Prime BJ Penn vs. Prime Conor – who wins?

Danis_champ

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Both double champs
Both moved up multiple weight-classes
Both excellent boxers

prime Conor I mean 2016-2017 version

I think Conor wins the first round and a half then Penn takes over and Penn wins 48-47, 49-46, 49-46 decision.

But honestly you have to factor BJ's jiu-jitsu. It was amongst the best.

Conor embarrassed and KO Penn on the feet in the first round.

Can you imagine a prime BJ getting one shot KOd in the first? Even at 40 he was withstanding huge shots from bigger guys. Bj still finished people going into the 3rd and 5th rounds. Therefore, BJ wins.

Penn had such an amazing chin and great boxing with head movement that I think he would probably win in the middle rounds of a 5 round title fight

BJ by decision. Prime BJ had an iron chin and excellent boxing. His cardio wasn't the greatest but still better than Conor. Style wise not the best matchup for Conor

Prime conor is a better boxer and kicker. Prime conor also had 3 round cardio(145) he wins. BJ whilst good was in a vastly inferrior era and still lost quite a few times in his prime(pulver,GSP,drew with Caol uno ETC) plus he fought pre USADA...
I watch a few of the old fights and it amazes me how bad some former legends were compared today, dont think i can look at chuck liddel the same way again.
Conor by decision or TKO is the safe bet.

Prime Penn eats all Conor has to offer and then beats him by whatever after Conor gasses and quits (as per his custom). Prime Penn has granite chin, no way in hell Conor beats him. People are making McGregor to be mini Rumble or something, while he has proven KO power only at FW.

Would take Penn more times than not via having a better chin, better wrestling, and more ways to win the fight.

Prime conor is a better boxer and kicker. Prime conor also had 3 round cardio(145) he wins. BJ whilst good was in a vastly inferrior era and still lost quite a few times in his prime(pulver,GSP,drew with Caol uno ETC) plus he fought pre USADA...
I watch a few of the old fights and it amazes me how bad some former legends were compared today, dont think i can look at chuck liddel the same way again.
Conor by decision or TKO is the safe bet.
serious LOL

Ive been wanting to poat this same thing but figured it would flamed and hilacked by motivated Penn jokes

during his prime, penns boxing and all of his ability realistically was just, natural. when you say "hes a natural" that was penn. slip and rip all day on conor, conor gasses first penn wins by whatever he choses. find one fight where prime penn lost in the standup or on the ground before getting tired

Great analysis and rebuttal.
It is not worth getting into a debate with someone who is clearly new to mma and is relying solely on wikipedia for their research. It is painfully obvious that you have no idea what you are talking about and haven't seen any of Prime BJ Penn's fights. Grow up

Back