Prime Fedor vs current UFC HWs? How does he do?

It always kills me when the Fedor Fan Club gets to choose Fedor in his prime against fighters that clearly aren’t in their prime.

Why don’t you ask a fair question by just saying prime vs prime. Though every single one of you seems to have a different definition of prime. Which usually only serves to suit your own purposes anyway.

The Stipe that beat Ngannou beats any version of Fedor. That’s my belief, and nobody is ever changing it. And the version of Ngannou that beat Stipe likely knocks out Fedor. And Ngannou appears to still be improving.

Here we go again. Fedor would also armbar Superman, KO Batman and would outwrestle a grizzly bear to an unanimous decision.
See, this is exactly how I can tell you’re a new fan who hasn’t been around. The OGs clearly remember that he
KOed Superman

and TKOed the grizzly bear.
CA1ED70F-EBE6-433B-8B8D-AFF7ECAB332F.jpeg

(The part about KOing Batman is accurate)

The guy who lost to a 40 years old middleweight while being a 34 years old heavyweight, yes...

2002-2005 Fedor would be champion. There has never been another HW that well rounded.

LOL @ Lewis who would be the easiest match-up for Fedor. Obviously Lewis has a good puncher's chance against anyone but he doesn't even have that great of a chin. Prime Fedor would have a significant speed/cardio/grappling advantage over Lewis and I think he'd easily beat him.

Volkov really hasn't done anything to impress me and I think the majority of people from Fedor's era including Nog would beat him. I actually think Tim Sylvia would probably beat Volkov because Tim was way better at using his size/reach (remember, even a past his prime Kongo beat Volkov).

Stipe has decent defensive wrestling and crisp striking so I'd give him a chance at least but I think Fedor would catch him eventually because I don't think Stipe would be used to fighting someone faster than him. Good fight.

Ngannou is obviously a huge threat standing but I still question his takedown defense/cardio. He stuffed one takedown against Stipe (who has nowhere near the takedown ability of Fedor) and people are acting like it's not possible to get him down. Considering the vast majority of people Ngannou has beaten are over the hill and the fights were over so fast, I still think it's fair to say he has question marks. Dangerous fight obviously but I think Fedor would submit him more times than not.

Prime JDS is one of the toughest match-ups for Fedor. Reem (specifically Ubereem) would be tough as well as he is for most people but his chin is always a huge glaring weakness.

In a cage, DC has a decent chance to wall and stall Fedor. In a ring, I'd favor Fedor as I don't see DC winning a striking match. Similar for Cain but Cain's aggression/volume of strikes could be an issue for Fedor (especially in the cage) as Fedor cuts easily. Cain's chin is much worse than DC's though and his aggression could leave him open so another good fight.

Basically, he would be competitive and have a shot against any of them. Anyone who says he would walk through all of them is delusional but if you think he wouldn't be competitive, you are also being delusional. Styles make fights regardless of era and Fedor is one of the most well rounded of all time in any division.
Stipe is a far better wrestler than Fedor

Fedor was outwrestled by every good wrestler he faced (including MW Lindland) but was able to armbar his way out of trouble

Fedor was outwrestled by every good wrestler he faced (including MW Lindland) but was able to armbar his way out of trouble

Only when it comes to TDD and singles and doubles. Fedor's offensive clinch wrestling and mat wrestling were better. He also faced much better wrestlers than Stipe did.

Only when it comes to TDD and singles and doubles. Fedor's offensive clinch wrestling and mat wrestling were better. He also faced much better wrestlers than Stipe did.
"Only when it comes to TDD and singles and doubles"

Lmao that's 90% of MMA wrestling son

And no, Fedor wasn't better in the clinch. Stipe bullied DC in the clinch whereas Fedor got beaten up against the cage by Bigfoot.

An ancient Coleman, 210lb Randleman, and MW Lindland are nowhere near comparable to a 250lb DC x3

"Only when it comes to TDD and singles and doubles"

Lmao that's 90% of MMA wrestling son

And no, Fedor wasn't better in the clinch.

An ancient Coleman, 210lb Randleman, and MW Lindland are nowhere near comparable to a 250lb DC x3

No it's not, clinch wrestling and mat wrestling are bigger parts of wrestling than just single/double legs and TDD.

This thread is also about prime Fedor so why are you comparing Prime Stipe to years passed his prime Fedor? Everyone that watched Fedor's career knows his Prime was over by 2008/2009 and his grappling declined greatly after 2008/2009.

Coleman wasn't ancient when he fought Fedor the first time, I would argue he was at his peak as a fighter in their first fight, he wasn't that far removed from winning the OWGP which was his best career accomplishment.

The Coleman, Randleman and Lindland that Fedor fought still actually were using their wrestling a lot in most fights unlike the DC that Stipe fought that wasn't really wrestling any longer, he only went for a total of 5 takedown attempts in 3 fights against Stipe, that's not much. Randleman was also not 210 at HW, he was 228 while Fedor was 237.

Some of this is just a myth. Firstly, at no point did Lindland ever outwrestle Fedor. Here’s the fight, when did this outwrestling occur? Fedor outgrappled Lindland at every point.

