Prime Yushin Okami vs Yoel Romero, 3 rounds.

Okami was certainly elite back in the day, at least as much as Brunson or Kennedy who gave him tough fights and make him out of 1st round. Or Tavares.
We just have different views of what elite is.
No bigs.

Okami got as far as being ranked in top 5 of a thin division ( at time)..... and not for any lengthy period of time.

You referenced D.Brunson ( I'm only going by how u used his name ) as being " elite " off the branch of Okami " certainly elite back in the day ".

* If you're going to call these guys elite then you and I have a rather huge gap in the meaning of elite . Going by that , then there is an awful lot of elite and ex elite fighters out there. To be considered an elite fighter is an honor in my book and must maintain upper crust status for quite a period of time. I dont/didnt consider Kennedy " elite" either.

We just have different views of what elite is.
No bigs.

Okami got as far as being ranked in top 5 of a thin division ( at time)..... and not for any lengthy period of time.

You referenced D.Brunson ( I'm only going by how u used his name ) as being " elite " off the branch of Okami " certainly elite back in the day ".

* If you're going to call these guys elite then you and I have a rather huge gap in the meaning of elite . Going by that , then there is an awful lot of elite and ex elite fighters out there. To be considered an elite fighter is an honor in my book and must maintain upper crust status for quite a period of time. I dont/didnt consider Kennedy " elite" either.

Im guessing what you consider elite is basically the all-time greats. Those who are in GOAT dicussions, at least in their division. Then I agree, Okami is not quite there.

Now, we have seen Okami vs Shields/Marquardt/Franklin/Lombard/Munoz/Belcher/Swick among others and has a strong case for having beat all those guys. That qualify you as elite.

Regarding your assesment of Okami being "top5 in a thin division", if you want to bash the state of mma back then cool but don't use the excuse of the "thin division",

Many of the guys Okami beat were also top ranked at WW.
Okami actually did beat top5 WW Jake Shields in a WW bout - Okami won that fight, even the American crowd booed the decission in favour of the American fighter - so Yushin was top5 material in his day, at MW or WW depending on how much water he was willing to cut for the weight-in

Last edited:
Im guessing what you consider elite is basically the all-time greats. Those who are in GOAT dicussions, at least in their division. Then I agree, Okami is not quite there.

Now, we have seen Okami vs Shields/Marquardt/Franklin/Lombard/Munoz/Belcher/Swick among others and has a strong case for having beat all those guys. That qualify you as elite.

Regarding your assesment of Okami being "top5 in a thin division", if you want to bash the state of mma back then cool but don't use the excuse of the "thin division",

Many of the guys Okami beat were also top ranked at WW.
Okami actually did beat top5 Jake Shields in a WW bout - Okami won that fight, even the American crowd booed the decission in favour of the American fighter - he was top5 material, at MW or WW depending on how much water he was willing to cut for the weight-in
There are goats...
There are elites ....

Then there is fairly broad " central body " of fighters that are good / very good fighters but not quite " elite ".

I'm not going to get into it cause I already see itll be of a futile nature . I can give 2-3 textbook meanings of elites ( and examples to go with but it will be lengthy and I really dont feel like typing a short novel ). That's me .... and my opinion. Who the fuck am I to say ? ------ even though I AM saying and stand firmly behind it.

Munoz, Belcher , Lombard, Swick ???? ( I'm not putting words in your mouth but the way you're using them , I have to wonder..... and he lost to Rich).

If I brought an adjudicator in to sort u and I out- hed just read first 2 posts ( you and i) and hed pick up his brief( case) and just walk the fuck out .

You're entitled to what u deem elite - I'm just too far off from your opinion..... and that's ok.

There are goats...
There are elites ....

Then there is fairly broad " central body " of fighters that are good / very good fighters but not quite " elite ".

I'm not going to get into it cause I already see itll be of a futile nature . I can give 2-3 textbook meanings of elites ( and examples to go with but it will be lengthy and I really dont feel like typing a short novel ). That's me .... and my opinion. Who the fuck am I to say ? ------ even though I AM saying and stand firmly behind it.

Munoz, Belcher , Lombard, Swick ???? ( I'm not putting words in your mouth but the way you're using them , I have to wonder..... and he lost to Rich).

If I brought an adjudicator in to sort u and I out- hed just read first 2 posts ( you and i) and hed pick up his brief( case) and just walk the fuck out .

