Prep Talk: Medical

Teppodama

A Dude, playing a Dude, disquised as another Dude
@Silver
Reaction score
Thought this forum if any would be a good place to discuss various prep talk. This particular topic is to focus on various medical related interesting information or suggestions.

General Tip #1: For the BOB or a general disaster pack, I personally recommend getting a small pill container with enough slots for a week and laying in a stash of any medications you need to take. Obviously that recommendation also extends to anyone else in your family on medications. If your worried about expiration dates just periodically swap out the meds for fresh ones and use the older ones before they expire. At a minimum shoot for three days. Three days may be enough time for emergency services to assist you depending on what's going on.
General Tip #2: Get a map of your local area and mark down the location of all of the Pharmacies for potential scavenging or general refills. Depending on the medications you need the store may not be cleared out of that particular item.
General Tip #3: Get a small reference book on general first aide and keep it in your bag. At a minimum get some 4x6 cards and write down information on dealing with basic injuries.
General Tip #4: Put together a small emergency supply of OTC items to assist with your basic first aide efforts or help deal with various ailments that might occur during your emergency situation.

Sore Muscle, Pain & Fever Relief
  1. Tylenol (Acetaminophen) Commonly used for relief of pain and lowering fever. Effective for pain from dental issues and menstrual cramping. Excedrin is better for headaches. Works because it is acetaminophen plus caffeine. May be helpful for those who get headaches when they run out of coffee or caffeinated soda.
  2. Motrin (Ibuprofen) also brand name Advil. This is probably one of the most flexible of the pain medications. If you only have space/budget for one pain reliever, go with this one. Used for inflammation and pain but is also effective for relieving the pain of menstrual cramping, arthritis, gout, sinus pain, and backache. Can be very effective in relieving severe pain when used in combination with Acetaminophen.
  3. Aleve (Naproxen) Less common but effective for reducing pain and lowering fever. Naproxen is a longer acting medicine that can work well for muscle and back pain.
  4. Aspirin (Acetylsalicylic acid) and Baby Aspirin. Aspirin is less powerful than Ibuprofen or Acetaminophen but should not be given to children under 18. Baby aspirin can work to thin the blood and may help prevent future heart attacks. Keep in mind that taking a blood thinning agent during a SHTF scenario is not recommended unless necessary.
  5. Orajel/Anbesol Gel for toothaches, mouth sores, gum pain. It works as a temporary numbing agent when applied topically.
  6. Epsom Salts—very powerful laxative. Is also effective in a bath or soak tub for soothing sore muscles. Mix ¼ Epsom salt with ¾ water to create Magnesium oil to spray on the body. When it goes through the skin rather than the digestive system, it doesn’t have laxative effect but still increases magnesium in the body. Magnesium increases energy and mental clarity.
Allergy and Itch Relief
  1. Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) Many moms will tell you that their home first aid kit is never without this wonder drug. It has multiple uses. Its main purpose is for relieving/reducing an allergic reaction and draining respiratory passages. Effective for coughing, sneezing, itching, runny nose, and other symptoms associated with allergies. Can make some people drowsy, especially children so pay attention to dosage recommendations and use with caution.
  2. Claritin or Alavert (Loratadine) Used for treatment of allergy symptoms such as sneezing, coughing, and itchy or watery eyes. Loratadine does not cross the blood/brain barrier and thus should not cause drowsiness but may slightly slow reaction times. Some people find it works better than Benadryl. Zyrtec (Cetirizine) a different type of antihistamine. May cause some drowsiness as it can cross the blood/brain barrier. May be more effective for some than Claritin or Alavert.
  3. Hydrocortisone cream (1%) for itching and inflamed skin. Do not use on diaper area or children under two years of age unless instructed by a doctor. Do not use on skin that is infected, weeping, or scraped.
  4. Corizone-10 cream is effective for rashes and skin irritation, redness, inflammation due to insect bites, poison oak, ivy, or sumac. Relieves itching in the anal and genital areas but should not be used for diaper rash or on children under two years old.
  5. Lotrimin (Clotrimazole) can be effective for treating a multitude of yeast and fungal infections including ringworm, jock itch, yeast infections, athlete’s foot, diaper rash, and skin fold irritation.
  6. Aspercreme (Lidocaine) This will treat itching, sunburns, and other minor burns. Some people say it even helps with hemorrhoids and sore muscles. It works is by targeting pain receptors and numbing the skin and tissue.
Cold & Cough Symptom Relief
  1. Airborne Immune System Supplement Tablets (Zinc)
  2. Mucinex DM (Dextromethorphan, Guaifenesin) Great for colds that come with a lot of congestion. Up your daily intake of water for best results.
