Prime Wanderlei Silva would beat new generation champions

This has to be sarcasm. Jones and Santos destroy him at LHW. Israel, Whittaker, Romero, Costa, Hermansson, Cannonier, and Shahbazyan all kick his ass at MW. He'd have good competitive fights with Smith, Blachowicz, Oezdemir, Anderson, Till, Gastelum, and possibly Brunson.

This has to be sarcasm. Jones and Santos destroy him at LHW. Israel, Whittaker, Romero, Costa, Hermansson, Cannonier, and Shahbazyan all kick his ass at MW. He'd have good competitive fights with Smith, Blachowicz, Oezdemir, Anderson, Till, Gastelum, and possibly Brunson.

the only guys i could see beating him @ MW are Romero and Costa. He axe murders the rest of the guys violently. Jones would beat him though.

wanderlei would win many fights on pure aggression. that alone won't beat everyone, but a good amount for sure. i mean of course the wanderlei of that time would get beaten by the top of today. but the real question to ask, is how would wand do if he grew up today with the training of today? a young wand with that aggressiveness and training would be champion. guaranteed.

Read the article, anyone who watched Wanderlei's career saw a clear decline in his fight IQ. You are basing your opinion on Wanderlei after his fight IQ declined acting as if it never existed. Its like when new fans of MMA claim x fighter who is passed their primes was never any good, you're better than that.

I won't stand behind any fighter no matter what, you're just wrong and you should at least read that article if you aren't going to rewatch any of those fights I listed where Wanderlei showed great fight IQ.

Wanderlei's fight IQ and gameplanning was way better pre Cro Cop 2 than it was post Cro Cop 2, it's super obvious, before that he had a strong jab and kicks that he regularly used to set up his hooks and clinch game and he also would throw in takedowns. After that he did almost nothing but throw hooks at people minus the Bisping fight where he fought smart one last time.

It's the same exact regression of style that Rampage and Fedor went through when they passed their primes and became headhunters too, that doesn't mean they never had good fight IQ or gameplanning.

Rampage 2 is a good example of Wanderlei being more well rounded and having better fight IQ than he did post Cro Cop 2, the reason Wanderlei landed that big hook that rocked Rampage and led to the finish was cause Wanderlei had been landing hard jabs on Rampage so Rampage tried to duck the jab and got caught with the hook.
I'm not trying to be uppity but I dont need to read article- been watching for 20+( I'm 40 now) and I'm just one of those guys who was never that impressed with wand .I believe you're one of the guys who seem to be on same page as me on alot of other topics. So , that said, we'll agree to disagree on this particular topic.
I'm pretty hard nosed on issue so, again, we'll meet up on another topic.

I may have been Wandi’s biggest fan in 2003. His fights were always exciting and absolutely brutal . I believe roided Wandi fighting in Japan was the best LHW at the time , maybe ever. HOWEVER, Jon Jones has surpassed Wandi by leaps and bounds. I will forever love Wandi but Jones is the Goat .

He won by being a pressure brawler, that wouldn't translate well to today's divisions. However, he likely would have adapted to the competition and been more patient and could have success as a killer counter puncher.

LHW is out of the question, he could probably beat everyone except Jon who would school him. At MW he could be the champ. Izzy has gotten KO'd by far lower caliber opponents than Wandy.

It would be great to see no matter the outcome.

giphy.gif

I see you soon boi.

I'm not trying to be uppity but I dont need to read article- been watching for 20+( I'm 40 now) and I'm just one of those guys who was never that impressed with wand .I believe you're one of the guys who seem to be on same page as me on alot of other topics. So , that said, we'll agree to disagree on this particular topic.
I'm pretty hard nosed on issue so, again, we'll meet up on another topic.

I think you should read the article or re-watch those fights cause there was a drastic decline in Wanderlei's fight IQ and gameplanning post Cro Cop 2, it has also happened to many other fighters as they aged like Rampage and Fedor for example. Just cause someone gets worse at something doesn't mean they were always that way.

