, if you ever decide to take the plundge

The clip highlights a knockdown from right lead. Usman can fight from both stances and swtiches but the knockdown came from that.
A solely left lead orthodox fighter would not switch stances to evade a kick but a fighter versed in both would.

You're also showing your ignorance here as a coach; I don't care how long you claim to have been doing it you seem to not understand some fundamentals here which is a concern.

There was reset after the missed right kick when Usman switched stances. It wasn't an immediate counter right as you imply.
They both backed out a bit then reset but Usman stayed in right lead. Burns then entered again with another kick and got caught coming in.
So time stamping the punch from the right lead is what we are focussing on and no, the switch was not the most important part since they reset and backed out a bit after missed kick and stance change then came in again and the scenario would be equally valid for a right lead fighter as for a guy who can switch stances.

Last edited:
Back