Prime Yushin Okami vs Yoel Romero, 3 rounds.

I think Yoel would use his bones for soup

Chael Sonnen grappledfucked him. Wonder what Romero would do.
That's a fair point, but Yoel doesn't really use top positional control in MMA as much as spam takedowns whenever he wants them. He doesn't even really defend takedowns sometimes either; somewhat bizarre actually. I can see him scooping up Okami repeatedly if he wanted to though. He hasn't really used his wrestling much since he fought Brad Tavares if I recall correct.

Okami was quite the force at MW, a few years ago. A fight with Romero would've been quite interesting IMO. Okami was quite physically strong and would've held his own in the grappling exchanges.

I think Romero would get the KO/TKO in the 3rd with a big strike and follow up punches.

Probably wouldn't take that long for Romero to get the knockout.

That's a fair point, but Yoel doesn't really use top positional control in MMA as much as spam takedowns whenever he wants them. He doesn't even really defend takedowns sometimes either; somewhat bizarre actually. I can see him scooping up Okami repeatedly if he wanted to though. He hasn't really used his wrestling much since he fought Brad Tavares if I recall correct.

True but in this particular case, Sonnen was unable to use top positional control on Okami either. He scored TDs but Yushin scrambled back up to his feet each time rather quicly. Okami was an extremely hard guy to hold down.

Anyways, Romero's punching power and ability to take a punch are way better than Okami's so it would be the defining factor imo

Sea level Romero , pre USADA Romero ,tainted supplements Romero, stool Romero ,... ???

You'll have to be more specific for me to throw in the opinions
Stool gate or soft stool romero be more speciffic

Everyone at MW is the correct answer.

Many 185lbers dropped to WW and quickly climbed to the top of the ranks at 170 as well, so either middleweights didnt suck that much as you say or WW sucked about as much as MW.

Nobody beat Romero via takedowns. The path would be outstriking him from long range and while Okami was underrated in that aspect, he would still get KTFO by Romero 100%
Nope but Brunson sure wrestlefucked Romero for 2 of 3 rounds when they fought.

Romero doesn't have near the MMA wrestling to match his on-paper accolades.

Nope but Brunson sure wrestlefucked Romero for 2 of 3 rounds when they fought.

Romero doesn't have near the MMA wrestling to match his on-paper accolades.

Man some people always bring that Brunson fight...

1. If you can find only one example to support a point...not a good sign. Others would have followed Brunson's path if the path were there.
2. Yoel had not even 10 mma fights back then. Obviously polished his mma game from there.
3. Brunson still lost the fight, got finished.

Romero is not the best mma wrestler, mainly because his ground game is not on par with his TDs so people is able to scramble back up, but he is certainly not a vulnerable guy to be outwrestled

Man some people always bring that Brunson fight...

1. If you can find only one example to support a point...not a good sign. Others would have followed Brunson's path if the path were there.
2. Yoel had not even 10 mma fights back then. Obviously polished his mma game from there.
3. Brunson still lost the fight, got finished.

Romero is not the best mma wrestler, mainly because his ground game is not on par with his TDs so people is able to scramble back up, but he is certainly not a vulnerable guy to be outwrestled
So because I put out a perfectly valid example of him being outwrestled by a guy that actually tried to wrestle with him, means nothing?

Mind giving examples of any other fights he's had where guys tried to wrestle him during his UFC run? Pretty sure broken Weidman is the only other guy.

So because I put out a perfectly valid example of him being outwrestled by a guy that actually tried to wrestle with him, means nothing?

Mind giving examples of any other fights he's had where guys tried to wrestle him during his UFC run? Pretty sure broken Weidman is the only other guy.

Hey can you try to discuss without sounding like you are 10 or so?

"perfectly valid example" you say like a prick. An example from his 7th pro fight where actually finished his opponent.

Kennedy, Jacare, Weidman and Rockhold are all top-notch grapplers that like the fight to take place in the ground. If they didnt against Romero is because they found out that the Brunson precedent from Yoel's 7th pro fight wasnt such a "perfectly valid example" you retard

Last edited:
Yoel would win. Okami lost to Anderson Silva twice, while Romero KO'd Weidman, who defeated Silva on two occasions.

I hate to bring rain down on people trying to be creative with hypothetical match ups( especially during these times) but I feel it's my duty. One guy was never elite and one guy was. Even stylistically ( giving benefit/doubt of an upset)- one guy didnt do one thing better than the other guy ( well- maybe one thing ).

mw yushin doesnt make it out of 1st round.

TBH i think hes a good fighter but i really dont see why people are hyping him as some sort of monster. Rockhold beats him, Whitaker probably beats him and probably even mousasi. Hell i would even bet on Weidman in a rematch honestly.

This didnt age well.

LMAOOOOOOOO<Lmaoo><Lmaoo><Lmaoo><Lmaoo>

troll thread

Romero would KO him within 2 rounds. Okami would be terrified and freeze up like he does in most big fights

I hate to bring rain down on people trying to be creative with hypothetical match ups( especially during these times) but I feel it's my duty. One guy was never elite and one guy was. Even stylistically ( giving benefit/doubt of an upset)- one guy didnt do one thing better than the other guy ( well- maybe one thing ).

mw yushin doesnt make it out of 1st round.

Okami was certainly elite back in the day, at least as much as Brunson or Kennedy who gave him tough fights and make him out of 1st round. Or Tavares.

Back