Prime Fedor vs Ngannou

Ask Heath and TK.

He rarely depended on just staying in the clinch and slowly working takedowns were power can be put to use more, it was almost always a case of chaining takedowns into striking/movement catching an opponent off balance.

Again I think if Ngannou looked to chase Fedor down as he has his other recent opponants you'd seen Fedor looking to duck under the first punch he throws and do something like...

CrazyBitesizedDogfish-size_restricted.gif
Agree. Fedor-Nog 3 is another great example of how Fedor mixed striking and grappling, and chaining things together.
the idea he didn't need to pass herring is absurd. almost none of the damage against herring was from full guard.
I thought the disagreement was on his gnp? I don’t remember “gnp Fedor used from full guard” being the topic, and I don’t know why it would matter. Francis have a great open guard game?

Ngannu is Bob Sapp 2.0

Ngannu knocked out a decent kickboxer.
Bob demolished a better one twice.

Ngannu dominated then gassed vs the best HW he faced.
Sapp did the same with Nog.

Actually Sapp >>> Ngannu

It is funny to see Sherdoggers impressed with Ngannu's bum tier striking.

lol. he's 15-3 in mma. sapp has zero good wins in mma. none. the idea that there's any comparability is a joke.

I thought the disagreement was on his gnp? I don’t remember “gnp Fedor used from full guard” being the topic, and I don’t know why it would matter. Francis have a great open guard game?

he had the best gnp in the history of the game. Period. He generated more torque with punches in his opponents guard than anyone I've ever seen. He didn't need to pass

this was what i reacted to.

he had the best gnp in the history of the game. Period. He generated more torque with punches in his opponents guard than anyone I've ever seen. He didn't need to pass

You just called his GnP overrated generally though and seemed to imply he'd need to be GnPing Ngannou from guard.

The reality is in order to hold Fedor in guard it needed to be fucking good, I don't see much evidence Francis's guard is that good, certainly not in the Stipe fight.

You just called his GnP overrated generally though and seemed to imply he'd need to be GnPing Ngannou from guard.

The reality is in order to hold Fedor in guard it needed to be fucking good, I don't see much evidence Francis's guard is that good, certainly not in the Stipe fight.
but he survived 5 rounds and stipe himself has among the best gnp in mma history too.

but he survived 5 rounds and stipe himself has among the best gnp in mma history too.

I can't really agree with that, he finished Reem on the ground I spose but Allistair was already badly rocked to the degree he basically fell over.

Besides that its the Hunt fight which was really more a case of Mark gassing terribly on short notice and indeed that's really what Stipe was doing to Ngannou as well, not pushing very hard for a finish but rather forcing him to carry his weight to tire him out.

Fedor/Mirko was somewhat on those lines as well, he was throwing some GnP but he spent a lot of the time on the ground stacking Mirko up to tire him out and it worked.

Last edited:
And let's not forget Fujita stunning Fedor badly...and Ngannou hits much harder that Fujita and would've swarmed/finished him in the same scenario. But of course the Pride nostalgists don't want to acknowledge such things.

A fighter gets rocked once in 10 years and you somehow turn that to a weakness instead of strength? Yes, ofc Ngannou would KO Fedor if he lands a clean bomb on him, but that Fujita fight only highlights how difficult that was to do against prime Fedor, since it was the only time it happened in 10 years.

I can't really agree with that, he finished Reem on the ground I spose but Allistair was already badly rocked to the degree he basically fell over.

Besides that its the Hunt fight which was really more a case of Mark gassing terribly on short notice and indeed that's really what Stipe was doing to Ngannou as well, not pushing very hard for a finish but rather forcing him to carry his weight to tire him out.

Fedor/Mirko was somewhat on those lines as well, he was throwing some GnP but he spent a lot of the time on the ground stacking Mirko up to tire him out and it worked.
overeem was brutal, no way around it. hunt was a beat down, but del rosario was fuckin brutal.

overeem was brutal, no way around it. hunt was a beat down, but del rosario was fuckin brutal.

As I said though Reem was already pretty much done, didn't offer any real defence, Hunt was really more tiring someone out slowly rather than beating the fight out of him with devastating GnP.

My guess would be if Fedor got Ngannou down he'd end up on his back throwing GnP then looking for that RnC.

I see, my bad.
I saw this quote:
c'mon, his gnp is way inflated because of one fight where nog played an open guard in their first fight. cro-cop took little damage on the ground for half the fight.
And it seemed like Fedor’s overall gnp game was being criticized due to the way Nog fought in their first fight, which I don’t think is accurate. I think it’s a tough debate, because Ngannou does have very good TDD. But Fedor also has a pretty high takedown accuracy over the course of his career. And as I said, he’s a Master of Sport in sambo, and a black belt in judo. Ngannou is a big dude who trains MMA. Black belt in nothing, no wrestling background to speak of. It would be interesting to see it play out.

Typical Pride fanboy response. Yea I get wet for him and all WME fighters.

That farce of an organization folded 13 years ago for a reason.

Every time I meet someone like you on these forums, a punk bitch, I feel sorry for you cause I know you're mentally unstable and you have a shit life.

You panic like a bitch.

You're a nobody and that did not change today after these series of angry replies.

I'm a nobody too, I just don't mind it.

And it seemed like Fedor’s overall gnp game was being criticized due to the way Nog fought in their first fight, which I don’t think is accurate. I think it’s a tough debate, because Ngannou does have very good TDD. But Fedor also has a pretty high takedown accuracy over the course of his career. And as I said, he’s a Master of Sport in sambo, and a black belt in judo. Ngannou is a big dude who trains MMA. Black belt in nothing, no wrestling background to speak of. It would be interesting to see it play out.

His post also really ignores why Nog had an open guard, as if a high level BJJ player somehow forgot to close in. In reality Nog went with the open guard because it allowed him more offence, more openings for subs from the bottom and sweeps. Fedor's success was built on avoiding those attempts and making sure he threw his GnP at the right moment and from the right distance, something he obviously did not do vs Werdum.

His post also really ignores why Nog had an open guard, as if a high level BJJ player somehow forgot to close in. In reality Nog went with the open guard because it allowed him more offence, more openings for subs from the bottom and sweeps. Fedor's success was built on avoiding those attempts and making sure he threw his GnP at the right moment and from the right distance, something he obviously did not do vs Werdum.
Yeah I’m almost certain I’ve seen his opinion on this before. Acting like Fedor is considered to have good gnp solely because of how Nog fought in one fight completely ignores that Fedor also brutalized Schilt, Herring, TK, and Rizzo on the ground (just off the top of my head). And while he didn’t bust up Mirko as bad as others, he owned him on the ground, and finished fights with gnp as recently as when he fought Chael. There’s no doubt he has some of the best gnp work ever.

Back