Prime Izzy vs Prime Anderson Silva?

USAwrestling532

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I’m sure this thread has been done before but I don’t care. I’m starting a new one. Can you separate the Anderson Silva nostalgia factor from the technical comparison between both Silva and Adesanya? And if so, who wins and why?

don’t make it just as simplistic as “Israel barely beat him past his prime. what do Silva would do to Izzy in his prime years? there’s gotta be more to it than that.

Anderson was just a little more dynamic in there. I think he's a better athlete than Izzy. While Izzy might have a small edge defensively, I don't think he could hurt Anderson the same way Anderson could hurt him. Could be another staring contest, but I think Anderson would catch him eventually in a 5 rounder.

Boring af decision. Izzy edging it with pitter patter leg kicks.

Anderson kills him. Izzy is just a less rounded, Walmart version of him. It’s likely a boring as hell fight but Izzy has nothing for any form of Silva other than a 45 year old, totally washed one.

Joe & DC would lose their shit over all the feints.
Silva is the better fighter and would probably win, but it would be a low-paced tactical affair either could steal rounds with just a little more output so probably end in a close decision.

I’m sure this thread has been done before but I don’t care. I’m starting a new one. Can you separate the Anderson Silva nostalgia factor from the technical comparison between both Silva and Adesanya? And if so, who wins and why?

don’t make it just as simplistic as “Israel barely beat him past his prime. what do Silva would do to Izzy in his prime years? there’s gotta be more to it than that.
Prime SIlva ko's Izzy.
He was just faster and more accurate, more diverse in his attack, and more unpredictable.
Izzy is good, but not as good as prime Silva.

Note: I don't think Izzy hit his prime yet though, so this is an unfair comparison for now.

Silva is similar to Jan, big Muay Thai striker. Jan is stronger, Silva is faster. Silva is sharper than Jan, lacks the size. Competitive fight, neither fighter would engage. Silva could use his ground game like in the Henderson fight.

I think i'd slightly favor Anderson, since he's a southpaw, which is the stance that caused Israel the most trouble thus far, but it's still very close.

People think Izzy losing against Jan means he's not that good of a striker, forgetting how much fighting a superior grappler can hinder the superior striker to get his game going, which is why Weidman beat Silva and why Khabib could stand with Conor.

Saying Israel is more one dimensional than Silva isn't true either, Silva had better BJJ, but worse defensive wrestling, so in a way they're even.
(Though personally, i'd say Izzy is more well-rounded.)

Prime Silva takes it.
Silva had better, purposeful striking. He was also much harder to hit and was a nightmare on the ground.
Although Izzy is a great fighter, I'm really not sure what he does much better than prime Silva did.

Prime Yoel mops the floor with them.

You're just discussing who the second best is.
Prime Yoel needed an extra 40 seconds just to make it off the stool for round 3 vs Tim Kennedy of all opponents...

Back