You're entitled to what u deem elite - I'm just too far off from your opinion..... and that's ok.

I mean, you say dont want to write a short novel but you have just write a fairly long post without saying NOTHING xD

You didn't adress your statement about Okami being top5 only in a "thin division", which is false as I exposed with arguments instead of loose talk as you do

"and he lost to Rich"...that's the closest you got to asses anything in your post. Did you actually watch the fight? It was a flip coin. Okami did way more to beat Shields than Franklin did to beat Okami for example

If you think there are GOATs... then there are elites...and then you have the top5 fighters then you are pretty clueless.

And be honest, you won't adress none of this because your theory is weak as fuck rather than because you don't want to write a short novel lol

I mean, you say dont want to write a short novel but you have just write a fairly long post without saying NOTHING xD

You didn't adress your statement about Okami being top5 only in a "thin division", which is false as I exposed with arguments instead of loose talk as you do

"and he lost to Rich"...that's the closest you got to asses anything in your post. Did you actually watch the fight? It was a flip coin. Okami did way more to beat Shields than Franklin did to beat Okami for example

If you think there are GOATs... then there are elites...and then you have the top5 fighters then you are pretty clueless.

And be honest, you won't adress none of this because your theory is weak as fuck rather than because you don't want to write a short novel lol
I'm so trying to be nice/ respectful and not embarrass you ( but u wont take it as an embarrassment, you'll just continue with what I consider silly nonsense).
Short novel and my post ( which wasnt long at all) are 2 different worlds.
If you want to consider yushin okami a former " elite " .... good for you. I dont like repeating myself - he was barely a top 5 fighter for a short period of time in a thin division. That statement , alone, covers a ton of fighters. What was so great about yushin okami ? His claim to fame was getting his arse kicked in a dq that went his way. He then FINALLY got t.shot ( against that same guy)to quiet his detractors and was thoroughly embarrassed.

What was so impressive about yushin okami ? .....lol, as far as " elite" goes ?

I'll end in this pretty quick. In yushin okami's pretty lengthy career, he has one big win over someone upper crust AT THAT TIME and that was the Marquadt win.......and in hindsight, we saw how good Nate really was. He is in that same " central body" of fighters that I would consider a former solid fighter.....like Yushin.
Neither are / were elite. Marquadt, for a cup of coffee in a thin division, maybe was considered " elite " but again- for a cup of coffee and in hindsight. ..he just wasnt.

he was barely a top 5 fighter for a short period of time in a thin division. That statement , alone, covers a ton of fighters.

That statement alone was already exposed as False. You know it - you reply avoiding address it - then you repeat the statement.
If you dont want to write a short novel cool, but be honest in the discussion

Okami was elite because he faced a good number of elite fighters across more than a decade and he showed to be on that level, regardless of controversial decissions

You pretending than losing to one of the best fighters of all time if not the best in Silva is somehow and evidence of Okami not being elite pretty much shows where your level of discussion is at. Not sure if dishonest or just clueless at this point.
By the way, the fact that Okami fought the mentioned GOAT during his prime not once but twice is actually more of a indicator that such guy was elite

I'll end in this pretty quick. In yushin okami's pretty lengthy career, he has one big win over someone upper crust AT THAT TIME and that was the Marquadt win.......and in hindsight, we saw how good Nate really was. He is in that same " central body" of fighters that I would consider a former solid fighter.....like Yushin.
Neither are / were elite. Marquadt, for a cup of coffee in a thin division, maybe was considered " elite " but again- for a cup of coffee and in hindsight. ..he just wasnt.

You keep parroting the "thin division" argument, which has been already exposed, now regarding a guy who dropped to WW and right away became champion...well done, Franklin

That statement alone was already exposed as False. You know it - you reply avoiding address it - then you repeat the statement.
If you dont want to write a short novel cool, but be honest in the discussion

Okami was elite because he faced a good number of elite fighters across more than a decade and he showed to be on that level, regardless of controversial decissions

You pretending than losing to one of the best fighters of all time if not the best in Silva is somehow and evidence of Okami not being elite pretty much shows where your level of discussion is at. Not sure if dishonest or just clueless at this point.
By the way, the fact that Okami fought the mentioned GOAT during his prime not once but twice is actually more of a indicator that such guy was elite
Lol- it's not the losing ( it's how he lost - keep up ....again I hate repeating myself).