  3. Sudafed PE (Phenylephrine, Acetaminophen) Most effective for sinus pain and pressure but works like Dayquil.
  4. DayQuil/NyQuil or other Cold/Cough Medicine to treat congestion, sore throat, cough, and headache that accompanies cold or flu.
  5. Delysum (Dextromethorphan Polystirex) an anti-cough medication. Can produce allergic reactions in some children. May cause euphoria.
  6. Vick’s Vapor Rub has historically been used on the chest and neck of little ones and adults to soothe congestion associated with colds. Can also be applied topically to the bottoms of feet during sleep to ease nighttime coughing or applied to sore muscles for pain relief.
  7. Robitussin (Guaifenesin) This is just like Mucinex DM minus the Dextromethorphan (cough suppressant). If your only problem is chest mucus, this is what you want to take.
GastroIntestinal Relief
  1. Pepto-Bismol (Bismuth sub-salicylate) If your space is limited, Pepto Bismol is a good choice because of its effectiveness for a wide variety of issues such as heartburn, nausea, indigestion, and diarrhea). It could essentially eliminate the need for several other OTC meds if necessary.
  2. Imodium (Loperamide) Even with the best of plans, you and your family will likely see a radical change in your daily diet during a SHTF situation, especially one that extends over weeks or months. Imodium is the go-to medicine for diarrhea and will be especially important to prevent dehydration.
  3. Dulcolax (Bisacodyl) or another Laxative. A lack of available water is likely to cause constipation in you or family member. A laxative is great to have on hand just in case you or a family member experiences this problem.
  4. Dramamine (Dimenhydrinate) The goto medication for dizziness and nausea. Dimenhydrinate is an active ingredient that can cause extreme drowsiness. Look for a non-drowsy version that has meclizine as the active agent, especially if you have children.
  5. Zantac (Ranitidine) is just one of many treatments for stomach issues such as ulcers, heartburn, and reflux. It can be effective at relieving hives and soothe stomach upset that occurs from taking some medications such as ibuprofen.
  6. Tums (Calcium Carbonate) Even if frequent heartburn is not an issue for you and your family members now, it could become a problem in a SHTF situation when you are forced to eat whatever is on hand. May also be effective to treat calcium deficiency which could become an issue when food is scarce.
  7. Maalox (Magnesium Sulfate) is effective to soothe symptoms of acid reflux and stomach ulcers. Maalox has also been effective in soothing diaper rash.
  8. Alka-Seltzer (Citric Acid, Sodium Bicarbonate) This is a combination citric acid, sodium bicarbonate, and a little bit of aspirin. It’s great for indigestion, stomach aches, and even head or body aches, especially after eating or drinking too much.
  9. Milk of Magnesia (Magnesium Hydroxide) This is both an antacid and a laxative. It reduces stomach acid, but it also draws water into the intestines, helping relief constipation.
  10. Nexium or Prilosec (Esomeprazole) Heartburn relief
  11. Tagamet (Cimetidine) Another fast-acting acid reducer. I recommend taking this ahead of time if you know you’re going to eat something like pizza or fried food.
  12. Pepcid AC (Famotidine) If heartburn isn’t a regular problem for you but only happens after eating certain foods, this is probably the fastest way to get relief.
Bleeding & Burns
  1. Burnjel Plus or Solarcaine (Lidocaine spray or gel) for rapid treatment of sunburns, heat burns, scalding, etc. It’s shelf-stable and easy to apply to just about any wound.
  2. QuikClot (Hemostatic Dressing with Kaolin) Gauze that promotes clotting to be used for external bleeding wounds. Liquid Bandage or NewSkin can also be handy for minor bleeding when traditional bandages are scarce.
  3. Neosporin (Neomycin and polymyxin B sulfates plus bacitracin), Polysporin (Bacitracin & Polymixin B Sulfate) or Bacitracin. Antibiotic ointments used to prevent or treat skin infection that can result from scrapes, minor cuts, or insect bites. Some people are allergic to the neomycin in Neosporin so if applicable choose Polysporin or Bacitracin instead.
  4. Silvadene Cream (Silver sulfadiazine) is a sulfonamide antibiotic. It is used on the skin for second or third degree burns. It helps to prevent or treat serious infection.
  5. Aloe Vera: Studies show evidence that aloe vera is effective in healing first- to second-degree burns. Aloe is anti-inflammatory, promotes circulation, and inhibits the growth of bacteria.
Additional OTC Meds
  1. Saline solution to disinfect and rinse the eyes. Can also be used to irrigate wounds.
  2. Pedialyte is helpful to have on hand for rehydrating someone who has experienced extreme illness or becomes severely dehydrated.
  3. FishMox (Amoxicillin) or FishPen (Penicillin) can be purchased without a prescription through your vet or local farm supply store. These should be used sparingly but are good to have on hand as a last resort for infections.
  4. Activated Charcoal (Charcoal) – This is worth stockpiling because of its ability to absorb poisons and remove them from the body. It can also treat gas, diarrhea, indigestion, and can even whiten your teeth.

