Prime Fedor vs Prime Stipe

I think Cro Cop matches up with Stipe better in terms of style.

Reactions: G10
We all agree that Prime Fedor would murder Prime Stipe right?

So why so many people arguing that Stipe is HW goat? Because of his UFC run mostly?

Prime Fedor was around 2006. Prime Stipe was around 2017. There was no way for them to fight in their primes. If they fought in 2006 Fedor wins easily. If they fought in 2017 Stipe wins easily.

Stipe is too good all around. Fedor had an all time run obviously. Nostalgia for the past is understandable, but Stipe would win 7 out of 10 fights vs. Fedor prime vs. prime.

You guys have got. To. Give it a rest with this 'prime back in the day guy beats prime current guy'. No matter what optics and your love for the old guy tell you, the likelihood is no, the new guy wins. Everyone got better, better fight IQ, more tools for defence, better game planning and the list goes on. Fedor may win 4/10 adainst Stipe, but then turn around and lose every fight against DC who Stipe beats. All of a sudden we don't care so much about Fedor and look who's back on top the mountain.
We all agree that Prime Fedor would murder Prime Stipe right?

So why so many people arguing that Stipe is HW goat? Because of his UFC run mostly?
what is PRIME Fedor? Do yourself a favor, look at his record, really look at it though. Then try to find 5 fights in a row against notable HWs. Fedor simply didn't have the talent to compete against that current fighters do. Everybody he beat, I would expect DC, Stipe, healthy Cain, Francis and probably even Jones to beat.

Last edited:
Stipe is too good all around. Fedor had an all time run obviously. Nostalgia for the past is understandable, but Stipe would win 7 out of 10 fights vs. Fedor prime vs. prime.
Lmao at Stipe being the one that is too well rounded for the other. Fedor beat Big Nog on the ground and Cro Cop on the feet in their primes. Stipe would lose due to Fedor being far more well rounded.

Not sure if that's what's happening here, but saying that a 2018 Stipe could beat a 2002 Fedor is not the same as saying that Stipe is the GOAT.

Fedor being HW goat is inarguable.

Someone on a run as the undisputed top HW for 8 to 9 years is going to be difficult to ever eclipse.

The fight game evolving and better fighters coming along is the same as what happens in every sport since the beginning of time.

Fedor beats Stipe

Cain beats Fedor

DC beats Fedor

I agree about the hypothetical matchups between Fedor vs Stipe and Cain. However, I'm not so sure DC, even prime version, would've beaten prime Fedor. DC's greatest advantage over every heavyweight he ever fought was his speed, and Fedor at his best was likely as fast, if not faster, than DC. He certainly hit much harder, and he was a much better submission grappler. DC would've likely been able to out wrestle him, but I could picture Fedor snatching up his arm in a scramble. It would've been a great fight to see back in the day if the two fought in Strikeforce or Affliction!

Reug Reug beat both of them. End of the thread.

I agree about the hypothetical matchups between Fedor vs Stipe and Cain. However, I'm not so sure DC, even prime version, would've beaten prime Fedor. DC's greatest advantage over every heavyweight he ever fought was his speed, and Fedor at his best was likely as fast, if not faster, than DC. He certainly hit much harder, and he was a much better submission grappler. DC would've likely been able to out wrestle him, but I could picture Fedor snatching up his arm in a scramble. It would've been a great fight to see back in the day if the two fought in Strikeforce or Affliction!

Fedor, great grappler?? Fedor was pure judo/sambo grappler. Do you see anyone today who doesnt do BJJ and is great grappler? Fedor in his great judo grappling skill let 150kg BigFootSilva into full mount so he can reverse him :D

I think a lot of people look at an evolving sport and just assume that relics from the past are inferior. But that's like saying Ali couldn't have competed against boxers today because the sport "changed".
But sports, including MMA, do change, most notably in training methods, where MMA has evolved exponentially over the years since Fedor's prime. Even without considering the freely flowing juice in Pride, top 15 fighters today are stronger, quicker, more well rounded, and have better cardio than champions in Pride ever had.