Listen , you're not getting anywhere with this. Okami has one big win and it turns out that guy turned out to be a palooka ( a solid fighter for a short period but a palooka ( NM).

You remind me of one of these guys who have cheapened the MLB hall of fame.
You put these un-earned labels on guys and it's pretty funny ( actually- its not).

Lol- it's not the losing ( it's how he lost - keep up ....again I hate repeating myself).

Listen , you're not getting anywhere with this. Okami has one big win and it turns out that guy turned out to be a palooka ( a solid fighter for a short period but a palooka ( NM).

You remind me of one of these guys who have cheapened the MLB hall of fame.
You put these un-earned labels on guys and it's pretty funny ( actually- its not).

No idea what a palooka is, have never seen MLB or any baseball match in my life, and indeed you repeat yourself with pretentious and weak arguments.
By the way nobody is getting anywhere with any discussion in shertard lol

Just for the sake of exposing one more time the kind of weak approach to the matter you have, I will address this statement from you:

"Okami has one big win and it turns out that guy turned out to be a palooka"

First of all, you just display textbook shertard style of drawing conclussios from looking at the W/L column on fight finder instead of the actual fights, otherwise his fights with Shields or Franklin would be relevant to you as much as his fight with Marquardt when adressing wheter if Okami was elite or not.
But you dont actually watched the fights, you just checked the fight finder, and you build your opinions on that. You have made it clear enough by this point.

Marquard a "palooka", the guy who KOed Maia or Woodley among many others, wtf that even mean ffs

No idea what a palooka is, have never seen MLB or any baseball match in my life, and indeed you repeat yourself with pretentious and weak arguments.
By the way nobody is getting anywhere with any discussion in shertard lol

Just for the sake of exposing one more time the kind of weak approach to the matter you have, I will address this statement from you:

"Okami has one big win and it turns out that guy turned out to be a palooka"

First of all, you just display textbook shertard style of drawing conclussios from looking at the W/L column on fight finder instead of the actual fights, otherwise his fights with Shields or Franklin would be relevant to you as much as his fight with Marquardt when adressing wheter if Okami was elite or not.
But you dont actually watched the fights, you just checked the fight finder, and you build your opinions on that. You have made it clear enough by this point.

Marquard a "palooka", the guy who KOed Maia or Woodley among many others, wtf that even mean ffs
Fightfinder guy ? Lol .. u got the wrong guy but keep on amusing me. I've been watching this great sport for 21 years.
You're a fight fan and u dont know what a palooka is ?
You saying Marquadt ko ed mw maia ( during that short period) as it was some great feat speaks volumes . You pick out just about any decent fighter, call out a good win or 2 and call him elite.
You really need to get educated.
Lol - did you really just say baseball match ?
Did that just happen ?
Am I awake?

On a scale from 1-10 , I rate the career of yushin okami a solid 7. That's just not " elite" in my book.

Dude - you're not getting anywhere and using the typical " fightfinder " come back makes you look desperate.
Quit while you're not ahead.

Fightfinder guy ? Lol .. u got the wrong guy but keep on amusing me. I've been watching this great sport for 21 years.
You're a fight fan and u dont know what a palooka is ?
You saying Marquadt ko ed mw maia ( during that short period) as it was some great feat speaks volumes . You pick out just about any decent fighter, call out a good win or 2 and call him elite.
You really need to get educated.
Lol - did you really just say baseball match ?
Did that just happen ?
Am I awake?

Im not American and English is not my first language.
Dont know what a palooka means. MLB isnt the baseball league? I dont know. Dont give a fuck either

Marquard has plenty of good wins in his career, which started in 1999 by the way. Certainly regarded as en elite fighter by GSP himself, among many others, who was regular sparring partner of him. I guess he should pay attention to what elitist sherbro Franklin has to say about the matter lol

On a scale from 1-10 , I rate the career of yushin okami a solid 7. That's just not " elite" in my book.

Dude - you're not getting anywhere and using the typical " fightfinder " come back makes you look desperate..

If beating Shields means literally as much as if it had never happened when assesing the quality of a fighter for the mere reason that it doesnt stand in the W column, is indeed a fighter finder guy as far as I can tell.
I have a different approach. I dont expect you to agree. If that's "your book", keep assesing careers just based on W/L column, good for you.