The only reason I have an issue with this is you seem to be thinking that Prime Wanderlei had the same fight IQ and gameplanning as he did after his prime which isn't even close to accurate. He didn't just decline physically, he didn't use nearly as many of his tools post Cro Cop and didn't fight as smart and it was very apparent just like it was for Rampage and Fedor when they turned into headhuters that didn't really use kicks, takedowns, knees ect anymore and just winged punches.

Prime Liddell KOs him in 1
He couldn't ko a way past prime glass chinned wandy when they fought so what makes you think this? Uber juiced vitor tko is understandable as wandy was not in prime, he was young and new to the ufc. Vitor was k.o. ing everyone w speed and power via juice.
Chuck was never even close to that. He went to pride...got beat up by a 205 overeem before reem gassed. Then got beat down by rampage until his corner threw in the towel. I can still hear his groans when rampage was landing body shots on the ground right be4 they stopped it.
Wandy prime pride would fuck chuck..lol. around like rampage 1 and a few fights be4 he was just the best there was. He didnt have a glass chin then and had amazing recovery. I think wandy, shogun, page, arona. All beat chuck prime vs prime. Prolly little nog as well.
Chuck was a great draw, but way way more over rated than wandy was. Chuck beat mostly 185ers blown up, and never really beat any great lhws. Randy..but in his prime chuck never really fought anyone great in the ufc, because all the great guys were in pride. Their records arent even close. Wandy beat up some 185ers as well, like saku, or kondo..but also had huge balls to fight guys like hunt, mirko..etc. he was a small 205 to begin with, so fighting hws is huge. Hunt couldn't ko him nor could mirko in the 1st fight...yet chuck could??? No way..

He couldn't ko a way past prime glass chinned wandy when they fought so what makes you think this? Uber juiced vitor tko is understandable as wandy was not in prime, he was young and new to the ufc. Vitor was k.o. ing everyone w speed and power via juice.
Chuck was never even close to that. He went to pride...got beat up by a 205 overeem before reem gassed. Then got beat down by rampage until his corner threw in the towel. I can still hear his groans when rampage was landing body shots on the ground right be4 they stopped it.
Wandy prime pride would fuck chuck..lol. around like rampage 1 and a few fights be4 he was just the best there was. He didnt have a glass chin then and had amazing recovery. I think wandy, shogun, page, arona. All beat chuck prime vs prime. Prolly little nog as well.
Chuck was a great draw, but way way more over rated than wandy was. Chuck beat mostly 185ers blown up, and never really beat any great lhws. Randy..but in his prime chuck never really fought anyone great in the ufc, because all the great guys were in pride. Their records arent even close. Wandy beat up some 185ers as well, like saku, or kondo..but also had huge balls to fight guys like hunt, mirko..etc. he was a small 205 to begin with, so fighting hws is huge. Hunt couldn't ko him nor could mirko in the 1st fight...yet chuck could??? No way..

Liddell was one of the best anti-grapplers and Pride had way more talent at 205 than the UFC with more high level strikers. I think if Liddell had to fight guys like Shogun, Wand, Lil Nog, Arona and the other top 205ers in Pride rather than the guys in the UFC he would have lost a lot more. Same for Couture and Tito, UFC didn't really have any really top level guys beyond those 3(next best guy was Babalu who was a pretty big step down).

I think I would favor Liddell over Arona though prime for prime, however Arona could kick him to the ground(like he did to Overeem and Wanderlei) as his low kicks were amazing. I think in a octagon Liddell would have a bigger edge cause Arona liked bouncing people off the ropes to get takedowns(can't do that with a cage) and Liddell would have a lot more room to keep Arona at kickboxing range.

LMFAOOOOOO Even juiced to the gills Wandy would get crushed by a top 10 guy in any division he's ever fought in. He's never had good head movement. He still can't help but flail his hooks and telegraph the hell out of them.

Reminder: Prime Wandy lost to Tito. LMAO.

Listen, I love Wand. I'm a Wand fan for life. But I'm not delusional about his capabilities either. If Bisping had more power, he would've KO'd Wand.

I think there are a lot of delusional Wanderlei Silva fans but I know he has a rabid fan base and it is sherdog.

Back