Social President Trump To Eliminates All Federal Student Loan Debt For Permanently Disabled U.S Veterans

Arkain2K

Si vis pacem, para bellum
@Steel
Reaction score
Summary:

- A Federal student loan debt forgiveness program for vets currently exists, but it was designed with so much bureaucratic red tapes and hurdles for applicants to go through in a long, arduous, and often mismanaged process, only 1 in 5 of our eligible vets actually ends up receiving it.

- We currently have about 25,000 permanently disabled veterans who are eligible for Federal student loan debt forgiveness, each with an average of $30,000 of student loan held by the U.S Department of Education.

- With President Trump's new Executive Order, all Federal student loan debts owed by any permanently disabled U.S veterans are now automatically cancelled by the Department of Education, unless they request to opt out.

-----

President Trump signs Executive Order to automatically eliminate all Federal student loan debt for permanently disabled vets
By Savannah Behrmann and Chris Kenning, USA TODAY | Aug. 21, 2019

President Donald Trump announced Wednesday a new plan to relieve disabled veterans totally of federal student loan debt.

"The debt of disabled veterans will be entirely erased," Trump said during his prepared remarks at the American Veterans 75th National Convention in Louisville, Kentucky. "In a few moments, I will sign a memorandum directing the Department of Education to eliminate every penny of federal student loan debt owed by American veterans who are completely and permanently disabled."

The memo directs the government to develop an "expedited" process, which the Department of Education said would mean loans are forgiven unless veterans opt out.

Trump addressed a large crowd of veterans at the event, saying, "You fought courageously for your country, and now we’re fighting courageously for you."

He also vowed to eliminate "every penny" of an average of $30,000 in federal student loan debt for each of about 25,000 disabled veterans.

At the conclusion of his address, the president stayed on stage to sign the executive order in front of the crowd, flanked by Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos, among others.

“That's hundreds of millions of dollars in student debt held by our severely wounded warriors. It's gone forever,” Trump said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...e-student-loan-debt-disabled-vets/2078416001/

Last edited:
Any info on how much money this is? Nice gesture in any case. Will confuse partisan commentary.

His executive orders are typically not worth the paper they're written on. Sounds good, but I doubt it'll ever come to fruition.

He issues an executive order like this while overseeing a dismantling of financial regulation that allows lenders to fuck people over across the nation more than they have before. Color me unconvinced.

Any info on how much money this is? Nice gesture in any case. Will confuse partisan commentary.

We have about 25,000 qualifying vets, with an average of $30,000 in student loan debt each. They all will now be cancelled automatically unless the veterans specifically request to opt out.

Not sure how anyone could be partisan enough to be against something like this, to be honest, but we'll see if the usual suspects will show.

‘Supreme debt of gratitude:’ President Trump signs student debt forgiveness for disabled veterans
by AP Wire Service | August 21, 2019

gettyimages-1169421990.jpg

Hundreds of millions of dollars in federal student loan debt owed by tens of thousands of disabled military veterans will be erased under a directive President Donald Trump signed Wednesday.

President Trump ordered the Education Department to “eliminate every penny of federal student loan debt” owed by American veterans who are completely and permanently disabled.

President Trump said they won’t have to pay federal income tax on the forgiven debt and called on states to waive their taxes on the loans, too.

America, he said, owes its heroes “a supreme debt of gratitude.”

President Trump’s announcement at the AMVETS national convention in Louisville elicited a loud round of applause from the crowd of more than 2,500 veterans. He signed the directive after addressing the gathering.

The action will wipe out an average of $30,000 in debt owed by more than 25,000 eligible veterans, President Trump said, calling them “incredible people” who have made “the ultimate sacrifice, in many ways, for our nation.”

https://fox6now.com/2019/08/21/president-trump-signs-student-debt-forgiveness-for-disabled-veterans/

Last edited:
His executive orders are typically not worth the paper they're written on. Sounds good, but I doubt it'll ever come to fruition.

He issues an executive order like this while overseeing a dismantling of financial regulation that allows lenders to fuck people over across the nation more than they have before. Color me unconvinced.

giphy.gif

Sounds like something Mussolini and Hitler would do.

Will confuse partisan commentary.

My first thought when I saw the headline on Facebook a few minutes ago.

Hacks waiting for what marches orders to follow before commenting on this one.

I thought the previous administration officially stated all veterans since the US invasions of Afghanstan and Iraq have PTSD. Therefore, all vets are considered to have a disability (their term).

So, does this current executive order cover all vets since 2001?

As critical as I usually am of Trump I must applaud him on this one.

Following in the footsteps of Hitler it seems

I'm sure the fine print states White Disabled Veterans

Cant complain. Wonder what the impact will be tho, as I also wondered what the impact would be when in Canada Chase forgave all debt.

I mean, I have no sympathy for the bankers, but what about simlar business and home owners who are competing?

I don't mind a good rustle of the chips tho. Just interesting.

His EO just demands that the process is expedited. He's not actually forgiving anyone's debt, it was already supposed to be forgiven. Or did I miss something? The headlines are very misleading. Of course it's Fox.

Contrary to what many ppl think, this executive order isn't creating a new program. Student debt forgiveness (for permanently disabled vets) already existed but the program was bogged down by red tape and mismanagement.

Before, vets (the lucky few who were even informed of their eligibility) had to go through a lengthy application process to capitalize on this benefit.

Trump's order cuts out the middle man and makes debt forgiveness an automatic action with an opt-out clause for eligible vets.

I was ready to give this a like, but then I read the actual article and it's not as big a deal as the headline makes it sound. Disabled veterans can already have their student loan debt forgiven, they just have to apply for it. Donald is just trying to make that application process faster and simpler.

The memo Trump signed directs the government to develop an "expedited" process so veterans can have their federal student loan debt discharged "with minimal burdens." Currently, just half of the roughly 50,000 disabled veterans who are qualified to have their federal student loan debt forgiven have received the benefit because of a burdensome application process.

Under the current process, disabled veterans can have their debt forgiven under a loan forgiveness program, called Total and Permanent Disability Discharge, or TPD, as long as they have a VA service-connected disability rating of 100 percent. As of July, however, only about 20 percent of the eligible pool of veterans had taken advantage of the program due to the complicated nature of the application and other factors.

Still a good move by Donald, but that headline is pure editorial politics.

Last edited:
Back