Cringey, and prettty nerdy if you ask me lol

Last edited:
Im not American and English is not my first language.
Dont know what a palooka means. MLB isnt the baseball league? I dont know. Dont give a fuck either

Marquard has plenty of good wins in his career, which started in 1999 by the way. Certainly regarded as en elite fighter by GSP himself, among many others, who was regular sparring partner of him. I guess he should pay attention to what elitist sherbro Franklin has to say about the matter lol

If beating Shields means literally as much as if it had never happened when assesing the quality of a fighter for the mere reason that it doesnt stand in the W column, is indeed a fighter finder guy as far as I can tell.
I have a different approach. I dont expect you to agree. If that's "your book", keep assesing careers just based on W/L column, good for you.

Cringey, and prettty nerdy if you ask me lol
Lol - I could give a fuck what gsp thinks of a guy HE TRAINED with at one point. Chael Sonnen thought Yushin Okami was the greatest, bestest thing since sliced bread cause yushin chose to train with him and, lmfao, predicted okami to wipe the floors with Anderson. Good call ( just making point on your silly gsp comment and who really knows what he thought of him[ nm] ).

Btw, u keep on bringing up Jake Shields .
Jake was an elite grappler. He threw/throws punches like my 11 year old daughter throws a softball.....left handed ( shes a righty).

All of this cause you think yushin fucking okami was an elite .
Dude - good for u. I disagree and by a distance.

I really dont want to do this with u anymore cause I'm going to end up saying something really arrogant ( or - at least- it's going to come across that way and I really dont want to dis respect u. You're entitled to your opinion......lets leave it at that)

Btw, u keep on bringing up Jake Shields .
Jake was an elite grappler. He threw/throws punches like my 11 year old daughter throws a softball.....left handed ( shes a righty).

All of this cause you think yushin fucking okami was an elite .
Dude - good for u. I disagree and by a distance.

So Jake Shields wasnt elite neither, a guy who dominated Henderson around the same time he KOed Fedor no less.
Regarding my opinion about you as a fight finder guy, it has been clearly exposed and Im glad watching you have not response to it lol

I really dont want to do this with u anymore cause I'm going to end up saying something really arrogant ( or - at least- it's going to come across that way and I really dont want to dis respect u. You're entitled to your opinion......lets leave it at that)

hahaha dont know if arrogant - actually pretty much - but you are certainly coming across as a nerd saying this kind of things in an online forum, no offense

So Jake Shields wasnt elite neither, a guy who dominated Henderson around the same time he KOed Fedor no less.
Regarding my opinion about you as a fight finder guy, it has been clearly exposed and Im glad watching you have not response to it lol

hahaha dont know if arrogant - actually pretty much - but you are certainly coming across as a nerd saying this kind of things in an online forum, no offense
Stop putting words in my mouth. You know what I said and I stand by it. You keep on referencing these minute period of times on every fighter. You think every fighter is elite. Jake was an elite grappler and did ,lol, frustrate a true elite in Dan Henderson ( but,lmfao, couldnt hurt him-just tried to make a baby with him)..... and that's one fight ...... one upset . Actually I do consider Jake an elite ( overall) at one point in his career but at the bottom rungs of elite ladder( stop putting words in my mouth - u look desperate...again)
What is this " nerd" stuff? How old are u ?

I get it, you think everyone who has a winning record or fought for a title is an elite .
You're mma acumen is poor and once again, u truly need an education but u are entitled to your opinion.

Stop putting words in my mouth. You know what I said and I stand by it. You keep on referencing these minute period of times on every fighter. You think every fighter is elite. Jake was an elite grappler and did ,lol, frustrate a true elite in Dan Henderson ( but,lmfao, couldnt hurt him-just tried to make a baby with him)..... and that's one fight ...... one upset . Actually I do consider Jake an elite ( overall) at one point in his career but at the bottom rungs of elite ladder( stop putting words in my mouth - u look desperate...again)

I get it, you think everyone who has a winning record or fought for a title is an elite .
You're mma acumen is poor and once again, u truly need an education but u are entitled to your opinion.

Shields, Okami and Marquardt dont just have a winning record or fought for a title. In the case of Shields and Maquardt they actually won a major org tittle by the way.

They are fighters that remained top5 or close to it for pretty much a decade. They aren't just "good, solid fighters" as you label them. Good, solid fighters were constantly getting beat by them. This is what you don't understand.