Anyway, that's just some thoughts and info I thought I'd share. If you also have ideas or more medication information please share.

Last edited:
Excellent work, sir.

Good advice.
Thank you. Hope it gives others some ideas of what they might want to help them when an emergency arrives or provides information when an accident occurs. Hopefully it also generates more helpful conversation. We have a great resource of various experiences and knowledge here and it only makes sense to tap into that.

Here's another tip / thought I've had if you really think you might ever need to bug out. If you've chosen your designated bug out location and have the resources, it's might be worth ones time to geo-cache resupply points along the way. Doesn't even have to be much to cache. A change of cloths, enough ammunition to refill the weapons you believe you might have with you, rations for three days, etc... think lite resupply for getting from point to point. Just get a large PC tube and end caps. Cut it to the size you need. Put everything in a waterproof bag and into the tube and seal the ends. Bury it, cache the location and move on.

Last edited:
Very good thread , Well done . I take it you have medical experience ?

Last edited:
Very good thread , Well done . I take it you have medical experience ?
Some. Also grew up with a father that was an ER RN for 25 years. I've worked for hospitals my whole adult life. CMA, Registered Pharmacy Tech, IT. I do think this sort of information is valuable to anyone regardless.

Some. Also grew up with a father that was an ER RN for 25 years. I've worked for hospitals my whole adult life. CMA, Registered Pharmacy Tech, IT. I do think this sort of information is valuable to anyone regardless.
I myself certified advanced/intermediate EMT . I agree it is very important. A subject that’s over looked in survival.

Great thread. I'm set on the tactical/trauma side of medical needs. Definitely need to stock up on the basics for like cold and flu symptoms though.

Good reminder thread.

I myself certified advanced/intermediate EMT . I agree it is very important. A subject that’s over looked in survival.
Excellent skill set you have. I think I would have enjoyed going down that path.

Excellent skill set you have. I think I would have enjoyed going down that path.
It is , it never to late to go down that path . You definitely have deep interest and knowledge. Besides it keeps your skills fresh and will cover more medical knowledge. Trauma is kinda easy to learn . Again excellent thread

Last edited:
Back