Protein to carb ratios on Keto, refeeds

You guys are starting to provide some serious Keto motivation.

What other benefits noted?

Aw hell it's a big list.

Just google Ketogenic benefits and use the 1 year filter in google.
Lotta info on the 1st page.

You guys are starting to provide some serious Keto motivation.

What other benefits noted?

Google Dr Stephen Phinney, Dr Jeff Volek, Peter Attia MD, Dominic D'Agostino... Start there and watch, read, watch more, read more...

Personally I drink a LOT of olive oil. Just pour a bit into a cup with some water and swirl it around, goes right down. A green suppliment, many vitamins, 1 hamburger a day(no bun, just mustard), and some eggs.

I don't need to test for Ketones. My diet is absurdly keto.

I do shots of OO from time to time in a wine glass with water, lol. My favorite is macadamia nut oil, I use that in place of OO most of the time now, specially on salads. I do eat copious leaves and shit like broccoli and asparagus. My favorite is a fat shake I make with cream/eggs/butter/MCT/hemp oil/flax/whey and some other misc spices, like 150g in that thing, hah :p

How active are you? I ask because that seams like a rather small amount of protein, even for nutritional ketosis. It was weird at first for me to go down to like ~120-130, given that I'm a bigger guy and train rather hard several times a week, and used to consume double that whilst maintaining mass.

I have read and watched a lot about eat, sans the refeeds kinds to be honest.

What were your concrete experiences?

I dropped a lot of water weight, lost a few pounds of fat, and enjoyed that I tried the experiment. However, I felt pretty awful in ketosis, even after the adaptation phase was done. I never managed to adjust. The brain fog was too intense. I had much better luck doing a modified CKD.

I dropped a lot of water weight, lost a few pounds of fat, and enjoyed that I tried the experiment. However, I felt pretty awful in ketosis, even after the adaptation phase was done. I never managed to adjust. The brain fog was too intense. I had much better luck doing a modified CKD.

There is no brain fog with Keto. It's the opposite.
Sounds like you either ate too much protein/carbs or not enough oil/fat.

There is no brain fog with Keto..

For you maybe. Personally it makes me feel terrible physically and mentally. I nearly crashed my car last time because my brain was all over the place and I kept trancing out.

My wife has forbidden me from going keto ever again because I'm such a nightmare to be around.

Yeah I'd have to agree with grndzro here, while you were very likely doing everything right, if you still had brain fog/etc the adaptation phase was definitely not over, which would mean you probably weren't really "in ketosis" all the way, and your brain was still trying to figure out wtf to do.

Numbers and readings and plans can all seem perfect, but the real hallmarks that your adaptation phase has ended are the clarity and energy level changes. The water weight/etc at first is nice, but that's going to happen regardless. It can take months for some people to reach full nutritional ketosis, it took me ~12 days originally.

There are lots of factors that can slow adaption; stress, too much protein, not enough fat (its rough for folks can handle 80/15/5 ratios), too many net carbs for them, brutal and long training sessions, lots of long distance cardio, etc. But once you hit it, it's glorious :)

I'm not sure if there are folks who simply can't adapt physiologically no matter what they do, that'd be an interesting study...

For you maybe. Personally it makes me feel terrible physically and mentally. I nearly crashed my car last time because my brain was all over the place and I kept trancing out.

My wife has forbidden me from going keto ever again because I'm such a nightmare to be around.

Were you at the point where you only needed a few hours of sleep a day?
I mean like 3-4 hours sleep felt like 10?
And you woke up with cottonmouth needing a huge glass of water.

The physical weariness could be due to not enough salt/potassium/magnesium. You need extra in Keto. I carry a vial of lite salt(50/50) salt/potassium with me at all times.

Last edited:
Were you at the poing where you only needed a few hours of sleep a day?

The physical weariness could be due to not enough salt/potassium/magnesium. You need extra in Keto. I carry a vial of lite salt(50/50) salt/potassium with me at all times.

Never had any reduction in the need for sleep but felt thirsty a lot. I've done it to the letter and for prolonged periods. Doesn't suit me at all and I can't really see the point in it for me personally.

I think I'm pretty sensitive to low blood sugar.

This may be a dumb question but will a lot of exorcise help you get to ketosis faster?

Yes it will.
It helps deplete the glycogen in the muscles. Forcing the body to use fat.

I agree, but if he wants to maximize ketosis he needs to have the correct diet.

you tried it for one day? you know keto diet is not about what (well, it is but as a means of achieving a state), but about the state of ketosis which your body goes into after about 1 week (plus/minus a few days) of eating like that?
in other words, you didnt try keto.

I thought you could figure out from the post I didn't really try keto by your definition, I should have written "I thought I'd try keto", you're right.