They may not be all-time greats but they were certainly elite...they were recognized as such for every fellow fighter - not just training partners - and it's actually pretty ridiculous to see a guy in sherdog not only claiming otherwise but even bragging of having this elitist criteria you have that is not shared by any knowledgeable fan or fighter lol

Indeed, you are entittled to your opinion

What is this " nerd" stuff? How old are u ?
This is off topic.
Dont take it personal, but:

I really dont want to do this with u anymore cause I'm going to end up saying something really arrogant

Saying this kind of things in an online forum come across as pretty nerd to my taste. I think so today and would think so back when I was 15 which was long time ago. Respect

Shields, Okami and Marquardt dont just have a winning record or fought for a title. In the case of Shields and Maquardt they actually won a major org tittle by the way.

They are fighters that remained top5 or close to it for pretty much a decade. They aren't just "good, solid fighters" as you label them. Good, solid fighters were constantly getting beat by them. This is what you don't understand.

They may not be all-time greats but they were certainly elite...they were recognized as such for every fellow fighter - not just training partners - and it's actually pretty ridiculous to see a guy in sherdog not only claiming otherwise but even bragging of having this elitist criteria you have that is not shared by any knowledgeable fan or fighter lol

Indeed, you are entittled to your opinion

This is off topic.
Dont take it personal, but:

Saying this kind of things in an online forum come across as pretty nerd to my taste. I think so today and would think so back when I was 15 which was long time ago. Respect
Dude - go away- marquadt or okami were never close /top 5 for a decade.
Okami lost most of his relevant fights - and here we go agsin( repeating myself).
Nate had a short stint as a top 185er then Anderson obliterated him before first round ended.... AND NEVER SNIFFED A UFC TITLE SHOT again. In fact , his palooka stage started to kick in.

Dude- you're becoming like a gnat. I've already, metaphorically, placed you across my knees and gave u a good spanking. You'll look back on this and thank me.

Dude - go away- marquadt or okami were never close /top 5 for a decade.
Okami lost most of his relevant fights - and here we go agsin( repeating myself).
Nate had a short stint as a top 185er then Anderson obliterated him before first round ended.... AND NEVER SNIFFED A UFC TITLE SHOT again. In fact , his palooka stage started to kick in.

Too much ignorance for being so arrogant dude
Marquardt was indeed ranked around top5 for a decade (if you have any other ranking outlet to show feel free to share it):
http://www.fightmatrix.com/fighter-profile/Nate+Marquardt/1697/

Let alone Shields.
Okami beat Marquardt and Shields (I know you are a fight finder geek but watch the actual fight and then comeback) while they were in their prime and unanimously ranked top5 in the world at MW and WW respectively

AND NEVER SNIFFED A UFC TITLE SHOT again. In fact , his palooka stage started to kick in.

Why do you scream like a sissy? Are u getting mad, relax

The funny thing is he actually "sniffed" a UFC tittle shot not once nor twice but three times as he was in 3 UFC tittle eliminators after he fought Silva.

Also won the Strikeforce belt by KOing Woodley, another guy who of course is not elite in your elitist book that you are so proud of.

Dude- you're becoming like a gnat. I've already, metaphorically, placed you across my knees and gave u a good spanking. You'll look back on this and thank me.

Just another textbook display of how to be a complete nerd in an online forum, courtesy of Franklin U.

Too much ignorance for being so arrogant dude
Marquardt was indeed ranked around top5 for a decade (if you have any other ranking outlet to show feel free to share it):
http://www.fightmatrix.com/fighter-profile/Nate+Marquardt/1697/

Let alone Shields.
Okami beat Marquardt and Shields (I know you are a fight finder geek but watch the actual fight and then comeback) while they were in their prime and unanimously ranked top5 in the world at MW and WW respectively

Why do you scream like a sissy? Are u getting mad, relax

The funny thing is he actually "sniffed" a UFC tittle shot not once nor twice but three times as he was in 3 UFC tittle eliminators after he fought Silva.

Also won the Strikeforce belt by KOing Woodley, another guy who of course is not elite in your elitist book that you are so proud of.

Just another textbook display of how to be a complete nerd in an online forum, courtesy of Franklin U.
Please with the bullshit...
My hand hurts- good night " mate" ( is that what u guys say ?)

Back