If Fedor's the GOAT it's because of how much better he was than other fighters fighting during his prime and how long his prime was, and that's a fine way to argue for the GOAT. But if prime Fedor showed up at a 16 man tournament with the top 15 heavyweights in the world today, he'd be the #16 seed.

Prime Fedor struggled with Bret Rodgers and got layed flat by 40 year old Dan Henderson. He's not only the biggest myth in MMA history, he's the biggest myth in combat sports history. He was pretty fast and heavy handed, so it's possible that he could catch Stipe, but 9 out of 10 times, Stipe wins easily. If Stipe felt threatened on the feet, he could just take him down and manhandle him. Fedors game off his back is incredibly overhyped, unless your a wrestler from the early days of MMA who has no idea what's going on on the ground, you're not going to be in any real danger of being subbed.

Fedor, great grappler?? Fedor was pure judo/sambo grappler. Do you see anyone today who doesnt do BJJ and is great grappler? Fedor in his great judo grappling skill let 150kg BigFootSilva into full mount so he can reverse him :D
He won bronze in Judo national championships though. That puts his judo at the level of an Olympic alternate, which is pretty damn good. Fedor was an excellent grappler.

He won bronze in Judo national championships though. That puts his judo at the level of an Olympic alternate, which is pretty damn good. Fedor was an excellent grappler.
I never said he isnt elite judoka, i said judo grappling isnt good for MMA. How many ppl in MMA today you see escape full mount?

Its hard to TD rounded fighters with judo and even harder to reverse them from full mount. Same like wrestlers who like to give their back because in wrestling there is no chokes and hits. In MMA you cant give back to opponent who knows BJJ.

Pride/Emelianenko haters and/or recency bias.

The fact that several of Miocic's opponents were defeated by Emelianenko ten years prior is proof enough how weak of a division Miocic has reigned over.
They have common opponents and Fedor looked much worse against them than Stipe. Stipe beat Hunt and Arlovski more convincingly than Fedor and he beat Werdum who submitted Fedor. And no, it has nothing to do with prime, but with Fedor being an overconfident dumbass to follow Werdum to the ground. That’s called low fight IQ

I never said he isnt elite judoka, i said judo grappling isnt good for MMA. How many ppl in MMA today you see escape full mount?

Its hard to TD rounded fighters with judo and even harder to reverse them from full mount. Same like wrestlers who like to give their back because in wrestling there is no chokes and hits. In MMA you cant give back to opponent who knows BJJ.
I think it depends. Like you said, Fedor is a high level judoka and sambo practitioner. You asked “ Do you see anyone today who doesn’t do BJJ and is a great grappler?”
How about:
Khabib
Islam Makachev
Every other fighter from Dagestan

I’m sure they train *some* BJJ, but that’s not where their skill comes from. They’re sambo fighters. During the Khabib-Barboza fight, Joe Rogan praised Khabib’s “next level ground and pound” when all he was doing was the same thing Fedor did to Herring and Nog 18 years ago. Sambo is clearly pretty effective in MMA even today. As for mount, remember that Bigfoot also outweighed Fedor by 45 lbs or so. Against Chael, even an old, injured, shopworn Fedor baited him into mount and then swept him.

They have common opponents and Fedor looked much worse against them than Stipe. Stipe beat Hunt and Arlovski more convincingly than Fedor and he beat Werdum who submitted Fedor. And no, it has nothing to do with prime, but with Fedor being an overconfident dumbass to follow Werdum to the ground. That’s called low fight IQ
What about the other fighter’s prime? Arlovski in particular was pretty well past it by the time Stipe fought him.
And if we’re going to blast Fedor’s poor fight IQ against Werdum, shouldn’t we blast Werdum’s poor fight IQ against Stipe?

Let's put it this way....

If a gun were to the head of all of these Sherdoggers with their life riding on the outcome, I guarantee you the polls are going to show Prime Fedor with a resounding 98% approval rating.

Back