Protect yourself at all times brothers.

MMA Maine-iac

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
This isn't about condoms.

I've been going to physical therapy for about two months to help repair some neck and shoulder issues. Some bulging discs and protruding discs etc.

Most of these injuries are due to brick laying and not lifting. But now I have to remove some lifts for a bit, namely barbell squats and OHP. My two favorite lifts of course.

I thought of arguing with the PT but he's a former athlete and power lifter so it's probably in my best interest to heed the advice.

I wanted to encourage everyone to do their prehab so you don't have to rehab. Do the boring stretches and mobility work and you'll not end up like this old man.

Athletes and lifters are far more beat up than couch potatoes. Preach health and live in pain.

Athletes and lifters are far more beat up than couch potatoes. Preach health and live in pain.

Really depends on what your goals in lifting are. If you're pushing mobility and other qualities than top strength/speed then you're way more likely to feel healthy as you age.

I just gave myself a nasty muscle strain on a muscle that wraps from my mid-back around the side of my body. I started doing farmer's walks again, after a long layoff, but it looks like the way I sit at my desk for work is the culprit because the injured muscle is exactly the muscle that sometimes feels sore after long sessions over my laptop.

It feels like I'll still be able to train most things and I'll have to figure out what to do about this farmer's walk problem. More rehab-prehab for my posture, I guess.

Weights are a double edged sword. Can be the fountain of youth or the end of careers. Agree with OP. Keep it up but keep it safe. Respect your own limits so you can stay in the game longer.

I just gave myself a nasty muscle strain on a muscle that wraps from my mid-back around the side of my body. I started doing farmer's walks again, after a long layoff, but it looks like the way I sit at my desk for work is the culprit because the injured muscle is exactly the muscle that sometimes feels sore after long sessions over my laptop.

It feels like I'll still be able to train most things and I'll have to figure out what to do about this farmer's walk problem. More rehab-prehab for my posture, I guess.
I have terrible posture, which is probably why I have so many issues. PT is helping fix that. The stretches and mobility at least make me mindful to correct my posture if I slump for too long.
Simple chin tucks can do wonders.

Don't chase PRs. At least not on squats and DLs. Bench PRs won't kill you. Usually.

Last edited:
Don't chase PRs. At least not on squats and dlfs. Bench PRs won't kill you. Usually.
Chasing PRs won't cause injury. Poor form while doing so will.*

*The vast majority of the time, for most healthy individuals.

Make sure to consciously think how you want to move before moving and get used to moving safely and comfortably.

Quotes-1-9.jpg

Are you a commercial mason? Most of the ones I know that are really beat up we’re the union or commercial guys. I’ve been trying to be consistent with Tim Anderson’s original strength, along with hanging from a pull up bar and holding the knee raise position hanging from a bar, that helps my lower back more than anything. You have a lot more years on the trowel than me, I switched to commercial for the time being and noticed how much more wear and tear there is laying a quota rather than mixing up chimneys with stone walls with flatwork. Anyways, good stuff hope the pt works bud

You guys must keep O'Keeffes hand lotion in pocket. Just moving blocks around dries skin out in an hour.

Are you a commercial mason? Most of the ones I know that are really beat up we’re the union or commercial guys. I’ve been trying to be consistent with Tim Anderson’s original strength, along with hanging from a pull up bar and holding the knee raise position hanging from a bar, that helps my lower back more than anything. You have a lot more years on the trowel than me, I switched to commercial for the time being and noticed how much more wear and tear there is laying a quota rather than mixing up chimneys with stone walls with flatwork. Anyways, good stuff hope the pt works bud
We were residential. It was my dad's business and he's a grumpy ex marine that doesn't like anyone, so our crews never got above five people. Over the last 10 years it was just three of us. I was usually the mud man. So because we were so short handed, dad liked to work from dawn until dark. He finally retired, at the age of 80 :D

Back