I've tried keto in the past for 2-3 weeks, and I see little positives to it for me. I had no brain fog, I didn't even feel any different than when eating carbs. I wanted to try a keto diet, mainly to lose some fat, but for that I'd have to be in a caloric deficit - keto didn't make that any easier, so I see no reason for it. It is delicious though.

The recommendations of keto on this forum seem a bit too much. Statements like "Sleeping 5 hours and being more alert than sleeping 12" , "It can take months for some people to reach full nutritional ketosis, it took me ~12 days originally. But once you hit it, it's glorious" give it that mystical, snakeoil-salesman vibe. Not that I would think anyone would be trying to sell anything, but it doesn't exactly sound like objective observations of what keto really does.

I feel fine on absurdly high carbs like >700g daily, I feel fine on a <10g carb diet. If you feel like there's something wrong about how you feel with your current diet, sure, try keto. If you feel fine, I doubt it's gonna give you magic superpowers that will help you ignore lack of sleep noticeably better. Placebo is real though.

Were you at the point where you only needed a few hours of sleep a day?

Yeah I'd have to agree with grndzro here, while you were very likely doing everything right, if you still had brain fog/etc the adaptation phase was definitely not over, which would mean you probably weren't really "in ketosis" all the way, and your brain was still trying to figure out wtf to do.

Numbers and readings and plans can all seem perfect, but the real hallmarks that your adaptation phase has ended are the clarity and energy level changes. The water weight/etc at first is nice, but that's going to happen regardless. It can take months for some people to reach full nutritional ketosis, it took me ~12 days originally.

There are lots of factors that can slow adaption; stress, too much protein, not enough fat (its rough for folks can handle 80/15/5 ratios), too many net carbs for them, brutal and long training sessions, lots of long distance cardio, etc. But once you hit it, it's glorious :)

I'm not sure if there are folks who simply can't adapt physiologically no matter what they do, that'd be an interesting study...

Whoa whoa, slow down here. Just like any diet, any training program, any medication, etc. You have people who will respond differently and to varying degrees.

There is a huge genetic component to responses, and keto is no different. I can practically guarantee you that someone with Inuit ancestry is going to respond better to keto than someone of Irish descent.

I applaud the enthusiasm some of you guys are showing for your diet of choice, but let's temper that with the understanding that not everyone will share your experiences. I know there's nothing insipid with what you're saying, but telling a person they WILL experience XYZ on a diet or they aren't doing it right isn't really on the level.

Whoa whoa, slow down here. Just like any diet, any training program, any medication, etc. You have people who will respond differently and to varying degrees.

There is a huge genetic component to responses, and keto is no different. I can practically guarantee you that someone with Inuit ancestry is going to respond better to keto than someone of Irish descent.

I applaud the enthusiasm some of you guys are showing for your diet of choice, but let's temper that with the understanding that not everyone will share your experiences. I know there's nothing insipid with what you're saying, but telling a person they WILL experience XYZ on a diet or they aren't doing it right isn't really on the level.

You need to go look up the chemistry behind Keto. There really isn't anything in it that genetics can influence besides ratios. Diebetics both ways benefit. It is a metibolic function in every cell in your body.

If you are missing any function in the Keto cycle that would prevent it you wouldn't be alive. The keto ratio's have already been beaten to death by several studies and the information is available.

There is a genetic component to how people deal with carb diets. Not Ketogenic.
do some research.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ketogenic
There is plenty of info and studies from very respectable people. If you follow the diet the changes happen plain and simple. All you need to do is tweak it for your needs.

Barring specific medical conditions that would make Keto dangerous it will work for everyone if you follow the proper ratios.

I've been on keto since last September, lost almost 55 lbs, my blood pressure is down to normal specs, my lipid panel looks fantastic, and no more reflux. I can't fathom eating any other way at all.

I keep it under 20gm of carbohydrate a day, 80-100gm protein and the remaining caloric needs made with fats. I just turned 50 and have never been healthier. Just my two cents.

IMO (dry) refeeds shouldnt be considered until you have to mind concrete athletic performance or experience an absolute weight-loss plateau despite immaculate diet at a projected deficit that cannot be attributed to daily fluctuations (water retention, full bowel from yesterday). For me, that happened at ~12%BF coming down from ~23%. One dry refeed a week (to minimize water retention) at maintenance from that point on will do WONDERS for continued weightloss, focus and morale. As you go lower, you can have them at closer intervals. Calories are still king though, and water retention can give a false impression on the scale though.

Hi,
I know this is an old post however I was searching online trying to find the proper method for dry refeed and I came across this one.
So the question I have is that, what is the maximum amount of water you consume during a dry refeed day?
And is there is a specific timing for this consumption, or you can consume that amount any time during the day?
Also if you can add any notes regarding it I'll really appreciate it.

Back