Other wrestlers had success getting Fedor to the ground, but to act like it was a massive weakness is a little crazy. In Fedor-Coleman 2, Coleman spammmmmmed TDs. Official fight stats have him 2/12, or 16%.
http://ufcstats.com/fight-details/172346850e7d24d6
Coleman had more success in their first fight, but it’s not accurate to say Fedor solely “armbarred his way out of trouble.”
giphy.gif

Fight stats for Fedor-Hendo have Henderson 0/1 on TDs.
http://ufcstats.com/fight-details/abaa317e9b8374ca
Even as recently as when Ancient Fedor fought Chael, this wasn’t true. I couldn’t find official stats, but how many TDs did Fedor stuff or avoid before Chael finally had success? And once he did get Fedor down, he got swept.
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Some of this is just a myth. Firstly, at no point did Lindland ever outwrestle Fedor. Here’s the fight, when did this outwrestling occur? Fedor outgrappled Lindland at every point.

Other wrestlers had success getting Fedor to the ground, but to act like it was a massive weakness is a little crazy. In Fedor-Coleman 2, Coleman spammmmmmed TDs. Official fight stats have him 2/12, or 16%.
http://ufcstats.com/fight-details/172346850e7d24d6
Coleman had more success in their first fight, but it’s not accurate to say Fedor solely “armbarred his way out of trouble.”
giphy.gif

Fight stats for Fedor-Hendo have Henderson 0/1 on TDs.
http://ufcstats.com/fight-details/abaa317e9b8374ca
Even as recently as when Ancient Fedor fought Chael, this wasn’t true. I couldn’t find official stats, but how many TDs did Fedor stuff or avoid before Chael finally had success? And once he did get Fedor down, he got swept.
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Good post but FanofC seems to think that wrestling is almost exclusively single/double legs and TDD, clinch wrestling and mat wrestling don't exist based on what he said so it seems in his eyes if you get take down but reverse the position it's not wrestling that did that, LMAO.

2003-2006 Fedor would be the favorite against any fighter of any era, period. Doesn’t mean he wouldn’t lose, but SHOULD be the favorite.
Agreed. Could Ngannou beat that Fedor, yes. Could that Fedor beat Ngannou. Yes. Would be fun.

Sea Level Cain would be a tough matchup.

If Cain wasn't defeated by his training camp first.

LOL @ Lewis who would be the easiest match-up for Fedor. Obviously Lewis has a good puncher's chance against anyone but he doesn't even have that great of a chin. Prime Fedor would have a significant speed/cardio/grappling advantage over Lewis and I think he'd easily beat him.

Volkov really hasn't done anything to impress me and I think the majority of people from Fedor's era including Nog would beat him. I actually think Tim Sylvia would probably beat Volkov because Tim was way better at using his size/reach (remember, even a past his prime Kongo beat Volkov).

Stipe has decent defensive wrestling and crisp striking so I'd give him a chance at least but I think Fedor would catch him eventually because I don't think Stipe would be used to fighting someone faster than him. Good fight.

Ngannou is obviously a huge threat standing but I still question his takedown defense/cardio. He stuffed one takedown against Stipe (who has nowhere near the takedown ability of Fedor) and people are acting like it's not possible to get him down. Considering the vast majority of people Ngannou has beaten are over the hill and the fights were over so fast, I still think it's fair to say he has question marks. Dangerous fight obviously but I think Fedor would submit him more times than not.

Prime JDS is one of the toughest match-ups for Fedor. Reem (specifically Ubereem) would be tough as well as he is for most people but his chin is always a huge glaring weakness.

In a cage, DC has a decent chance to wall and stall Fedor. In a ring, I'd favor Fedor as I don't see DC winning a striking match. Similar for Cain but Cain's aggression/volume of strikes could be an issue for Fedor (especially in the cage) as Fedor cuts easily. Cain's chin is much worse than DC's though and his aggression could leave him open so another good fight.

Basically, he would be competitive and have a shot against any of them. Anyone who says he would walk through all of them is delusional but if you think he wouldn't be competitive, you are also being delusional. Styles make fights regardless of era and Fedor is one of the most well rounded of all time in any division.

To me Stipe, Cain and Cormier are inferior versions of Fedor and only Cormier of those is likely stronger.

Ubereem, Ngannou, are his toughest matches and of course Prime Werdum who he would probably Decision but not finish. Ubereem couldnt finish prime Werdum and it wasnt going to the ground. Prime Werdum submitted Nog ajd also submitted Fedor

Past prime fighters first thing they lose is chin and their speed. The wrestlers Ngannou fought still would rerain their strength and takedown ability.

See, this is exactly how I can tell you’re a new fan who hasn’t been around. The OGs clearly remember that he
KOed Superman

and TKOed the grizzly bear.
View attachment 845373

(The part about KOing Batman is accurate)

You know deep inside this isn’t real, because Fedor never signed with UFC

Ngannou would KO Fedor. The size and power difference just would be too much. 90/10 Ngannou

Stipe should be the slight favourite as he’s much longer and a more technical boxer.
60/40 Stipe

Lewis can KO anyone, but Fedor might pull of what DC did to him. 50/50

Fedor could KO or submit Blaydes, but Blaydes could also wrestlefuck him to a decision. 50/50

Gane is way too big technical, athletic and big for Fedor. Horrible matchup for Fedor. 90/10 Gane

Volkov is way taller and more technical on the feet, he also has great TDD. He seems a bit slow, so Fedor might land on him or snatch up a submission. 60/40 Volkov

Back