Proper Height for double ended bag?

X-Man

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've recently installed a double ended bag (the one with a cord attached to the top & bottom) in my garage. I'm wondering what is the ideal height the bag should be set at? Shoulder level, eye level.....??? Thanks in advance.

I don't know that there is a proper height, but I always like them set about chest/neck level. Then I stand my cousin on the opposite side after several beers and we see who can knock the sunglasses off the other guys face. There you go....my first advanced training technique is free.

shoulder level. i hate those things almost as much as speed bags.

I change the height on mine depending on what I feel like at the time. I don't think there's a specific height.

question: How high does the ceiling need to be a for a double end bag?

Shouldn't it just be at the level of an opponents head?

I’m practicing on both shoulder level and eye level. At eye level, it’s more challenging but more realistic if you’re gonna go toe to toe with someone your height or taller. At shoulder level, it’s easier but feels like training against someone shorter. Hitting the double end bag at shoulder level helps more with bending of the knee to dodge and positioning.

I usually like it at head level after in my stance, easier to practice hesdmovement and the punch position feels more boxing specific

At first I had it basically the level of my own head, but now I have it about half the length below that and think it's perfect. Why lower? My fist is aimed at the middle of the bag, but not necessarily aimed at the middle of an opponents face. My hook is looking for the chin, not the eyes.

The defence also feels more natural when it's swinging back at you. Like experiencing punches coming from where they would more naturally come from, rather than eye level.

I wouldn't put it shoulder length unless I'm 6'9 and only expecting to face shorter people.

Back